How long between diagnosis and delivery?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jlruff

Re: How long between diagnosis and delivery?

Postby jlruff » Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:38 pm

I was on bed rest for 11 weeks! LONG 11 weeks. My son was born at 35, and was small but fine. No steroids. Good luck!

kathrynb

Postby kathrynb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 02:20 pm

Yes, I did have the steroid shots. I started them the day that I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia which was at 32 weeks. I am hoping to make it a little longer too! So far, so good. I am glad that you were able to make it to term with both of yours!
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches

mcam10

Postby mcam10 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 02:09 pm

have you gotten steroid shots yet? i hope you make it a little bit longer. i was diagnosed and delivered at 38w2d with my son. i was diagnosed at 32 weeks with my daughter and made it to 37 weeks and was then induced. they gave me steroid shots at 32 weeks, though, just in case, since things can change so quickly with this. i was also put on bedrest from 32-37 weeks, and i really think that made the difference. so if you haven't already delivered, i hope they are getting you steroid shots (and if not, maybe ask about it) and that you are home and just counting the days :).
Melanie
Aidan born at 38w2d in Aug. 2006 due to mild PE
Nadia born at 37w0d in Sept. 2010 due to mild PE and PP PE

kathrynb

Postby kathrynb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:20 am

Thank you for all of the responses! We had a scare yesterday. I went in for an appointment and my blood pressure had gone way up and the baby only scored a 2 on his bio physical profile. They sent us to the hospital and thought we would have to deliver. But at the hospital they got my bp down and re-did the bio physical and he scored a 6. So the kept us overnight and did another ultra-sound this morning and he finally got his perfect score, so they sent us home. He has also dropped from the 71st percentile to the 50th percentile for his weight in the last two weeks, so he is definitely starting to suffer from me being sick. The doctor is thinking it will probably only be days before we deliver, but hey, every day counts and at least we dodged the bullet yesterday.
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Fri Feb 11, 2011 03:03 pm

There is so much variation when looking at diagnosis to delivery. I was diagnosed borderline HELLP at 2:30 pm (from bloodwork done the day before), sent to the hospital to be induced, (all at 36 weeks) more bloodwork was run and I was then diagnosed with full HELLP at 5:00 and was taken in for the c-section at 5:30 once blood and platelets arrived. My son was born at 5:57 pm. It was way too quick, but in some ways it may have been a blessing as I didn't have any time to think about what was happening, it all just went so fast. I can't imagine what the waiting must be like - but I hope you have a "long wait" for your little one to do some more "cooking" in there! Best wishes!

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am

I'd say about 5 hours between diagnosis and delivery. I woke up to severe urq pain and went to the er where my bp was sky high. After they finally got the blood work back with the diagnosis of HELLP I was delivered within about 5 hours. I was 36 wks 0 days, DD was 4lbs 10oz but surprisingly strong and healthy. No NICU, four days in hospital and finally home. We got really lucky...
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Thu Feb 10, 2011 08:07 pm

First time it was two weeks. I was diagnosed at 34 weeks but my ob wanted me to go to term so they held off with me on bedrest until 37 weeks. (I became hyperreflexic and bps through the roof). Second time PE hit @ 36 weeks so I was induced the day my bps shot up. (different doctor) :) And yes, I agree that it is good you are at 32 weeks. Hang in there and keep us posted!
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:41 pm

Yes, it does very much depend on your pregnancy, so all we can say is that the average is two weeks. At 37 weeks they'd just induce, but earlier than that they want to try to balance the interests of the mother against the 1-day-in-saves-2-in-NICU phenomenon.

I made it 48 hours, with diagnosis at 33 weeks 5 days and delivery at 34 weeks.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:26 pm

I was put on bedrest at 32 weeks and delivered at 35 weeks due to sudden onset of HELLP.
Rebecca, DS born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks in '06 due to pre-e and Class 1 HELLP

christina89

Postby christina89 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:03 pm

I was diagnosed at 19 weeks and devivered at 23 plus 2 so for me it was 4 weeks before i delivered. at 32 weeks your in a good position. I hope you have many more weeks of pregnancy. Keep me updated.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”