Miscarriage

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re: Miscarriage

Postby blythe » Thu Jan 24, 639269 2:08 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My understanding is that bp issues in early pregnancy (before 20 weeks) are considered an "unmasked" chronic hypertension - in the same way that getting older or gaining weight can "unmask" a genetic tendency toward chronic htn. I'm no doc, but I don't think your bp issues caused your miscarriage, but that's definitely a question for your own doc if you need reassurance.

As I understand it, lowering bp can cause problems getting blood to the baby so docs don't prescribe bp meds unless absolutely necessary. Here's an article written by one of our experts about hypertensive meds in pregnancy -
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/51/4/960.full

In your shoes I would definitely want to at least consult with an MFM before I got pregnant again, and they can decide if you should be followed completely by an MFM or co-manage your care with a regular OB. Check out www.smfm.org by state for docs specializing in hypertension in pregnancy.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

veronica44

Postby veronica44 » Tue Jan 01, 639269 12:41 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Shannonlynn

Postby Shannonlynn » Mon Nov 05, 639268 5:43 am

I'm really sorry you lost your baby. I know how devastating it is. I read your other post about your blood pressure going all over the place and I know mine was 136/85 at my twenty first week. The doctor chocked it up to nerves but I remember starting to have swelling at that time and nothing was spoken about PE. Just before I had to deliver (4 days before) my blood pressure was 110/70 but I felt terrible. That day the doctor said I had serious problems with the placenta and made an appointment for me with the MFM for the next day. The next day it was 146/90 and they did a second time and it was 140/ 85. So, I think the best thing to do is be your own advocate. Check your blood pressure from the very start. I definitely think you need to be referred to an MFM. You have had PE once and now you have lost a baby very early with blood pressure fluctuations. I know my MFM said there was a very distinct possibility that I would be on blood pressure meds during my pregnancy. She was just making me aware of it because she thought maybe I was unaware of that possibility. I said I would do whatever it takes. There may be an underlying reason for what has happened to you. I have APS and I never thought in a million years that I would have a clotting disorder and it was acquired not inherited. I urge you to go see the MFM soon. *HUGS* Shannon
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.

jean

Postby jean » Mon Nov 05, 639268 3:30 am

I'm so sorry :(
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Mon Nov 05, 639268 12:28 am

I am sorry you had a misscarriage. I would let the Dr know as soon as you are pregnant.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

Buttercup72

Miscarriage

Postby Buttercup72 » Sun Nov 04, 639268 7:19 pm

I unfortunately had a miscarriage. I went this tuesday for a normal appt and they did not hear a heartbeat. I was sent for an ultrasound and there was none seen, and the baby was only measuring 11 weeks. I should have been 14 1/2 to 15 weeks. I had a D&C yesterday.

My BP started to rise around 10 weeks and then seemed to come back to normal. I'm guessing it did that once I lost the baby. I'm wondering if the BP had anything to do with the miscarriage.

I also am curious how many women are put on BP medication during pregnancy because mine did not want to do that when I had a rise. They said we would monitor it and that they don't medicate during pregnancy. Does it make a difference with a MFM and reg OB? Should I become pregnant again would you recommend going to a MFM right away. I was pre-eclamptic with my first and only child 11 years ago and I am 39 right now.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”