Superimposed Preeclampsia a second time?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Re: Superimposed Preeclampsia a second time?

Postby alexis » Sun Mar 26, 639256 11:40 pm

No meds first pregnancy--I was in the UK, and they don't seem to medicate there except for severe hypertension which I didn't have at the time.

I am actually from Long Island, but I don't live there anymore, so my MFM won't be of much use to you! Sorry.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

smileegirl

Postby smileegirl » Sun Mar 26, 639256 3:18 pm

Hi Alexis,

Just a couple of more questions...were you on BP meds during your first pregnancy too? Also, you're not in the NYC metro area, are you? If so, was wondering who you're MFM Dr was...

Thanks!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sat Mar 25, 639256 8:03 pm

Yep, stayed on my BP meds. I was on 200mg Toprol XL pre-preg and by 7 weeks, I was getting dizzy, so they dropped me to 150 and I've stayed there. My BP is pretty awful without meds (I was 160/100 when they doubled my dose, so goodness knows what I'd be unmedicated) so there was no question of me going off. MFM cleared me to stay on Toprol rather than switch to labetalol.

I was a bit nervous about TTC but both my RE and MFM were fine with it and that definitely helped.

The only other thing to know is that you may be delivered a bit early anyway--many OBs are getting cautious about how far they let chronics go, especially if they have a history of PE. Mine is expecting delivery around 37 weeks again.

Good luck to you! You will be monitored pretty closely and it can be a little stressful, but also reassuring.
Chronic hypertension

smileegirl

Postby smileegirl » Wed Mar 15, 639256 6:14 pm

Hi Alexis - Thanks so much for responding! I am just so nervous to TTC. My cardiologist really made me so nervous yesterday. Have you been on blood pressure medication your entire pregnancy? I was not on them at all during my last one and I"ve been on them recently. I was hoping to get off but he recommended that I continue them. I think he prescribed Labetolol if I TTC.

Good luck with your pregnancy! During my 1st pregnancy, my bp also starting increasing at 32 weeks...I hope you don't get superimposed PE this time and that you make it as close to full term as possible!!!!

Feel good and thank you again for the info!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Wed Mar 15, 639256 7:52 am

I don't know about earlier, but you're definitely at risk for a repeat. I found one study (gosh, I wish I could find the cite again, I know I'm not making it up!) saying the rate of repeat superimposed PE was 46%. Overall, 25% of chronics develop superimposed PE, so it wouldn't surprise me that it's higher for women who already had it.

I had superimposed PE with #1, delivering at 37 weeks. I'm 32 and still okay (spiked a high BP the other day, but it was ruled a fluke). BP has risen a little bit, and I'm concerned because this is when my BP rose first time.

The usual advice is that repeat PE generally happens later, not earlier. We're moving to anecdata now, but while I know quite a few cases of repeats and a few where it was a bit earlier, none were dramatically earlier--no one went from a 1st pregnancy at 36 weeks to a 2nd at 24.
Chronic hypertension

smileegirl

Superimposed Preeclampsia a second time?

Postby smileegirl » Wed Mar 15, 639256 4:05 am

I had hypertension prior to my first pregnancy, however, during the pregnancy my blood pressures remained stable until the 3rd trimester (without any meds). During the 3rd trimester, it was rising, and eventually I was diagnosed with severe superimposed preeclampsia and had a c-section in the 36th week. I'm considering getting pregnant a second time and a Dr. recently expressed concern because I had superimposed preeclampsia in my previous pregnancy and I am currently 38 years old. Do you know if there is an increased risk of developing superimposed preeclampsia at an earlier point in a 2nd pregnancy? My concern is that I could develop it much earlier (in the 2nd trimester or earlier in the 3rd trimester), but I'm not sure if thats a common risk.

I have an appointment with a MFM Doctor, but wanted to see if any of you had insights or experiences with this.

Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”