Question about PCOS

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Re: Question about PCOS

Postby alexis » Sun Oct 23, 2011 03:10 pm

I have it--diagnosed because of infrequent periods. I was regular in my teens but got irregular after I went on meds and gained weight.

You need 2 of 3 symptoms: elevated testosterone, infrequent or absent periods, and polycystic ovaries on ultrasound.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:38 am

For me it was the same as angieb, I never had normal periods either - I ignored it because I was young (and embarrassed to talk about it). Then when we started thinking about getting pregnant I went off the pill and never got a period. My OB/Gyn saw abnormalities in my bloodwork which led him to believe I had PCOS and a RE confirmed it with more bloodwork and a TV ultrasound. Then, after my first pregnancy (with PE), it did not come back - apparently the pregnancy "reset" everything and I've had normal cycles ever since.
Holly
DS 1 - 2/26/07 (32 weeks, Severe PE, IUGR, Oligo)
DS 2 - 9/13/08 (38 weeks, Folgard, Lovenox, 17P, No PE)

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Oct 22, 2011 06:35 pm

No it won't show up on a pap smear or anything. There aren't really conclusive tests for it but some doctors rule it in/out with hormone level bloodwork checks on day 3 of your cycle (the third day after your period starts), and/or a transvaginal ultrasound will show cystic ovaries. Here are the symptoms, http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ov ... s-symptoms my main issue was I've never had normal cycles, even in my teens, I'd have my period every 6 months or so.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

ktsl123

Question about PCOS

Postby ktsl123 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 02:15 pm

A lot of new research has come up about PCOS in the past week. It is stated that women with PCOS are 45% more likely to get pregnancy complications like PE and gest diabetes. I am just wondering for ladies that have PCOS did you have symptoms or pain? How did you find out you have it. Can it be found on a pap smear? I am just curious if this is one of those things where you can have it and have no idea...
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

Return to “Ask the Experienced”