New here!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re: New here!

Postby blythe » Tue Aug 07, 639246 3:23 pm

Wonderful! I'm so glad to hear you had a healthy baby and that you are okay! Please continue to watch your bp and signs and symptoms and go to L&D or another nearby hospital if you have any concerns, you can get post-partum preeclampsia up to 6 weeks post-partum. PP PE is just as dangerous to your health as regular PE, but much easier to treat because they don't have to worry about the baby. Not all care providers immediately think of post-partum PE, so be your own advocate if necessary. Having the baby / removing the placenta starts the healing process, but occasionally things get worse before they get better. Enjoy your new baby, just keep an eye on your health, too!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Tue Aug 07, 639246 10:47 am

Congratulations on your baby boy! Glad to hear you're both doing well!!!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

cpearce85

Postby cpearce85 » Tue Aug 07, 639246 2:43 am

Hello again! I'm here to update... Monday morning I woke up and had a horrible headache and just felt plain awful. I went back to L&D, and they decided since I was 36 & 6 that they would just admit me and induce me that day. My bps were 160s/100s consistently. So induction started around 10 am. They started with a pill, I can't remember the name of it... Around 2 pm they put in a Foley bulb and started pitocin. At that point the contractions were really picking up and they allowed me to get an epidural. The bulb came out around 730 pm and my water broke less than 10 min after. Things seemed to be going well. The OB came in and was looking at all my contractions and then told me that babys heart rate was dropping with every contraction and didn't feel it was safe to continue labor. So I was prepped for a c section and about 30 min later, my baby boy was born, 5 lbs 7 oz. I'm on a phone right now, I'll give you guys a better update soon! Thanks to re support!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 11, 639246 10:07 pm

I too am hoping you have gone to be reevaluated by someone with experience in high-risk pregnancy. BP levels like that plus proteinuria are enough for you to meet what the researchers would consider the cutoff for *severe* preeclampsia, regardless of other symptoms, plus you have other symptoms.

Please keep us posted as you're able.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

karamcd

Postby karamcd » Wed May 30, 639246 11:13 am

I agree with pp. I would go straight back to the hospital and demand for more information and more tests. Those blood pressures are very high, and like blythe said, they are indicative of severe pre-e which would usually result in delivery. If I were in your shoes, I would insist on being admitted until you complete a 24hr urine as well as a PIH panel to check for HELLP. If at the end of that time, you are still in the mild range, you may be safe to wait for your 37 week mark. If not, I would expect induction to start sooner.

I am not a doctor, but those bp readings are scary to me. My own doctor has said that if I consistenly get bp readings of 160/100 that will not come down with rest, that is one of my indicators for delivery (and I am only 34 weeks). To me, there is no way you should have been released without your urine or blood being tested.

Please take care of yourself!
~Kara

4 Angels waiting to meet us in heaven (3 early m/c, one 17 weeks loss due to placental problems)

Alexa Hope 4/3/08 born at 36w2d due to severe pre-e and signs of HELLP developing

Pregnant with Austin Mark! Planned c-section no later than May 24, 2011 (37 weeks) due to mild pre-e

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed May 30, 639246 10:45 am

Here is a link to our "signs and symptoms" http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... d-symptoms
especially watch for more visual changes, pain under your right side ribs, and headache that doesn't go away with tylenol. You've already been experiencing the visual and headaches, so if they get worse or different I'd go in to be re-evaluated asap. Can you run out and buy a bp cuff and monitor your bp at home? Those 180s/100s just scare not-a-doc me - women with PE have strokes at bps much lower than that. Our Experts have said bps of 160s/100s put you in the "severe" PE category. If you can monitor at home at least you have more data to give your doctors. I think most of us check our bp about 3x day.

Could you call and see what your urine dipped? The dips are notoriously inaccurate because of hydration, but if you are dipping more than +1 now that could be an indicator that your disease is getting worse.

I'm glad baby looked good on the NST, in your shoes I'd pay close attention to baby's movement and report any changes.

Did they run a "PIH panel" or "preeclampsia labs" bloodwork? The bloodwork shows your liver functioning and platelet health to evaluate you for HELLP, a very severe form of PE.

In your shoes I'd be going back in today asking for bloodwork.

Late-term nausea has been noted by our Experts as being an underappreciated symptom.

The more I type the more uncomfortable I am for you. I am absolutely not a doc and I only know what I've seen from other women's experiences, but with all your symptoms and bps and being 36 weeks, in your shoes I would go back to the hospital and request an MFM consult. I would actually go to the nearest large hospital, a teaching hospital affiliated with a university if possible.

