Testing

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
riehlism

Re: Testing

Postby riehlism » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 am

Hi Mouschin, and welcome to our board. I will assume that your OB team meeting includes MFMs on the panel. Most MFMs will request testing on their own. They will do a thrombophilia panel (to check for blood disorders), and they will also run a panel to check for any autoimmune diseases. An autoimmune disease is a category of disease where the body's immune system attacks itself--hence autoimmune.

I'm sure they will probably check the state of your liver, considering it ruptured (yikes!) and kidney functions. I had CT scans of my liver. Mine did not rupture, but I still have some hepatomegally. I have not heard stories from current active posters about a ruptured liver. But prior poster did have some major liver damage (not sure if it ruptured), but it took her a good year/year and a half to finally get her liver to function normally. Good thing about the liver is it is the only organ in your body that self regenerates.

Looking ahead into a future pregnancy will take some time. Emotional and physical healing is going to take quite a bit of time. Stroll along this site so you can get more familiar with options that have been presented to us, and just learn more about preeclampsia and HELLP. See you on the boards.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

Mouschin

Testing

Postby Mouschin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 08:20 am

Hello all,

Our only child died 11 weeks ago due to HELLP syndrome at 35 weeks. My liver ruptured and hemotomaed, almost taking my life. I will be meeting with the O.B team within the coming months to discuss our future prospects. I aware this question was probably asked before, though I am fairly new to the board. I am curious, in particular, as to what types of testing should I ensure I receive in order to make an informed decision about our future. I am aware there are blood clotting disorders associated with HELLP that I have never received testing for. Any guidance at all I would greatly appreciate.

Mouschin

Return to “Ask the Experienced”