BP reading of 178/110... go to ER or okay to wait till tmw?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rhodges

Re: BP reading of 178/110... go to ER or okay to wait till t

Postby rhodges » Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:39 am

Thinking of you and your sweet baby!

GeorgiaGirl

Postby GeorgiaGirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 03:48 am

Baby was born last night via c section, screaming beautifully, only 2lb 8oz but a tiny fighter! More details later when I can type on something oter than my phone.... THANK YOU ALL for your support through this rough time!!!
Julia, age 40
six first-trimester miscarriages
expecting a miracle baby May 3, 2012
diagnosed with chronic hypertension at 22 weeks; high risk of PE (extremely low PAPP-A, bilateral uterine artery notching and other risk factors)
diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 27w5d
delivered my miracle baby, John Jr. ("Jack") at 29w1d, 2 pounds 8 ounces of absolute perfection

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 02:50 pm

One thing about these pregnancies: the placenta is raising your anxiety levels on purpose. Jacking your cortisol levels through the roof affects bloodflow to the placenta, so it cheerfully raises your cortisol levels. Stupid placenta.

I feel mean saying this, but I'm *really glad* you are still in the hospital. I like that they are buying you some time under close observation but that you are as safe as you're gonna get, with people ready to move you to a crash section at the drop of a hat if you suddenly start abrupting. Lowering your bp can lower perfusion to the baby, so one thing that can happen is for kiddo to develop decels - this is what happened to me - and then getting the babe out before things go completely haywire is waaaaay more likely if you're in the hospital and only one minute from the theatre.

Hopefully you will not *need* any such things, and they'll be able to push you farther and then induce. But I'm glad they're there if you need them.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

libby123

Postby libby123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 07:17 pm

Georgia girl,

As the queen of anxiety, I know a lot about anxiety meds. Just so you know, Zoloft takes a month to start working and at first can make you much more anxious. I have been on it for a while now and at first it made me feel much worse.

A more helpful choice might be a benzo, like Ativan or Xanax. In small doses, I doubt they will be a problem for the pregnancy. They will provide you with immediate relief. Please ask about them!

Thanks for the update, praying for you, and hang in there. I'm sorry your BP readings are high. I am glad you are in the best place possible for you and that you are being monitored closely.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 04:01 pm

I'm glad you're holding in there! Sorry it's progressing but it seems they've got you under a close eye. Here's hoping you can keep that baby in a little longer.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

GeorgiaGirl

Postby GeorgiaGirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 03:53 pm

And...? Are you still in the hospital, or have they sent you home?
So sorry I haven't been ableo to update -- hospital wifi has been down. Yes, I'm still in the hospital and will be here until I deliver.

BPs have been awful... Just now it was 180/95 and that's on 500mg aldomet 4x/ day and epresaline (sp?) 40mg 4x/day. Finished another 24-hour urine and it was in the 500s (up from 336 a week ago), so creeping up fast.

I agreed to try Zoloft for my extreme anxiety... when I get a slightly high BP reading, I panic, they take it 5 minutes later and it's even higher which makes me panic more etc. I'd like to at least remove the anxiety factor from the equation.

Good news is baby is still doing well with normal blood flow through the cord. As my MFM just said, as long as he's doing well, which he is so far, he's better off staying put.

29 weeks today and praying we can hang on one more week!!
Julia, age 40
diagnosed with chronic hypertension at 22 weeks; high risk of PE (extremely low PAPP-A, bilateral uterine artery notching and other risk factors)
delivered my miracle baby, John Jr. ("Jack") at 29w1d, 2 pounds 8 ounces of absolute perfection

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 02:03 pm

And...? Are you still in the hospital, or have they sent you home?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

libby123

Postby libby123 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:34 am

Georgia girl - That is great that your blood pressure is getting more under control. I remember that all I wanted to do was go home when I was in the hospital. But in hindsight, I probably should have stayed there because I was more disciplined about my bedrest there. When someone is bringing you all your meals and the bathroom is so close, and the nurses can take care of you, you will stay in bed and rest like you are supposed to.

It seems like you have your laptop there, since you are on the computer. That was my lifesaver in the hospital. I used to watch episodes of TV shows on youtube and chat with my friends on facebook. Speaking of which, if you would like someone to talk to on facebook, PM me your facebook name and I will friend you and we can chat! I remember feeling really isolated while in the hospital.

My protien wasn't officially preeclamptic till around 35 weeks, but my blood pressure was in the 190s/120s at 29 weeks in the triage. And I made it to 36 weeks with bedrest and labetalol. So you could definitely make it.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

GeorgiaGirl

Postby GeorgiaGirl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Thank you! Yes, I'm glad they've been monitoring baby and me so closely for sure.

I asked my nurse if I was crazy to hope I can make it to 37 weeks and she said not at al, that that is their goal for me. She had pre-e 29 years ago and made it 12 weeks after dx. Her kidneys were starting to fail from such a long time of HTN, but she said they didn't have as good of drugs back then. She gave birth to a health 9-pound baby. I know each case is different but it's encouraging to know its even a possibility for me to make it to term or close to it.

BP just now 125/75!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! New meds definitely working....
Julia, age 40

libby123

Postby libby123 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 09:27 pm

Georgia girl - I just saw this post and I wish I had seen it sooner. I am so glad they admitted you to the hospital and that you went there. Stress/anxiety/emotions can cause a temporary rise in blood pressure, but when it stays up like that it is a problem.

Rest assured that you are in the best possible hands there at the hospital, even though I know its no fun (I remember so clearly). Keep resting and hanging in there.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”