Hurricane Irene and Hospitals

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Hurricane Irene and Hospitals

Postby caryn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 06:21 pm

Bumping the thread for New England - any Vermonters out there?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:51 am

I know NYC has had evacuations... looked it up, and NYU Langone and and Staten Island University Hospital are completely evacuated. I know SIUH is telling patients to go to Richmond. I don't know where NYU is telling people to go--they have a phone number on their webpage. Coney Island Hospital also moved patients, including ICU. NYU is an RPC (New York's highest tier of NICU). I don't think any of the other RPCs are in the flood zone--Weill Cornell is near the river, but that neighborhood is okay (my sister lives a few blocks from the hospital).

My parents live on Long Island and I know some of the South Shore hospitals have closed. There are evacuation orders in place for parts of the area. One of the hospitals is part of a huge network (North Shore-LIJ) so they were able to transfer patients easily to other hospitals in the system, and anyone who needs to come in can be redirected. It could be much worse--it's a densely populated area and there are many other unaffected hospitals.

I'm in South Central Pennsylvania and we're expected to just get the edge of it; hospitals here are fine.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 09:18 am

I live just west of Washington DC. We are expecting tropical storm conditions this evening and overnight. Our NICU reunion was supposed to be held tomorrow and has been cancelled. There are no evacuations ordered in our immediate area, but our hospital has issued a press release ensuring that they are prepared with backup generators, supplies and have priority for power restoration should they lose power.

http://newsroom.inova.org/article_displ ... le_id=5538
Holly
DS 1 - 2/26/07 (32 weeks, Severe PE, IUGR, Oligo)
DS 2 - 9/13/08 (38 weeks, Folgard, Lovenox, 17P, No PE)

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Today when I was preparing to get ready (I live in the Boston Metropolitan area) for the storm. I wondered about how people who depend on life support in ICUs and NICUs will be impacted. It made me very nervous. I checked the hospital where Henry was born (which is not that far away from the coast), and have not found any information so far. But I am sure that some sort of emergency system must be in place in case of power outages and similar.

Thinking of all of you who have babies in the NICU and/or are in need to medical care who are in the east coast area.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

blythe

Hurricane Irene and Hospitals

Postby blythe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 05:40 pm

I'm hearing more and more through my news feed about Hurricane Irene and evacuations and how hospitals are planning on handling the possible crisis. We have decided to temporarily lift the ban on mentioning hospital names so we can share how hospitals in our areas are being affected. We would especially like to know about hospitals with Level III NICUs are handling access and any pregnancy-related emergencies.

I'm farther inland, but my in-laws are in North Carolina and sent me this:
http://www.nhrmc.org/body.cfm?id=2293&a ... il&ref=946

Thinking of everyone in the path of the storm!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

Return to “Ask the Experienced”