Good luck and please let us know how you are.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

NaomiSadie916

Postby NaomiSadie916 » Mon Feb 29, 639244 11:48 am

Hi!

I am sorry you are dealing with this awful awful thing. I would be more on top of it with the doctors. Why do they not have you on hospital bedrest? With my 2nd pregnancy, it made quite a difference, until the heachache worsened and my labs started changing. With preeclampsia, it can change VERY quickly in matter of hours or days. I hope you can be seen again soon?

Keep up updated please! Those bps are high. Worries me a bit!
Mommy & Preeclampsia Survivor to two beautiful girls-Naomi Hope born at 28 weeks 1lb 12 oz 4/27/09-6/1/09. Sadie Marie 34w6d 9/16/10 4lb 15 oz

cpearce85

Postby cpearce85 » Mon Feb 29, 639244 12:40 am

Thanks for the response! I have not been put on bedrest. One of the nurses last night suggested that I "take it easy" til my next NST on Tuesday. My husband is in the military so I am being seen by military doctors and I honestly have no idea if any of the OBs are high risk. I would hope there'd be at least one! I think I need to start asking a lot of questions! Thanks for sharing about your inductions! That gives me a little more confidence. They have already told me to expect my induction to fail and end in c-section (nice, right??). So I just have to stay positive!

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Sun Feb 28, 639244 10:28 pm

I'm not a dr by any means, but those high BPs definitely need a closer look by a high-risk OB (also called MFM), failing that an OB with plenty of experience handling PE should be monitoring your care. Those 180s have me plenty worried for you, I hope you're on some form of bedrest? You should be on the left side, resting as much as you can. Did you see or talk to an OB or just the nurses when you went in after shopping? Does your OB know you went to L&D? I would be concerned and take your husband or friend along to L&D to make sure you're taken seriously - your flu-ish symptoms can indicate the PE is progressing. As for induction after 37 wks, that's a good goal, but sometimes baby needs to be born before then. As for not being favorable for induction... my daughter I was 1 cm the day before induction, they used cytotek to soften my cervix at 5pm, at 1 AM I woke up w/ contractions... at 7 my dr proceeded to add pitocin and broke my water, and she was born at 9:30. My son, I was at 0 cm at 4:30PM and "not favorable" but went in next morning for induction and was in labor and 2cm at 7am, had him later that afternoon with an epidural to lower my BPs and pitocin to keep my labor going (epidurals sometimes stall out labor but are wonderful to lower the BPs).
2005: PE/IUGR pregnancy with Daughter, born 40+2 induction. Diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (or Sensory Integration Dysfunction) in 2010. Diagnosed with ADHD in 2011. It's getting better with OT and treatment!
2009: PIH pregnancy with Son, born 38+5. Diagnosed in 2011 as Developmental Language Delays, Social-Emotional-Communication Delays. More testing Nov. 2011.
2011: I'm undergoing neurological testing. Praying for the best!

cpearce85

New here!

Postby cpearce85 » Sun Feb 28, 639244 8:05 pm

Hi, ladies, my name is Christiana and I was diagnosed on Tuesday with mild preeclampsia. I went in for my 36 week check up and had bp around 150/100. I was sent to L&D at that point for an NST and urine test. Baby looks fine but I did have protein in my urine, 1+. I was having issues with headaches and seeing spots and floaters, but with my "history" of migraines, they didn't want to call it severe. Right now, we're just taking it day by day it seems. They are trying to get me to 37 weeks (this Tuesday) at least before induction. This is my first pregnancy and right now my cervix is not favorable for induction, so we will see what they say when I hit 37 on Tuesday. I am looking for a little advice. Last night I had to go in to L&D again bc I just felt awful. I was nauseous, dizzy and horribly light headed. I started feeling like this after dinner. Hubby and I had gone out with friends and needed to make a quick trip to WalMart, while we were there, I used their bp machine and got 3 readings. 188/99, 183/107, I took a breather after those 2, as they really freaked me out and my third came out 159/98. So I knew I should probably go in and we did. They took a urine sample and got the NST started and took my bp a few times. Baby looked fine, my bp was in the 160/100 range. After about 45 minutes of arriving, they sent me home with Zofran (for nausea). My last bp reading was 163/99. Oh, and they never grabbed my urine sample. So I have no idea what my protein was. It was still in the bathroom when I left! Is this scenario normal? Or should I be concerned I wasn't taken more seriously?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”