Just introducing myself

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Just introducing myself

Postby alviarin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 03:19 pm

McKenna, how did your appointment go? Please keep us posted as you are able. :)
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

brandib

Postby brandib » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Mckena :0) You're so close to delivery! Congrats on ur baby boy!! I'm glad ur mild right now, but be careful cuz that can change quickly! Midwives do try to keep you pregnant as long as possible, even longer than docs and they try also lol, but I'd be asking about induction quite soon :0) 38 weeks right on the nose sounds good to me :0) Keep us posted on whats going on! You're right at the finish line! :0)

ps-----I'm assuming they checked your reflexes etc. Everything was normal?

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi McKenna, welcome to the forums! It sounds like your doctor is staying on top of things with the 24 hr. Be your own advocate!! Checking your blood pressure at home is perfect. Report any high readings to your doc and you may want to start charting your bp taking it at the same time each day. One of my first symptoms was swelling throughout my pregnancy. I had that before all the other issues came later. Good luck and take it easy!

Please take care and ask questions here if you have any. These ladies are awesome!!
Last edited by mellybute on Fri Feb 25, 2011 09:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa ~ 36 years old

Son ~ born April 2006 ~ No Complications
Son ~ born August 2009 ~ severe post partum pre-eclampsia, still on bp meds (never returned to normal)

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 07:23 pm

McKena, welcome! I'm glad you found us too and that you're being so proactive! It sounds like you're on top of things. The only recommendation I have is to go with your gut, don't second guess yourself. It could make a huge difference with your outcome. I hope you have a safe delivery! Congrats on your lil' man!
Take care,
Mindy
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

Mckena33

Postby Mckena33 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 02:40 pm

Thanks for quick response! Have an appointment tomorrow afternoon, thankfully. I think I am just stressing myself out, but seems like things could get ugly pretty quickly. And they really scared me that first day in the hospital, just made me realize how serious pre-e actually is. A nurse had told me that my midwife was known for keeping babies in as long as possible, so I guess she has her reasons for waiting. Definitely going to discuss this with her tomorrow, however, because I know worrying will only make it worse. Oh, and they didn't tell me any bp to watch for, I've just been doing it for my own peace of mind.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 02:16 pm

Hi McKena, welcome to the forums. I'm in Texas also.

When is your next appointment? If I were you I would ask about the risk/benefits of inducing sooner. You could ask their opinion on the recent HYPITAT trial: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... 4/abstract

I'm glad you are watching your blood pressure at home, have they given you any guidelines as far as what BP numbers would warrant a phone call or a trip to L&D?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Mckena33

Just introducing myself

Postby Mckena33 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 01:58 pm

Hello all, I'm McKena. I've been reading a lot of past posts to ease some of my worries and figured I'd better register and introduce myself! I'm in Texas, under the care of a midwife who practices under an obgyn. I'm 37 weeks and 3 days, and was diagnosed with pre-e at 36 and 6. My normal bp has been 90/50, and it slowly crept up to 140/90 over the pregnancy. Started spilling protein, so had a 24 hour urine test. Lab said it was 6,500 (I don't know the units they use for protein here) and my midwife told me I was about to become a mommy! Literally seconds before they put me on a mag drip and inserted a catheter, midwife came back and said lab tech had put a decimal in the wrong spot, so really the number was only 650, and not an emergency situation. They decided not to induce and kept me in the hospital for 3 days to monitor me, and I stayed stable. So now I'm at home on strict bedrest, and just turned in another 24 hour urine test. My father-in-law gave me his bp machine, so I've been watching that closely, still in the 140s/90s. I'm really swollen, but experiencing no other side effects (vision normal, no headaches, no abdominal pain). I have been worrying so much, and just reading all I can get my hands on, and was so thankful to find this site! I realize how fortunate I am that this is occurring now and not weeks earlier. Still, I see that most women here were induced at 37 weeks if they were preeclamptic, so just wondering why my doc is holding out. Don't want to push my luck, just wanting a healthy baby! (boy by the way :) originally due on my birthday, march 11th). But that's my story, just wanted to express my thanks for everyone else's stories, as they help me to know I'm not alone in all this!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”