Needing Some Guidance

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
User avatar
rosemary
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2360
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 09:02 pm
Location: Central, PA

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby rosemary » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 am

Just checking in on you. So very glad that your Mom will be with you. Keeping you close in thought and prayer.
Rosemary - 47 - Central, PA
Momma to Kayleigh 8/25/88 - 36 weeks
Elliott 8/29/04 - lost at 20 weeks due to severe PE/HELLP
Proud Grandma to Max Allen 10/19/10.

blythe
Registered User
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby blythe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 08:47 am

I'm so glad your mother is joining you soon. I wish we had more members down in Australia so one of us could come see you, too!

It sounds like your medical team is taking good care of you, thoughts and prayers to you and your little girl. Please keep us updated as you're able.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

raspbeari
Registered User
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 06:21 pm

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby raspbeari » Sun Feb 05, 2012 02:01 am

I'm thinking of you and hoping that you and baby are okay.

zaras_mummy
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:02 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby zaras_mummy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 00:22 am

Hi everyone well I am still hanging in there but the the drs have told me I am hanging on by a thread. They are trying to balance trying to keep our little girl in there as long as possible to give her the best chance and trying not to push my body to far. They increased bp meds last night when it started spiking again and my urine output has decreased I now have a catheter so they can monitor my output closely. They are running labs hourly now but I can feel my body changing I feel terrible and starting to get that horrible PE feeling and my rib pain is getting more frequent. The renal team and cardiologist are pushing for delivery my kidneys are not doing well and I had a echo yesterday and half of my heart is enlarged. I know that delivery could happen at anytime I got the full dose of steroids which I am pleased about. I am 25wks and 2 days now so each day improves her chances. Blythe I am a fair distance from most of you I live in Australia but it looks like my mother is coming to join me soon she is just trying to organise things. I have been told now there is no way of moving me but at least now I know for certain. They did say though if she is reasonably healthy they may look at airlifting her closer to home when she is strong enough but that will still be quite a few weeks after she is born. I am keeping everything crossed that things don't take a sudden turn for the worst.
Last edited by zaras_mummy on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blythe
Registered User
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby blythe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm glad you've gotten a few more days staying pregnant, were they able to complete both rounds of steroids?

Can I ask where you are? We don't do official house calls or anything as a foundation, but if you're near any of us I know we'd do our best to at least come see you! I hate to think of you sick so far from home!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

User avatar
caryn
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:36 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby caryn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 02:29 pm

I wish you were closer so I could help.

Please keep us posted as you're able. Everyone here is worrying about you.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

zaras_mummy
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:02 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby zaras_mummy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 04:17 pm

Hi everyone thank you so much for your words of support. So far my body is holding on my 24hr came back at 11200 my kidneys are not doing to well. My liver function started to rise suddenly and platelets are starting to dive but have now stabilized which I am pleased about. My bp has settled at around 165/100 I am now on max labetalol and have started alomat(sp?) but we still have a bit more room to go up with that one. My swelling is horrible and very painful but good news is I am 25wks today. I am still here by myself but my son(15) the beautiful little boy that he is takes a 40 min bus ride everyday to see me even after major surgery on his hand. I think they are have been giving me endone to try and and relieve the headaches but they are horrible. The big debate is the mag drip some drs say yes and others are not just yet there main concern is I have developed eclampsia before. My husband has been in contact with my travel insurance company about trying to transport me home. He has been speaking with the drs also about it as we only have to 26wks to do it as I am not covered by insurance after that. They have said if I can be stabilized it might be a possibility but would have to travel via private plane with a full medical team and travel on a mag drip with other hospitals on stand by if needed. It would be a 2hr flight by plane I don't think it will happen but you never know. I don't want to get my hopes up because the amount of times I have been taken to and from L&D to the ward and back again makes me think I am not as stable as I would like to think I am. Once again thank you everyone I am praying we can just keep our little girl baking as long as possible.
Last edited by zaras_mummy on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shasta1003
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby Shasta1003 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 02:45 am

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I can understand how scary this must be for you with your history. And to top it off you are in an unfamiliar place. The one positive thing I can offer is that you seem to be in the care some great health care professionals. They are actually doing something for you instead of saying "you're fine" and waiting for you to take a turn for the worse before they help you.
I never experienced pre-eclampsia but I did have the wonderful pleasure of enjoying post pardum PE. It was the scariest time of my life. I had my son at 34 week via c-section. My water broke and he was breech. He was a perfect 4 pound 2 ounce bundle of joy. We were able to leave the hospital on day 2 of my recovery and I then returned on day 5 with difficulty breathing. At around 22 weeks my swelling had begun. My pre-pregnancy weight was 128 pounds and by the 34th week I was 190 pounds. Lots and lots swelling but no protein in my urine. BP ranged 140-160/90's my normal ranges 90-105/50-60's. I was off and on bedrest for pre term labor and bleeding throught my pregnancy. I should mention that I am a RN and my husband is a ER physician and anyone can tell you medical professionals make the worst patients. So when I could breath while in a sitting position, I knew that I was in a bit of trouble. At the ER my BP was 220/110. I was readmitted and started on Mag. I would not wish that drug on my worst enemy. I had my OB as well as a hospitalist following my care. The hospitalist decided that I needed to get rid of some of the fluid I was carrying so he dosed me up with 5 doses of lasix. I was already giving great output prior to this so now the nurses were dumping my foley every hour. Long story short, I ended up with a nephrologist, cardiologist and a bunch of meds for a month. My BP took about 2 months to return to normal. But I'm blessed to say that I am the mother of a very happy 8 1/2 month old. He is the light of my life.
You hang in there. And when you do go home you should request a specialist that will look at you as a whole and not at this one event. You do have patient rights. And your health and safety are always number 1.

trish
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 05:36 pm

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby trish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 08:12 am

Still here and thinking of you. I' planned to check in again this weekend but my youngest had surgery Friday and Sat. my middle DD woke up with strep!! I'm so sorry to hear things have gotten worse - especially so far from home. Please know you have lots of people here thinking and praying for you and your little one. (((hugs)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

User avatar
julie f
Registered User
Posts: 7993
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:56 am

Re: Needing Some Guidance

Postby julie f » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 pm

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I can imagine how much more difficult it must be being so far from home. After reading through this thread though, I'm thankful to know that you're now being monitored so closely.

I will be thinking of you, and praying for you and your little one.
Julie
Zachary 07/22/03-/7/27-03; 26 weeks
Jackson, January '05; 36 weeks
Ellie Jayne, August '09; 38 weeks


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests