Whats the latest on automatic wrist cuffs?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mom29

Re: Whats the latest on automatic wrist cuffs?

Postby mom29 » Fri Jul 30, 639249 6:17 pm

Thanks everyone! I would think the wrist cuff would really hurt when your bp is high. I know the arm cuff gets pretty tight when my readings were higher.

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Wed May 01, 639247 2:09 am

My OB told me an arm cuff is more accurate than a wrist cuff, that being said however, when I got an arm cuff he had me bring it to my next appt and they compared my consumer unit with the clinics (waiting a few mins between readings w/ no movement between). They were within a few pts of eachother - which was good enough for the OB. He wanted a ballpark, so if I was trending high or BPs were going up or not coming down with rest, he wanted to know that. For me, I bought a Relion with a larger cuff and had no problems with it. Some cuffs run a little small so measure your upper arm before buying one, checking the cuff size on the box.
2005: PE/IUGR pregnancy with Daughter, born 40+2 induction. Diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (or Sensory Integration Dysfunction) in 2010. Diagnosed with ADHD in 2011. It's getting better with OT and treatment!
2009: PIH pregnancy with Son, born 38+5. Diagnosed in 2011 as Developmental Language Delays, Social-Emotional-Communication Delays. More testing Nov. 2011.
2011: I'm undergoing neurological testing. Praying for the best!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Wed May 01, 639247 12:27 am

When I bought my current BP monitor, the wrist cuffs were still rated lower for accuracy than arm cuffs (I did a bunch of research). I bought an automatic arm cuff (Omron 7) and I do measure a bit lower at home, but it's hard to say why. It could be because my OB tends to take BP the minute I come in rather than waiting 5 minutes, which is known to raise BP. Usually, I measure a bit higher on automatic than manual, so who knows?
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 20, 639247 1:26 pm

Good question; I don't know! I still have a 10 year old wrist cuff and do think it reads about 10/5 lower than my internist's but exactly with the three different urgent cares I've been to in the past 4 years, so don't know what to think about the accuracy of it, even. It could just be the techniques of the people taking my pressures, kwim?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mom29

Whats the latest on automatic wrist cuffs?

Postby mom29 » Sun Apr 07, 639247 5:48 pm

Are they now as accurate as the arm cuffs?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”