BPs better when up??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: BPs better when up??

Postby alviarin » Sat Aug 08, 639237 4:42 am

Sorry about the high BP reading, how are you feeling today? How did your appointment go?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

cc

Postby cc » Thu Jul 16, 639237 2:01 am

I'm still hoping for a natural delivery where baby picks his/her own due date but I'm thinking that's not gonna happen this time either. I go tomorrow for my appt and a NST and I'm thinking we'll be talking induction at that point.

This afternoon I started to feel a bit swollen (even though I was just laying down doing nothing) and asked my MIL to take my BP and it was 132/92 a few minutes after I got up so it looks like it's headed in the wrong direction :( But very thankful to be so sensitive to feeling any changes in my body...

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Jul 15, 639237 10:38 pm

I also noticed my BPs were higher at night during my second pregnancy. But unfortunately I got to the point where any activity would shoot my blood pressure up, even in the morning.

Hopefully your BP will stay stable until (& after!) delivery. Yeah for 37 weeks! Do you have a delivery date set?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

cc

Postby cc » Wed Jul 15, 639237 11:25 am

Very good thoughts. Thanks! I have noticed now that it is better in the AM if I do get up and do something - just a little something like a small walk outside or my short little Target trip but at nighttime if I do anything beyond eating dinner (if I help clean up or get DD cleaned, ect) it shoots way way up. So I'm guessing for me it's a morning vs. nighttime thing - and this might be natural for us all. I definitely feel lucky to have learned about this site and know all the symptoms to watch for in the next few days (and hopefully not weeks but maybe weeks!)

crowderkb

Postby crowderkb » Sun Jul 05, 639237 1:47 am

My Bps are MUCH better when I actually do stuff. I found in this pregnancy and the last that I needed not only to rest (nap) each day and eliminate as much stress as possible, but that I needed to take a walk every day. If I miss a walk, my BPs go up that evening and are higher the next day. When I am on strict bed rest my BPs just go up. I think it is important to note however that until this pregnancy (#4) I only ever had PIH, no pre-e or protein in my urine. I have protein this time, but I started my pregnancy with 300 in my urine. It is going up slightly but not too bad. I think my PIH and protein are unrelated and so does my MFM. So having said that, I think for many people bed rest is the best option and really buys some time, but there are those of us for whom it may do more harm than good. It is important to pay attention to what works for you, monitor your BPs and notice what your body tells you.
Also, Bps seem to be higher upon waking or after lying down for a while. I usually wait a while after waking to take my first BP.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sat Jul 04, 639237 8:40 am

Your bp is naturally going to fluctuate through out the day, so I wouldn't be too alarmed. Let your doc know. Sounds like you are doing awesome! It also sounds like you are really in tune to your body, so follow your instincts and know the signs and symptoms.

cc

BPs better when up??

Postby cc » Thu Jun 11, 639237 8:07 am

Background is that I developed PIH at 33 wks-ish with DD, bedrest at 35 wks and delivery at 37 wks when sonos showed DD wasn't growing. Healthy baby but I developed pre-e post partum and was in the hospital a week after her birth for mag/sulf and stayed on 2 BP meds for about 7-ish weeks.

This pg my BPs were awesome until last week at 35.5 wks when (after a particularly AWFUL day of work) I woke up with swelling, feeling "off" and when DH took my pressures they were high for me but not "dangerous" high (130s/high 80s, 1 reading with a 90 bottom number). My midwife had me come in - same readings 130ish/88-89 and she put me on bedrest again.

It's been a week and I'm taking my BPs at home but I've noticed that with rare exception my BPs are actually *lower* when I've been up and about for a while. Ex. I went to my sono this week and then my m/w appt and it was 128/82 (I'm normally around 110/74) but when I take it after resting it's in the 130/88 range again. Today I went to Target for about 20 mins (I'm allowed 2 hours "up" time per day...not sure they meant Target runs but we were out of toliet paper!) and took it when I got home and it was 126/82.

Is this just some strange coincidence with day/time/what I ate for lunch? Any thoughts?

eta: I'm 37 wks tomorrow :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”