Postpartum bp question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laura

Re: Postpartum bp question

Postby laura » Fri May 06, 2011 02:33 pm

Hi Flori- I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I've been on the forums a long time and met a lot of people, but horror over tragedies like yours never fade---
As a long time chronic hypertension-er, I can say that my BPS go nuts post pregnancy. The hemodyamic changes your body goes through hit some of us harder than others, and I tend to have much higher BPs in the 3 months following pregnancy than anytime during.

Are you noticing that you're still swelling? In my experience, presence or absence of edema has an immediate effect on my BP. Ultimately after my pregnancies I end up on not just hctz, I end up needing lasix to get that fluid out and my pressures down. If you're noticing swelling, that may be something to discuss with your doc and could be more effective than the other htn med. (at least it is for me)

Also- I'd avoid taking pressures lying down- unless there's new information available since I last checked, you should take your pressure in the same arm in the same sitting up, or you run the risk of an inaccurate reading.
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Tue May 03, 2011 09:12 am

I was on labetalol and HCTZ until about 6 mos postpartum after having my son a couple of years ago, then was able to go off both of them due to my pressures normalizing. I started the HCTZ about a week or two post delivery since my pressures weren't responding to labetalol alone. They chose HCTZ as it was safe for breastfeeding, which I was doing at the time.

flori

Postby flori » Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 am

Thank you ladies for your replies.

I made an appointment for tomorrow. I really wanted to stay on labetalol until we ttc, but I'm pretty sure they will switch me to something else. Alexa, I was on HCTZ but they had me discontinue it shortly after I found out I was expecting. Are you still taking it?
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon May 02, 2011 09:05 am

I agree that it is probably just taking your body a while to normalize, and that unless you have other symptoms, you most likely do not have pp pre-e. In my case, labetalol didn't lower my pressures at all after delivery....they added hctz to my regimen, and that did the trick quickly. And it was safe for breastfeeding, so that was good. So, I agree that adding to or changing meds could very well help you.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun May 01, 2011 07:05 pm

Unless you have other PE symptoms it's likely not PP PE & just that your BP is just taking longer to regulate. Sometime after PE we need different BP meds or different doses to control BP. Mine was easily controlled with one small dose of 1 BP med before my 3rd pregnancy and took much larger doses of up to 3 meds PP. It's certainly something to check with your Dr. about. Good luck!! :)
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

flori

Postpartum bp question

Postby flori » Sun May 01, 2011 03:44 pm

Hi everyone-

I have some concerns regarding my blood pressure. I am almost 7 weeks pp, having delivered my daughter at 25 weeks. I have chronic hypertension (medicated for it). I monitor my pressure daily and I was getting some great readings until last week. I started cutting sugar and most carbs last week and went walking 4 times, the first exercise I've gotten since I was put on bedrest in late February. I have noticed that when I am sitting up my diastolic number is quite high (sometimes high 90s) but my systolic is normal, usually under 130. However, when I take it lying down the numbers are fantastic- 100s/70s sometimes 60s. Prior to last week my sitting up diastolic measurement would normally be closer to 80.

I thought the exercise and weight loss would help my bp, but it seems to have gotten worse. Could it be possible that I'm developing or developed postpartum preeclampsia? Should I be very concerned about my measurements while sitting, or are the lying measurements reliable to go by?

Tomorrow I plan to schedule a doctor's appointment because my labetalol refills have run out and I only have a few doses left. I planned to stay on baby-safe medication until we ttc or should I ask to be put on something stronger?

Any advice is appreciated.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”