Probably one for the Experts......

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sckitzo

Re: Probably one for the Experts......

Postby sckitzo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 am

I am a perfect example of this ( having PE but not being dx). With my first pregnancy I have Textbook PE, 5000mg of protien, BPs in the 200/160s, Fetal growth restriction, Swelling, reflexia, "The Headache". You name it I had it and was classified at Severe PE.

My second Pregnancy was differant. I was in the hospital for a twenty four hour urine as I had dipped a Trace, and with my history. I also felt off so they were watching me.
I woke up with a headache that I could not get rid of, and my B/P had risen I normally have low B/P. I had no swelling, no colitis, no protien, just a headache.

They took my B/P and for the first time since my first pregnancy it was 140/90 on the button. 10 min later I was in seizures and headed for an emergancy C section.

I did offically have Eclampsia, because of the seizures, but was never dx (or could I have technacally been) for preeclampsia. It was just atypical PE instead.
Brianna Charm Bell 1/23/2005 33weeks 3 pounds 3 ounces - Severe PE
Chance Bell 23 weeks 9/21/2006 1 pound 6.5 ounces - Eclampsia, HELLP (passed 27 days)
Natasha Faith Bell 9/5/2008 adopted 12/23/2011
Baby Bell miscarriage 12 weeks
Baby Bell due 12/28/2012
Foster Parents of many other wonderful children

brandib

Postby brandib » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Oh yes Alexa, my pressures were crazy high even on 2 bp meds. I was averaging 150/100 with daily readings over 160/110 sometimes up in the 170's/120's and my highest reading ( when I was magged for a few days) was 205/158. This pregnancy my average is about 140/90 on 2 bp meds ( at a MUCH lower dose) except this week I've been getting lots of spikes of 160's/100's. I'm 34 weeks already though :0) I also had insane hyperreflexia last time, and my reflexes are normal this time so far, but my protein count never hit 300 so they didn't diagnose preeclampsia......until basically my six week check up when everything was normal again :0)

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 01:23 pm

I was thinking it was pretty standard that if you had the readings over 160/100, regardless of protein you were considered severe pre-e. And weren't your pressures at least that high in your last pregnancy? It seems like they were if I remember correctly.

I know I have said this before, but my elevated pressures qualified me for severe pre-e. Though I finally had a small bit of protein at the end that just clinched it for them but was not the reason they were concerned--they kept referring to my bp as the issue.

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Jul 21, 2011 07:17 pm

LOL, actually I replied to you right after you posted and it was there and then gone. I was just saying thanx for the thread. I had glanced at it, but when you posted it, I read all the way through. So I get now the "official" guidelines haven't been changed. It seems that as long as you have text book preeclampsia, docs know how to deal with it, its the atypical cases that docs just have to make a judgement call. So if someone were to ask me " Can you have preeclampsia without 300mg of protein in a 24hr catch?" I really wouldn't know to say yes or no. I guess its a judgement call per physician.

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 04:06 pm

?
I just checked - no one has moved or deleted anything, what is missing?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Jul 21, 2011 02:19 pm

What happend to my post?

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 am

Brandi, I assume you've seen this thread? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43495

I think the current understanding is that - like you said - hypertensive pregnancy issues are all under the same "umbrella" but they get separated out for research and for how your particular manifestation of the disease is managed.

If it helps, I've heard a lot of docs talk about mild PE at term like your friend - that even without proteinuria, they consider the rising pressures to be basically a ticking time bomb so they want to induce and have a baby asap. In those cases especially they use PE / gestational hypertension / PIH pretty interchangeably even though *technically* the criteria haven't been met for PE.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brandib

Postby brandib » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am

I've been reading through some recent posts and peoples questions and the answers given.......and I feel like I've just met Preeclampsia for the first time all over again. Will it ever be clearly understood???? :(

brandib

Probably one for the Experts......

Postby brandib » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 am

I have always thought that to be diagnosed with Preeclampsia you needed at least 300mg of protein in a 24 hr catch and at least 2 readings of 140/90bp taken 6 hours apart. A friend recently told me that you can have preeclampsia without protein. I know that all the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy are under the same umbrella, but I thought still all "different." Now, me personally, I think they are all one and the same beast. But technically speaking, to be diagnosed by a doctor, don't they require that 300mg of protein??? Are there new guidelines for diagnosing PE??? My last pregnancy I had hyperreflexia, clonus in my feet, saw spots/white lights, massively high pressures, wanted to die becasue of the headache........but my protein count never hit 300 that pregnancy and so I wasn't officially diagnosed with PE.......even with allllll the neuro symptoms and swelling and optic nerve swelling........Why would some doctors diagnose preeclampsia without the protein??? Aren't there guidelines for a reason? Even though I beleive you can have preeclampsia without hitting 300mg becasue clearly I did my last pregnancy. Maybe these questions will be summed up by simply saying........they've officially been merged together??? Protein not required anymore??? PE based on pressures and neuro symptoms????? No more " just PIH?"

Return to “Ask the Experienced”