Breastfeeding after mag/induction? (Question for a friend.)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kathrynb

Re: Breastfeeding after mag/induction? (Question for a frien

Postby kathrynb » Thu Sep 28, 639256 4:15 pm

I was on mag for 5 days. My colustrum started coming in on the third day. I think I really got a decent amount of milk around the fifth day. It just suddenly came in. Nursing didn't work because of his preemie issues. I pump exclusively. I have had to work hard to keep my supply up, but Jacob is six months and we have are still going strong with exclusively breastfeeding. I use Mother's Milk tea from GNC, plus I take fenugreek, blessed thistle, and alfalfa. Eating oatmeal and almonds works for some . I didn't notice much difference with that. Drinking lots and lots and lots of water also helps. The lactation consultant at the NICU had me write down the time I pump, how much I get and then total it for the day. It seems like such a pain but it keeps you encouraged in the beginning when you get so little but see it going up a little every day. And then if your supply goes down later you can catch it right away. I still do that now. I started pumping right after my c-section and pumped for 20 min. every 2 hours.
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches

veronica44

Postby veronica44 » Thu Sep 28, 639256 1:25 pm

I'd really recommend that she uses a supplementer instead of bottles this early. My milk came in on day 5 postpartum (and I also had 24 hours of MgSO4), but by then my daughter had fallen in love with bottles and would refuse to nurse. I really wish I had used a supplementer early on.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Sep 16, 639256 6:00 am

With my first @38 weeks I was on mag and had bad edema- and put on a diuretic after delivery- and it took longer than normal for my milk to come in. I wound up supplementing with formula but made sure to put my son to the breast first so I would stimulate my milk production. Over the course of a month we gradually weaned off formula.

With my daughter @37 weeks I wasn't as sick so no mag. I didn't have any problems with supply, but with demand. She was a little sleepy and jaundiced. She would latch on and fall asleep a lot, but once the jaundice wore off she nursed like a champ.

With both kiddos I found the lactation consultant at the hospital helpful, so I would reccomend your friend let the hospital staff know day of delivery that she would like a consult. With my son being born in the afternoon by the time I asked for help the consultant was already booked up, so I didn't see her until the next day. My son was literally screaming with hunger all night, though I'm sure the mag didn't help!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Aug 24, 639256 7:50 pm

Mine came in as scheduled after an induction/Caesarean and 5 days of mag, but I didn't let down well for a pump. Luckily Oscar was born with a working suck reflex and learnt to nurse right before I would have had to start supplementing.

A lot of preeclamptics do fine; a lot don't. This probably has something to do with what sorts of placentas we end up with, since placentas are what trigger milk production!
I am one of those who didn't do well. I might have had a shot with an earlier intervention from my doctor, but everyone (doctors, nurses, lactation consultants) kept telling me that I was just delayed due to the mag. I decided to wait for it, and it never happened. If your friend's milk doesn't come in a normal amount of time, suggest that she start working with her doctor or LC immediately to figure out why. She will need to pester them and remind them that mag shouldn't delay her milk by much. Most doctors and LCs are willing (like us) to blame that stuff for everything. I still feel like I might have had a shot at breast feeding if I had spoken up.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 22, 639256 8:00 pm

Mine came in as scheduled after an induction/Caesarean and 5 days of mag, but I didn't let down well for a pump. Luckily Oscar was born with a working suck reflex and learnt to nurse right before I would have had to start supplementing.

A lot of preeclamptics do fine; a lot don't. This probably has something to do with what sorts of placentas we end up with, since placentas are what trigger milk production!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

cmccaffrey

Postby cmccaffrey » Tue Aug 22, 639256 11:00 am

I had a c-section at 30 weeks and was put on mag in the middle of my surgery. My milk came in the next morning and I had crazy amounts of it. I tried everything to dry it out immediately and it took about 6 months before it finally ceased.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

brandib

Postby brandib » Sun Aug 13, 639256 1:25 pm

I've been on mag days at a time with my deliveries and my milk has always come in right away and I produce lots of it at that :0)

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Sun Aug 13, 639256 6:16 am

I was induced at 31 weeks and by milk was in by 48 hours after the birth. Pump as soon and often as you can and it seems that things go well. Breastfeeding wasn't so successful, but that was more due to my boy's preemie issues then anything.
Amanda, mom to:
Bennett, born 11/24/08 at 31 weeks 2 days due to HELLP. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches
Vivian, born 10/28/10 at 39 weeks 1 day. Induced due to mildly creeping BP's. 7 lbs. 10oz. 20 inches.

2011 Denver Promise Walk and 5K Run Co-coordinator
Register here:

http://www.promisewalk.org/pfpw/fundeve ... ffundid=28

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sun Aug 13, 639256 4:49 am

I was induced at 36 with my twins and was on the Mag in the ICU (not sure how long -probably only 24 hours). I was in the ICU 2 whole days and moved to L&D on the 3rd day. I think I started pumping that afternoon, but it might have been day 4. My milk came in right away and I pumped 3 times a day for the week I was pumping and dumping (due to other meds for the seizures). It was full force by the time I put the boys to the breast. Shouldn't be a problem! but definitely pump and eat and drink and rest.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

christina89

Postby christina89 » Sun Aug 13, 639256 3:20 am

Hey. I just went threw this last week my little girl will be 1 week old tomorrow. I had her at 35 weeks 6 days. I wanted to breastfeed so of course this was something I worried about as well. I was on mag for a day. And I naturally went into labor but had to have my water broke and an enhancement to help me dilate. My milk came in a tiny bit right away. But it came in full force 24 hours after. At first I was only producing 15 cc at a time. And had to give her 15 cc of formula until my milk came in. And at 24 hours it came in full force the nurses were amazed. I was getting 5 oz out of each breast. The best advice I can give her is at the very beginning when she's not feeding pump and pump and pump even if you hardly get anything out. Put her child right in front of her to look at as well and eat and drink while your doing it. And as hard as it is to sleep after babys born the more sleep you get the better your milk supply. I hope this helps. I'm strictly pumping because my little girl dropped a lot of weight so were waiting till she's back up to her birth weight to actually feed. For now I pump like crazy and bottle feed that to her. With hope next week we can start actual breast feeding. Tell her ill be thinking of her and I hope this helps!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”