Just Gave Birth, Have Pre-eclampsia and I have Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
123teresapeace

Re: Just Gave Birth, Have Pre-eclampsia and I have Questions

Postby 123teresapeace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 07:27 pm

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for the encouragement. Zoe was 2lbs. 4 oz. at birth. In the first week she went down to 1 lb. 12oz. but gained the weight back quickly. Now 26 days after birth she weighs 3 lb. 5 oz. she is breathing on her own, moved to an open crib today out of her isolette, and is taking 2/3rds of her feedings from a bottle. She is truly our little miracle baby and when I think of her I know that God really answered a lot of prayers. We are so grateful, words cannot describe our thankfulness. I feel that I am still quite emotional after all this. The post partum pre-eclampsia has me concerned. My doctors did not mention this to me. As a matter a fact, it seemed to us that they were not nearly as concerned for my health after the delivery. I told the doctor I was scared about being re-hospitalized due to blood pressure after delivery and she told me not to worry. She said that patients are often concerned about that but that it usually does not happen. I am reading some of the stories on this site and do have concerns. I did not know about that condition until reading about it on this site. I have been monitoring my BP on my own, trying to continue with my weight loss and keep pumping pumping pumping.

Thank you again for your encouragement. It means A LOT to know that you can live a normal life after all this with a healthy baby.

Thanks again!

tracym

Postby tracym » Tue Jan 24, 2012 06:03 pm

Welcome :)

How are you both now? You mentioned Zoe is quite tiny, what was her birthweight? She may always be on the small side or she may not. My son was 5lb 14oz at 37 weeks so was on the small side. He is still on the small side at 11 years old (50lbs). My daughter was 4lb 2oz at 33 weeks. She was small until she figured out how to eat solid food at about 9 months and is now quite tall for her age and she's 44 lbs at 7 years old.

I can only answer from my experience, but my life is completely normal post PE, with the exception that I now seem to be developing chronic hypertension (my youngest is about to turn 7). I am 39 and overweight, with a family history so it's not surprising. I stayed on bp meds for 12 weeks with my first baby, and I think only about 8 weeks with my second. I was able to continue to do all of things things I did prior to pregnancy fairly soon after delivery (a month maybe? It's a bit of a blur now).
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)

123teresapeace

Postby 123teresapeace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess for me the biggest thing is that I so want to be a mommy to my baby girl. I read the posting of others that have lost their beautiful little angels and I cannot stop crying over it. I am so grateful for our sweet little girl and want to be the best mommy I can be. I am afraid that pre-eclampsia and its effects may continue to disrupt what I would have been able to do for her. My little Zoe is very tiny due from what the doctors have said was an issue with her getting the nutrients she needed in the womb. We have been told this is part of the pre-eclampsia. She is gaining weight and is progressing very well according to the doctors. I understand that I may have chronic hypertension as a result of the pre-eclampsia. I was not on BP meds before my pregnancy however my BP's were in the pre-hypertensive range. I am also very over weight. Throughout the last portion of my pregnancy till now I have lost 35lbs. I hope the weight loss will have the effect of helping me get off the BP meds. I just want and am praying that my health will get back to some sense of being normal so that I can enjoy my baby, take care of her, and have a life that is what it was before pregnancy.

Can anyone tell me what life is like for them post pre-eclampsia. Are you able to take care of your baby, work, and do the normal things you did before you developed this condition?

My doctor is careful what she says. I guess because she does not want to promise anything. I do appreciate all your answers and help.

Take care.

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:31 am

Hello Teresa! I'm glad you found us but sorry you had to!

You're at risk of post-partum preeclampsia for up to 6 weeks post-partum. From what I understand, docs usually say that if your pressures are still high after 6 weeks post-partum that you are considered to have chronic hypertension, but some of our members have been able to stop bp meds after 3months, 6 months, even a few years pp.

I'm glad your daughter is doing well after being born at 31 weeks! My understanding is that preeclampsia itself isn't a huge risk factor for future issues, but prematurity alone has some risks.

Please ask more questions! We've been quiet around here after the holidays, but we're around and we'll do our best!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

cjd1975

Postby cjd1975 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:30 am

I developed Preeclampsia 5 days postpartum with a full term infant. My BP was 160/90 and up when I returned to the hospital. I was on 2 BP meds (Labetolol and Procardia) for 3 weeks and then was able to come off them and my BP returned to normal. Two years later and my BP is WNL.

123teresapeace

Just Gave Birth, Have Pre-eclampsia and I have Questions

Postby 123teresapeace » Sat Jan 21, 2012 04:07 pm

Hi,

I just gave birth to my daughter 22 days ago. I am still having elevated pressures mostly in the 140's over 80's and 90's. When are you considered to have fully recovered from pre-eclampsia? When you pressures are back in the normal range for you? I was not on BP meds prior to pregnancy however I did notice that when I would take my BP prior to pregnancy my pressures were in the pre-hypertensive range. Was anyone else in the same situation and did your pressures return to normal or did you have to stay on BP meds indefinately? I am only 35 and do not want to have to battle high blood pressure this young. I currently take 200mg of Labetalol every eight hours. I take my BP before my next dose as I do not want to take the medicine if my BP happens to be low. During the discharge teaching I was told not to take a dose if my BP registered 120/70. I noticed that toward the end of the eight hours my BP is in that 140/90 to 130/80 range which is much better than it was at the hospital. Can I take that to mean I am getting better? Also, how long does it usually take before being released to return to work? Can women that have had pre-eclampsia return to a normal working life? My daughter was born at 31 weeks and two days. She seems to be doing very well from what the doctors have told us. Will she have any longterm issues from my pre-eclampsia? Thank you for your time. I was scared and drugged a lot of the time when I was in the hospital. Now that I am home, I have had more time to think and formulate questions. Thanks for helping me with my questions.
Teresa

Return to “Ask the Experienced”