What Symptoms Come First?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
txmom7

Re: What Symptoms Come First?

Postby txmom7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 05:29 pm

For me it has been feeling 'funny'. Something just not right which coincided with my BP rising. Then came spots, headaches and finally protein in my urine and decreased output. LFTs and swelling were never part of my picture. The final sign was the cola colored urine and that didn't show until the immediate pp time, before I even left l&d for postpartum.

ssaunders

Postby ssaunders » Tue Feb 28, 2012 03:24 pm

My first symptom with my first was swelling and seeing spots at the same time around 28 weeks. I am seeing spots now at 25 weeks, but no swelling.

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:32 pm

My first pregnancy, it was the quad screen, then her growth, then severe heartburn that became upper right quadrant pain,then swelling, then hellp. My bp was normal throughout.

My second pregnancy, I also had severe heartburn around 18 wks and it really freaked me out due to my history, but the pregnancy ended up being ok.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

libby123

Postby libby123 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 08:57 pm

The first sign for me was at 6 weeks pregnant, when I was bleeding and my hormone levels were not as they should be, suggesting a shallow or weak implantation. Then, at my first trimester combined screening, my PAPPA levels were very low and my HCG levels were high, again suggesting placental problems.

After that, my first symptom was high blood pressure. In fact, I had high blood pressure at 26 weeks and extremely high blood pressure at 29 weeks. However when I was first hospitalized at 32 weeks my protein was still just in the 100s. My blood work was always completely normal, throughout the entire pregnancy even through delivery and afterwards. I had some minor swelling, but not major. I produced less urine than normal, but not out of the acceptable range.

So my main symptom the entire time was high blood pressure. My blood and other organs didn't seem to be affected much. It wasn't until 35 weeks that I was officially diagnosed because my 24 hour urine was in the 400s.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

Jax2011

What Symptoms Come First?

Postby Jax2011 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 08:31 pm

Correct me if Im wrong but it seems from what I have read that elevated BP tends to be a later symptom of pre-e. What are some earlier signs that pre-e might be coming? What order do your organs start to break down or is it different for each person?

With my son I had horriable indegistion then started to feel yucky all the time. It was weeks later I started swelling and it wasnt until about 4-5 weeks after I started swelling that my BP were up and there was protein in my urine. At that point I was put on hospital bed rest and delievered a week later. With this pregnancy (19 weeks currently) it appears as if I am falling back in the same track... indegistion has started and I am dreading the next few weeks.

Any insight on this would be great! :D
Momma to DS born 30+3 at 2lbs 10oz to pre-e.
Baby #2 due in July 2012.... crossing our fingers for a pre-e free pregnacny!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”