Smoking while pregnant!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
christina89

Re: Smoking while pregnant!

Postby christina89 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 pm

My MFM told me if you smoke already then just slow down a bit and if you don't smoke don't start up because your body isn't used to smoking and that in itself can cause stress on an unborn baby. Aside from breathing problems etc. My first pregnancy I quit smoking got eclampsia and HELLP and delivered at 24 weeks. Sadly our son didn't make it. This pregnancy I was smoking again after the stress of losing our son. And I seen it lowered the risk but I wanted to talk to my MFM about it because I was going to quit again. So when I asked him he said I should do what I think is best but he said all he recomended was I slow down! Among many other things I did extra the second time around heparin extra vits ect I made it to a day shy of 36 weeks naturally went into labor with just PIH. Now have a beautiful 2 month old baby girl. I don't believe smoking made all that difference at all and I am kicking myself for smoking threw my pregnancy even tho I was told it would be fine. My I'm glad they are doing studies on that because I'd hate to see women start smoking just to try lower the risk. One day I believe we will have the answer to this horrible sickness.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Smoking while pregnant!

Postby caryn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 09:53 pm

Yes, it's known to lower risk of PE. But because it is very strongly linked to other bad pregnancy outcomes, it is *not* recommended.

There are some clever researchers working on how to lower risk with the same chemical pathway without causing the bad effects of cigarettes. :)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

ljsmommy

Smoking while pregnant!

Postby ljsmommy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 08:35 pm

Has smoking cigarettes during pregnancy been linked to PE?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”