Gestational Hypertension/Pre-E

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Re: Gestational Hypertension/Pre-E

Postby mnmom » Wed May 04, 639250 3:40 am

Sure feels like overkill, but in the grand scheme of your health and the health of your baby, that is ok! You are down to a few weeks regardless, right? :D

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Apr 23, 639250 11:22 pm

Mine progessed from your run on the mill pregnancy induced hypertension to full blown severe preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome within hours. My liver almost ruptured from HELLP and almost needed a blood transfusion. Since mine developed so early in my pregnancy, my son did not survive. I had very good doctors who were as cautious as yours.

The good news is. You're almost there and if it does develop into pe, it seems to move really slowly. That said, this disease also has a mind of it's own. So while it might be a pain in the butt to keep being monitored, it's more than justified. It's just somethig that's very hard to predict. The stories run the gamut.

Hopefully it will pass without much incident. Many of the ladies here have happy endings. Watch out for symptoms of progression. Good luck!
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sat Apr 23, 639250 8:37 pm

I do know someone who was in this situation recently--32 and change with twins, BP starting to climb but not quite 140/90. They did a 24 hour urine and it was elevated but still a bit under 200. It did progress, VERY slowly, to PE--she delivered on the dot of 37 after 3.5 weeks in the hospital.

Having been in the opposite situation (not enough monitoring) I would probably treat this as necessary overcaution. I'm not an MD so I wouldn't dare predict, but I don't think it's impossible. Everyone remembers the stories of someone who went from normal to severe PE in a few days, but it can also develop slowly.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sat Apr 23, 639250 7:22 am

I'm so glad your doctor is watching you so closely - it's great that you see that as a good thing!
An official PE diagnosis requires protein over 300 and two BP readings over 140/90. So it sounds like you're on the verge of that diagnosis. I've heard ladies talk about BPs swinging between normal and high (maybe even low) before settling high, so that might be what your doc is thinking will happen. My question would be: what is your normal BP? "normal" and "high" BP is relative to the person, not dependent upon a certain number.

36 weeks is a great place to be, so just try to keep taking it easy and watching your BP. Also be aware of the symptoms (any visual disturbances, headaches that don't go away with tylenol, swelling that won't go down, etc.) and make sure you tell your doc about them if you start having them. You may not develop PE or meet the criteria to have an official diagnosis of PE, but gestational hypertension can be just as dangerous, especially if not treated or followed closely. I would, personally, feel much safer following those doc's orders and erring on the side of caution!
Best wishes for a couple more weeks to cook that baby!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

ClearwaterMom

Gestational Hypertension/Pre-E

Postby ClearwaterMom » Sat Apr 23, 639250 2:11 am

Hello :)

I am a little confused about my situation and I am just looking for some guidance from people who may have experienced something similar.

I am currently 36 weeks pregnant...when I was 34 weeks I went to the doctor for a regular appointment and when he took my blood pressure it was 146/100. He immediately did an ultrasound to check the baby and she was fine. He then made me go to the hospital for monitoring. I was there for about 8 hours and my bp stayed in the 130's over 80's with some high in between. He let me go home that night and told me to do a 24 hour urine catch and come back the next day.

I went back the following day and was monitored again - first bp was high and then after it was back to the 130's over 80's. My urine came back with a protein amount of 143. He told me that he was putting me on bedrest because he believed that this would progress to pre-e within 2 weeks and I would have to be induced. I was told that I needed to monitor my bp 4x a day and write it down. I have been back multiple times for monitoring and I have done many 24 hour urine catches...the highest it has been is 204 (but at next appt it went down to 189).

So here we are two weeks later my bp's have stayed consistent and nothing has changed. And honestly I have somewhat broken the "bed rest" rules...but if I am doing something besides bed rest I monitor my bp and it remains the same. So within the last two weeks I have been to the hospital 7 times and done 7 urine catches, went on short term disability from work, and maintained (mostly) the bed rest. I guess my question would be...does this sound like something that is going to turn into pre-e? It seems to me that everything has leveled out and maybe it was just a bad day that I had a high bp.....should I continue to be vigilant with the bed rest?

It just seems like a little overkill with all the hospital visits and tests....but I am very grateful to have a doctor that is so concerned with the health of me and my child.
So any similar stories or experiences or information that anyone has would be so helpful!

Thank you for reading my story:)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”