Also new here with some questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Also new here with some questions

Postby alviarin » Wed May 02, 2012 03:22 pm

Just wondering how you are doing? Still getting weird BP readings?

Last pregnancy my BP readings jumped around a lot, but not to the extent you are describing. My monitor was consistent with readings I got at the doc's office. I got more and more high readings as I got closer to term. The MFM told me to call if my BP stayed above 140/90 for a half hour (ie didn't go down with rest) or to head in for monitoring if it got to 150/100.

I guess it could be your monitor but just a thought- are you taking your BP correctly (after sitting quietly for a few minutes, not too close to meals or caffeine....)?

For more on how to take BP:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... rticle.jsp
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

kkinnell

Postby kkinnell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 06:24 pm

That makes sense, Alviarin--the midwife made it seem like it was the level above a trace. I've honestly not had the energy to call and ask yet, though I am going to ask for a 24 hour urine before my next appointment in 2 weeks.

I took my home blood pressure monitor to a Minute Clinic and had them take my bp and compared it to mine--it was really close, my reading was just a few points lower on both numbers. So now I've been checking it regularly, but it's making me crazy. It'll be nice and low and then have crazy spikes and then go down again. For example, I checked it at 5:30 and it said 153/83, which was a little high, so I rechecked at 6:00 and it said 158/119 (!!), which can't be right, can it? So I checked again at 6:15 and it was 132/59. I only recheck if it seems high the first time (I'm honestly not just sitting here and taking my blood pressure all day!) and I feel like I'd be irresponsible to not take it at home, but I'm certainly not calling my midwife every time this happens, so I'm also not sure what good it's doing anyone....

Anyway, sorry for that rant. I can't decide if I should be worried, or if I should throw the darn thing away! I'll update when I talk to the midwife. Thanks again for all the advice!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 09:40 am

Maybe she meant concentration like 30 mg/dL? Which I think corresponds to 1+.

Dipsticks can be off depending on if you are dehydrated (or have a uti or somesuch) but if you get another positive dipstick reading or continue to feel off I would ask for a 24 hour urine test. Some women have experienced agitation and hyper-reflexes as a symptom of preeclampsia.

I'm glad to hear you are checking your BP at home. I took my BP twice a day last pregnancy after my pressures started acting up.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:04 pm

BP fluctuates during the day, which is normal. My doctor said to take it every day at the same time. To make sure your home monitor give yo you the same result yuo can bring it next time to your docs office and compare.

I know how much pressure it can be to watch out for symptoms, but if you are not certain, you can always post here and ask. :-)

I still wonder what the reading of 30+ meant that your midwife reported?
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Iheartjulio

Postby Iheartjulio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:29 pm

Did they do a 24 hour urine on you yet? If not it might be worth requesting one just so you can get an accurate idea of how much protein you really have.
[color=#FF0000]Mom to Isabella born 4/20/2011 delivered via c section due to sever Pre-E at 29 weeks 5 days.
Starting TTC again[/color]
MC 09/09/2011

kkinnell

Postby kkinnell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:18 pm

Thanks so much ladies!

My midwife actually said my protein was 30 +...She was referring to a different scale than I'm familiar with, and she said that it was more than a trace. Seems less helpful right now than it did in the moment! :lol:

I am feeling very lucky that she is so proactive after reading some of the other stories on the board. The docs at Labor and Delivery gave me a rundown of the classic preeclampsia symptoms and told me to call my midwife or to come in if anything "feels off"--which is great, but feels like a lot of pressure, you know what I mean?

I do have a bp cuff at home and have been using it, though it's been giving me strange readings--pretty high and pretty low within a half hour. But I used it after getting home from the hospital today and resting for a bit, and it read almost exactly what they'd been getting at the hospital. Makes me wonder if I'm actually seeing my bp fluctuate...?

Thanks again!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 07:59 pm

Hello Kristen,

Welcome to the boards! I'd think watching out for symptoms (here is a list of all of them: http://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms) and calling your doctor should anything not feel or seem right, is probably the best you can do right now. PE can come in very quickly, so if you have any reason to fear you might have it, it is good to know what to look out for. Perhaps you want to get a BP monitor to check our BP at home if you don't already do so. This might make you feel a bit better and you can show your healthcare providers if there seems to be a pattern, or if your BP is off.
I am not sure why your protein was +3 at your midwife and only trace at L&D. Perhaps you can call back your midwife and ask her about her readings? On the positive side, it is good that she sent you to L&D right away to get checked out! What have the doctors said at L&D? Where you given any instructions on what to look out for and/or in what case to come back?
Please also feel free to post your questions here anytime :)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Apr 24, 2012 07:56 pm

Hi There,

I know there are many more experienced mommas here who will be able to answer your questions. While no one can predict the future, we can stay on top of it, and I'd want some extra monitoring for awhile. When we had some spikes and odd symptoms, I started to get seen weekly just to keep eyes on things. I also monitor my bp at home so that our doctors have a clearer picture of what my BP looks like during a regular day, not just in the doctor's office.

Just my 2 cents! :) So glad they were proactive and sent you to L&D to be checked out!

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

kkinnell

Also new here with some questions

Postby kkinnell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 05:52 pm

Hi out there :) --

I'm 37 and 24 weeks pregnant with my third child (my kids are 13 and almost-9). I was induced at 38 weeks with my second pregnancy because my doctor thought I was "pre-preeclamptic" meaning that I had gained 7 pounds over a weekend, my normally wonderful blood pressure was elevated, and I had protein in my urine. I don't believe I met the diagnostic criteria for preeclampsia, but he didn't want to risk going there since I was already term.

This pregnancy has been relatively uneventful except that my blood pressure started creeping up around 16 weeks. It's normally around 115-ish/60-ish, but was up to 130/80 at my 16 week appointment, back down into the 120s/70s at 20 weeks, and at 22weeks (at a different doc for my level two ultrasound) it was 150/75. After that high reading, I called my midwives to let them know that I'd also been having some swelling in my hands and mild headaches. They told me to keep track of my symptoms and come in for my normal appointment, which was today (24+2).

This morning, several hours before my appointment, I had a strange episode where I felt incredibly anxious--my heart was beating quickly and I had trouble taking deep breaths. It lasted about an hour and a half, then subsided. It felt like I might feel if I were very nervous about something, but I didn't have an emotional component to go along with it, just the physical sensations. I kept my appointment as usual and there my blood pressure was 138/94 and I had protein in my urine (she said 30+, but I don't know what that means--more than a trace she said). So, she sent me over to Labor and Delivery to get checked out. There my blood pressures were *beautiful* 120s/60-70s, there was only a trace of protein in my urine and all my blood work came back perfect.

I was of course glad to be sent home, but couldn't get them to answer this question, and was hoping some of you wise women could give me some insight. Is this the beginning of preeclampsia? I mean, I guess I'd like a gauge as to how concerned I need to be right now, mostly so that I know how to advocate for myself. I know none of us are able to predict the future, but does this sound like preeclampsia to you? Or does it sound like a fluke? Any thoughts you have would be so appreciated.

Thank you!

Kirsten

Return to “Ask the Experienced”