fibromyalgia and preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laura

Re: fibromyalgia and preeclampsia

Postby laura » Fri May 06, 2011 08:24 pm

I know this question is a few weeks old- but I've heard it postulated that fibromyalgia is actually an autoimmune disorder. Given that it is more of a syndrome rather than a specific disease makes it harder to nail down the evidence, but I understand that there is work being done on that. It has been a while since I've read anything current, but women with autoimmune disorders like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are carefully monitored for preeclampsia.
When my mom was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, her doc didn't run any of the specific blood tests to check for other autoimmune disease, but the protocol calls for it- so if you have had a dx of fibromyalgia, it may be worth asking your doc if you should have an ANA, rheumatoid factor, blood tests to make sure there's nothing else lurking around underneath.
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

brismom

Postby brismom » Mon May 02, 2011 07:59 am

I think I should get my thyroid checked before TTC again. It is most certainly in my family and I know my results were always borderline. My aunt is overweight, has thyroid issues and had my cousin at 40 and she never had PE (thank goodness). That is the tricky thing with PE. You just never know.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 02:06 pm

I don't know of a connection between fibromylagia and pre-e.

However I do know there is some overlap between symptoms of hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia. Thyroid disorders, especially untreated, are a risk factor for pre-e. And pre-e may raise the risk of developing a thyroid problem later in life. Have you ever had a thyroid panel run? My endo tests for free thyroid hormone levels themselves (T4 & the more active form T3) in addition to TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone).

In the past I had leg pain and insomnia that went away after starting treatment for hypothyroidism. My sister's pain & GI issues resolved on a gluten free diet, but we have celiac in our family history.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

brismom

fibromyalgia and preeclampsia

Postby brismom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 am

I suspect I have had fibromyalgia longer than I originally thought although it became a ton worse after my bout with HELLP. Some people consider it an autoimmune disorder. Does anyone know anything about a connection if any with fibro and PE?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”