What do labile bps mean?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
celticepona

Re: What do labile bps mean?

Postby celticepona » Tue Apr 19, 2011 08:21 pm

Thanks Ladies. I'm 31 weeks and my bps are still labile. My peri took me off my aldomet a while back then put me back on at a lower dosage. I've been hovering in the 80s diastolic, dipping into the 70s and then jumping to the 90s occaisionally. My peri took note of this and they are watching me carefully. :)
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

laura

Postby laura » Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:24 pm

Trish, that's the same thing I've heard about labile pressures, too. Another thing to keep in mind is that most women will experience a dip in blood pressure during the second trimester due to the increased blood volume of pregnancy, and then that pressure will rise back up to your pre pregnancy baseline as you go into your third trimester. I remember flipping out that my pressures were rising, and then being told that I was comparing them with my 16 week bps rather than my prepregnancy ones! HTH
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 07:09 pm

Basically once BP's start getting labile it means your body is starting to lose the battle in being able to regulate them. They will bounce around from low to high for awhile (days-months) and eventually settle at high. But occasional lower dips just sounds good - not like traditional labile pressures! Normal BP varies 10-15 points throughout the day - and from day to day. Labile means bigger jumps - like from 100/70 up to 140/95 and back.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

celticepona

What do labile bps mean?

Postby celticepona » Tue Apr 05, 2011 09:05 am

Hello Ladies. I've searched the forum and seen info about labile bps here and there but I guess I just wanted to ask the straightforward question: What do they usually mean? ( I will check with my doc of course when I go in again but I wanted to see the feedback here) My doc has been keeping check of my bps, and does not seem to concerned except for my dips into the 60s diastolic. @ the doc my bps are usually running in the 60s diastolic (maybe I should get a new cuff? But they checked it at the office and said it was fine) ;) But overall I have not had this before as far as I can remember, so this whole labile thing is new to me.
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”