at what point should I worry...?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: at what point should I worry...?

Postby alviarin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:26 pm

Hi how are you feeling today? I was just wondering which nurse gave you the call-in numbers? And maybe if it was the OB office you could call & get a second opinion from the nurse at the MFM office?

During my last pregnancy my MFM was more cautious than my OB in terms of BP cutoffs. I was supposed to go to L&D for 150/100 (either number) & call if my BP stayed above 140/90 for a half hour (ie didn't go down with rest).

The shortness of breath worries me since that was my main pre-e symptom with my son. I also gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. That being said my asthma has been bothering me lately maybe because the pollen has been so bad.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Iheartjulio

Postby Iheartjulio » Sat Mar 24, 2012 08:52 pm

I just wanted to let you know that my call in numbers were 160/95 I believe. And my normal was just about the same as yours. I would def call in if your symptoms continue to worsen. Did they start you on BP meds yet? And you can always request another 24 hour urine to put your mind at ease, or learn what is going on as well.
[color=#FF0000]Mom to Isabella born 4/20/2011 delivered via c section due to sever Pre-E at 29 weeks 5 days.
Starting TTC again[/color]
MC 09/09/2011

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Sat Mar 24, 2012 06:21 pm

Welcome to the forums! I am sorry you had to find us here, but I am glad that you did.
I think you will get some better responses to you BP question from some of our posters who have more experience than I do. I know that some women here are allowed to run much higher pressures than I can handle, so that may be the reason that they gave you such a high call in number. Have you discussed the headache with your doctors? Headaches are tricky because they are so common in pregnancy, but they can also be a serious sign of PE. We always recommend calling in, and that is tough when you feel like you are falling through the cracks. It is still a good idea if you have any of the nasty PE symptoms (including headaches, feeling worse, etc.).
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

leecore

Postby leecore » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 am

suppose I should add: I have days where I am so exhausted feeling, that all I want to do is stay in bed. Even though, I know that's not going to happen with being a SAHM and having a husband that works the graveyard shift. I am nearly always "slightly anemic". Started taking iron in October. Level was fine 2 weeks ago, now I'm low again. Tho, no one ever gives me a number. This is pregnancy #5 for me, with 3 previous successful births. I am overweight.

leecore

at what point should I worry...?

Postby leecore » Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:51 am

Hi everyone! New to the board. I'm getting discouraged and figured this is the best place for me to stop in and have a chitchat with people that may understand what I'm going through.

I have not been diagnosed with PreE, yet. I'm seeing Maternal Fetal Medicine once every 2 weeks for gestational diabetes and do stress tests at my local OB, 2x a week. I have not had an ultrasound since 12/22.
Now with my BP: I typically run 120/80. From week 15-20ish, I ran about 130/80. Now since about week 31 (currently 33w4d) I have been running from 138-160//68-98.
I have nearly constant migraines, floaters throughout the day, shortness of breath, nausea, some edema and lots of indigestion. I was also sent to a cardiologist this week because last Friday, my pulse was 134. At the cardiologist, it ran 119 (BP 138/68). EKG and echo came out fine. Doc said he thinks my racing heart rate is probably from PreE. Did a 24 hour urine collection on 3/15 and it came back as 159. Now today, after reaching 160/88, having floaters while on the table and dropping down to 140/88 with rest, the nurse said that I should monitor my BP at home and call if I reach 160/90!! That just seems so high! I'm starting to wonder if maybe I am just seeing too many doctors (3 docs, 2 nurses now at regular OB and 1 doc, 2 nurses at MFM) Am I just sitting at borderline, am I one of the ones that doesn't have much protienuria, does it have to become eclampsia before someone pays much attention? I just don't know what to do any more.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”