24 hr 478 at 24.5 wks and 832 at 26 wks...what can I expect?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelc

Re: 24 hr 478 at 24.5 wks and 832 at 26 wks...what can I exp

Postby rachelc » Sat Oct 20, 639240 9:56 am

Just thought I would chime in. I was diagnosed at 22 weeks with severe preeclampsia and made it to 33 weeks before delivery. It is possible to get many more weeks out of your pregnancy. I am living proof of that! I know that my case is probably not the norm but, there is hope. It sounds like your doctors are watching you closely. Good luck!

IamSupergirl

Postby IamSupergirl » Thu Oct 18, 639240 7:00 pm

Just an update...

I am home and on bedrest. At my regular appt. today my pressure was 163/91...but it has to be expected after I traveled half an hour to get to theoffice and walked around for the first time in a week to get in there! Even so, my Dr. has concerns and started me on labetalol 100mg twice a day. I am supposed to monitor my pressure at home and call if it stays above 150/100 after resting for 1/2 hr.

I am now scheduled for 2 NSTs and a regular appointment each week. I see the perinatologist for another ultrasound in 3 weeks. They will repeat the 24hr urine if my dip levels go above 1+. Hopefully I can "limp along" for weeks like this! :)

angieb

Postby angieb » Sun Sep 16, 639240 3:08 am

I'm glad to hear it went down! Definitely ask for and expect regular NST's and fluid level checks, although they generally don't check growth on u/s except every 2-4 weeks (there needs to be some time between them for a more accurate frame of reference.) And definitely keep an eye on your blood pressure at home and it sounds like there's a good plan in place. Hopefully you can make it many more weeks! Thanks for keeping us updated!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Fri Sep 14, 639240 6:46 pm

It looks like you've already received some great responses, I just wanted to add a good luck from me! Keep arming yourself with as much knowledge as possible, stay vigilant and don't hesitate to go to L&D if you feel as if something is wrong. Good luck, take care and keep us posted!
Mindy
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

susheli

Postby susheli » Tue Sep 04, 639240 2:37 pm

I'm so glad to hear that they're taking such good care of you and your little one, and that you've had so much good news. I had high blood pressure from 22/23 weeks in my first pregnancy, and proteins of over 900g from around 27 weeks - and I made it to 34 weeks (when I was delivered for proteins of over 9g, IUGR and labs starting to go wrong). I spent the last 7 weeks on hospital bed rest, and although that was very difficult, I felt so lucky that my body held out for so long. My daughter spent 3+ weeks in the NICU and is now a healthy 6-year-old. Just to share a positive outcome of early onset PE. It sounds like your body is responding to the bed rest, which is a great sign.

I'm thinking of you and your little one and wishing you as many more pregnant weeks possible. We're rooting for you, please keep us posted.
xo Sush

IamSupergirl

Postby IamSupergirl » Tue Sep 04, 639240 8:28 am

Thanks for the responses - every bit of information helps!

Since I posted, I went for an ultrasound with the perinatologist so he could be up to speed, and based on my blood pressure (148/92) and a mild but persistent headache, he decided to admit me for the weekend. Since I've been here they've done bloodwork (looks great), NSTs (look great...only one mildly concerning one so far), amniotic fluid measures good, growth hasn't decreased noticeably, I had both steroid shots, and another 24hr urine which came back at 680 (HOORAY!! It actually came down from 832 five days ago).

So I feel like they are taking good care of everything and I expect to be released tomorrow and kept on modified bedrest. I think my doctor will stick with the plan of a 24hr urine test each week and probably start some regular NSTs and more frequent MFM ultrasounds. Other than that, who really knows what to expect...but I'm feeling a little better and hoping to at least make it to at least 30 weeks (I am 27 tomorrow).

Thanks for all your support!

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Aug 11, 639240 11:43 pm

With those numbers, expect to stay on bedrest until delivery, and there's not really a rhyme or reason to how long you will make it. The average is 2 weeks regardless of how early you get sick. (Unfortunately there actually are quite a few of us here who did get sick in the 2nd trimester range, some who can make it several more weeks which can even turn to months, and some who have to deliver immediately. I was a "deliver immediately" case as the baby was in distress and I had HELLP.) Have they given you steroid shots for the baby's lungs yet? I'd be asking for those now, just in case. (They usually like to give them as close to delivery as possible, but it's better to get them a bit earlier than not have them at all, and some people go from it slowly progressing for a few weeks to needing an urgent delivery, since they take some time to take effect, in your case I personally would be pushing for them soon as a precaution.)

