Aother post-partum question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kathrynb

Re: Aother post-partum question

Postby kathrynb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 07:58 pm

So, I guess this is more venting than anything, but any input is welcome. I got the lab results in the mail today. Its a bunch of numbers I don't really understand. It looks like my glucose levels are low, though. On the bottom of the paper they wrote "evidence of organ damage and evidence of preeclampsia". I am angry that I received that in the mail, on a saturday of all days, without any further explanation. I am also really wooried. I will be calling first thing Monday morning but the next day and a half are going to be long, I fear.
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches

kathrynb

Postby kathrynb » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Thank you for the responses! I guess I am probably chronic. I had high blood pressure for a short time before pregnancy. But, I was working at a job I hated, blood pressure medicine didn't help, and it turned out that anxiety medicine did help. When I quit the job and was under less stress, my blood pressure returned to normal. That was about 8 months before I got pregnant. My OB seemed to think that didnt "count" as being chronic, but my mfm did consider me to be chronic. The pcp seems to be waiting on the lab results to get a better idea of what is going on. It just surprised me when he said that I am at risk for pre-e for two more months. I guess that part isn't correct. I'm sorry bernadic and mom29, that you had trouble for so long after delivering too. Thanks again for your responses!

I had a similar experience mom29. My mfm's office wanted me to cut out my blood pressure medicine even though my bp was still high even on the meds. I told them it didn't make any sense to me. They insisted I shouldn't be on the meds. I stopped them for like a day and my bp sky-rocketed. I switched back to my OB (I had to switch hospitals when I delivered since I went early and the hospital where my OB is couldn't care for the baby so early) and the OB was much more reasonable as far as stopping the medicine. The mfm was wonderful while I was pregnant and during delivery. I was disappointed in my experience with them after I gave birth, though.
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu Jun 16, 2011 03:59 pm

At 4 months pp, it's not pre-e anymore, there's no placenta or pregnancy hormones. It sounds like most likely it's chronic hypertension.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 am

I had problems like you for months after delivery. Every time I would stop my meds, I would get a bad heacache and my bp would spike. I even landed in the ER for it. My ob and the mfm sent me to my family dr who ran a series of tests. He said that I was chronic because I passed with window for pp pe. He said the PE just kicked out the high bp genes earlier than normal. PE does a lot with your system. I am on bp meds four years later and am considered chronic now at 35. Follow up with your dr as prescribed and keep track of your bp. Good luck. Hopefully, things will calm down for you.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 07:40 am

I was still having trouble beyond the six weeks. The pcp I saw just had me come in frequently until my blood pressure dose was just right. I've also had the pcp quirk an eyebrow at the um..."different" advice given by the OB. I was told to resume taking the labetalol IF my bp was 140/90 for two days and to be seen for the post-partum check-up in eight weeks. My d/c was cancelled because my bp was running in the 160's/100+ and back on labetalol so those d/c instructions really didn't make any sense. I was ALREADY diagnosed with chronic hypertension prior to the pregnancy so telling me not to go back on my meds. made no sense.

Anyway...all that to say yes it took longer than six weeks for everything to settle down and a pcp is good for handling bp issues. Perhaps you have chronic hypertension?

kathrynb

Aother post-partum question

Postby kathrynb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 04:09 pm

My blood pressure went up at 20 weeks, I was diagnosed with pre-e at 31 weeks, hospitalized at 33, and delivered at 34 weeks. I will be 4 months post-partum this Saturday. My blood pressure has taken a long time to settle out. My OB said that since my pre-e was so severe that was to be expected. I slowly weaned off my meds. About three weeks ago, I cut out my last dose. My bp was ok, but not great. It was hanging out around 140/90. About a week ago, my bp shot up again -- around 160/110. I started taking 100 mg labetalol twice a day and called my OB. With the labealol it has gone down to about 150/100 most times of day. My OB said that now that I am so far post-partum, it doesn't have to do with pregnncy and I should see a family doctor.

I went to a family doctor this morning. He didn't seem pleased with that verdict. He asked if they were checking for pre-eclampsia. They haven't. When I was 3 weeks post-partum, I went in to my OB b/c my bp was high despite meds. They did a urine test and I dipped +4, but they said that was to be expected. The family doctor disagreed and said that is post-partum pre-e and that I'm at risk for post-partum pre-e for 2 more months. I thought it was 6 weeks post partum, not 6 months.. He adjusted my meds, is doing blood work, and did a urine sample. He said they would call with the lab results, but unless those showed a problem I go back for a follow-up in 3 weeks. And of course, I'm still monitoring my bp twice a day at home and will call if that is a problem.

I am confused by the drastically different information I am getting. Did anyone have trouble this far post-partum? Could it still be pre-e, related to pre-e, or is it something completely different? I thought I was finally putting all of this behind me and am so frustrated that my bp spiked again. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Kathryn

Return to “Ask the Experienced”