How do they decide-bp meds or mag + delivery?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laura

Re: How do they decide-bp meds or mag + delivery?

Postby laura » Fri May 06, 2011 08:29 pm

I agree with Caryn and would add that sometimes they're looking for signs that the preeclampsia is starting to effect your central nervous system. My doc saw that my reflexes were beyond brisk and I had "the headache" and that seemed to earn me a ticket to mag. Like Caryn said, there's no foolproof way of establishing CNS involvement, so most docs will look for signs that the PE is going into the 'severe' place with BPs near 160/110 and/or other signs of end organ damage (like impaired kidneys).
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: How do they decide-bp meds or mag + delivery?

Postby caryn » Mon May 02, 2011 08:14 pm

Sometimes it's bp meds *and* mag + delivery. :)

This is something like the "art" part of medicine. If they think you're an unmasked chronic hypertensive, or that the baby would benefit from a few more days in utero and you're not too sick yet, they try to push it, often with monitoring in the hospital if you're close enough to a critical threshold. But they take all sorts of subjective information into account when they decide to wait on an induction, like how swollen your ankles are or whatever. There isn't one point where all docs would say "Jump!"
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

jean

How do they decide-bp meds or mag + delivery?

Postby jean » Mon May 02, 2011 07:42 pm

How do the doctors decide whether or not just to give you bp meds or instead to administer mag sulfate and deliver?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

Return to “Ask the Experienced”