They don't usually recommend delivery for spilling protein alone, although obviously they don't like to see it. Generally, delivery becomes the recommendation when the baby is in distress (which can be figured out from low amniotic fluid levels, growth restriction, nonstress tests and biophysical profiles), your blood pressure gets high and stays high and they aren't able to control it, or pre-eclampsia turns to HELLP (HELLP is typically an immediate delivery thing as it's considered "severe" pre-eclampsia.) So as of now, if protein and swelling are the biggest issue, you'll hopefully be able to hang in there for several more weeks. Keep us updated!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Sat Aug 11, 639240 5:53 pm

Have you had any other tests? Bloodwork to monitor for any potential for HELLP? NST and BPPs to see how baby is doing? At this stage, with your symptoms, I'd be pushing for regular 24-hr urine labs (but it sounds great that your dr is being proactive with this). You may also want to discuss with your dr the possibility and timing of any shots for helping baby's lungs mature quicker, just in case. You may want to ask about home BP monitoring, with a log, many drs say to check 3-4 times a day. My dr had me check 4 times/day, then if a number was high to lay down for awhile. Then I'd sit up, wait a few minutes for the BP to adjust again, and recheck. 2 high numbers in a row meant I had to call in to the office during office hrs, and L&D after hours.

I can't help you more than this, but feel free to post as needed on this board, the ladies are great!
2005: PE/IUGR pregnancy with Daughter, born 40+2 induction. Diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (or Sensory Integration Dysfunction) in 2010. Diagnosed with ADHD in 2011. It's getting better with OT and treatment!
2009: PIH pregnancy with Son, born 38+5. Diagnosed in 2011 as Developmental Language Delays, Social-Emotional-Communication Delays. More testing Nov. 2011.
2011: I'm undergoing neurological testing. Praying for the best!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat Aug 11, 639240 4:44 am

I am sorry you had to find us!

I had early onset and was diagnosed and hospitalized at 24.4 weeks (but had symptoms before, but I did not know, so I did not get them checked out). I held on for 10 days and Henry was born at 25.6 weeks. But there are some women who go much longer than that, and some deliver within hours of diagnosis. Since everybody is diffferent, it is hard to predict. Has your doctor mentioned anything what to expect?

Hope you can keep your baby growing inside for a while longer. Keeping my fingers crossed.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

IamSupergirl

24 hr 478 at 24.5 wks and 832 at 26 wks...what can I expect?

Postby IamSupergirl » Fri Aug 10, 639240 8:40 am

Hi everyone,

I have been reading on this website non-stop since my doctor told me I have preeclampsia. It is by far the best resource I have found so far!

This is all new for me - this is my fourth pregnancy, my first boy, and my first time dealing with preeclampsia. My doctor had mentioned at my last two appts (18 and 22 weeks) that I had some protein in my urine and had me do the 24 hr urine test. After I turned it in, but before I got the results, I started having some other symptoms. I suddenly had huge ankles with pitting edema, a weight gain of 6 lbs in a few days, and a mild but persistent headache. I stopped at my local pharmacy and asked them to take my blood pressure and it was 160/95. They recommended going to my doctor's office. There is was 142/95 after sitting and resting for 10 min. My doctor put me on bedrest and had me do another 24 hr urine test. I met with him this week and here are the results:

24hr urine test done on 3/4/11 - 478 protein level (I was 24.5 weeks)
24hr urine test done on 3/14/11 - 832 protein level (I was 26 weeks)
I'll be turning in another 24hr in a few days and will get the results when I am just barely 27 weeks...

My swelling is completely down after a week on bedrest...I actually have ankles again. I still have the headache...but it is super mild and goes away sometimes with Tylenol...and sometimes doesn't. My BP at the doctor's office was about the same.

It sounds like most women aren't diagnosed this early...and not with these protein levels. Has anyone been in this situation? What can I expect from here? I know the average is 2 weeks from diagnosis to delivery...but that is considering most women are diagnosed after 30wks and many after 34wks. Being so early, am I looking at 2 weeks or is there hope for me to hold out longer before I deliver? I know this is a completely unpredictable disease, but I am hoping to hear from others with similar situations.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”