Not chronic hypertension?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
MissingMolly

Re: Not chronic hypertension?

Postby MissingMolly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks, Alexis and Caryn for your input. And thanks, Caryn, for the link to the report.

I realized in reading over my post that I sound a bit rude about my new doctor. I'm very happy with her so far--I just want to make sure nothing is overlooked if/when I get pregnant again. I guess I'll just have to give my body more time and see what happens. I've been having a really hard time, and sometimes I freak out a little bit.
:oops:
Mommy to Molly, who was born alive on Oct. 29, 2011 at 23+3 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome and passed away 3 hours later. Loved and missed every minute of every day...."If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever."

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 pm

She's probably thinking that because your case was so severe and so early, it might take longer for your body to heal. This is true - they have pushed the recovery time to 6 months recently. But as Alexis says, technically a rise in pressures before 20 weeks and/or a prolonged recovery of more than 12 weeks is considered unmasking of chronic hypertension until proven otherwise, too. I can see waiting a bit longer, to let your system recover.

FWIW, I normalized at around 120/80 around 3-4 months postpartum and continued a slow drift down to 100/65 for the next several years. I consider myself a chronic but am not medicated.

Here's a link you may not have seen: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/resources/hyperten_preg/
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:30 pm

I developed chronic HTN at 28. Unmasked by pregnancy #1 and never normal again. And no one else in my family had it so young, even though there's a history of developing it in middle age.

My understanding is, that if your BP rises before 20 weeks it's considered chronic... even if it ultimately goes back to normal afterward. Eventually, probably, your baseline will rise. It's like a warning sign. I think, though I'm not sure, that you're still not far enough out to be confident of how it's going to go longer term. I know members on here have had postpartum BP issues for up to a year.

I would absolutely keep an eye on it. My BP did go down somewhat for several months after delivery, though it always remained in the prehypertensive stage before going back up again and worsening further. So there can definitely be some changes, and I would be proactive in monitoring your blood pressure and go back in if it stays high.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

MissingMolly

Not chronic hypertension?

Postby MissingMolly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 03:31 pm

I went to see a new doctor about getting on antidepressants (dropped my old one because when I told her I was depressed and crying about losing my baby, she asked me if I had seen an eye doctor recently and had my eyes been leaking a lot lately), and my new doctor was so much better. She spent a good amount of time with me, was very compassionate, and told me to call her anytime about anything. I'm so relieved that it went well.

I told her about how I've gotten tested for autoimmune and clotting disorders, which have all been negative. The only thing that's left is the question of chronic hypertension. When I brought this up she was really skeptical, saying that my blood pressure was so perfect before I got pregnant, and she doubts that hypertension is an issue for me at this point because I'm "so young" (I'm going to be 40 this year). And though hypertension runs on both sides of the family, it doesn't tend to start being a problem until they hit their 50s.

My blood pressure still hasn't returned to its pre-pregnant readings, and I'm wondering about this. My doctor used to be an OB and said she is very experienced in dealing with HELLP and preeclampsia, but her response to the BP issue is kind of making me doubt if she fully knows what she's talking about. Am I making too much of this?
Mommy to Molly, who was born alive on Oct. 29, 2011 at 23+3 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome and passed away 3 hours later. Loved and missed every minute of every day...."If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever."

Return to “Ask the Experienced”