For those of you who were induced at 37 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
celticepona

Re: For those of you who were induced at 37 weeks

Postby celticepona » Thu Feb 10, 2011 08:29 pm

I had both girls @ 37 weeks on the nose. Their lungs were fine and they did not need steroids. :)
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 am

I think the amnio at 37 weeks is more for hospital policy than anything else. My hospital had no amnio requirement for my 37 or 38 week inductions but my OB was planning to do one to induce #3 at 36 weeks. If we hadn't needed to deliver because I was sick, we'd have done the amnio & if lungs were mature go ahead & delivered *before* things got wrose with me. But if they hadn't been mature, perhaps we would have waited a few more days with a close eye on me.

PE babies actual tend to develop a little faster (if I recall correctly). Like having "stress" in utero of dealing with mom's high BP and such makes them have to work a little harder and become stronger than they otherwise would have had to.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am

crowd- If you are having PE indicators, they aren't/won't make you do the amnio, they just deliver. It's when there are no medical indications for delivery except for history (like a stillbirth) that they do the amnio and then deliver early.

I'm not sure why they do the amnio at 37 weeks either- I think in some cases it's hospital policy. I was under the impression that my choices were to do the amnio at 36 weeks and deliver the next day if lungs were mature, or just wait until 37 weeks and deliver without an amnio (but I had a classic c-section which I guess may be more of a medical indication than history since I'm at risk for rupture if I go into labor.) I know someone in our support group who had an amnio to be induced at 38 weeks which I thought was kind of weird (her first was a 1 day past due date stillbirth for unknown reasons), I don't really get why they made her do the amnio even at 38 weeks.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:49 am

Thats actually a great question. I wonder that myself. If 37 weeks is fullterm...why the amnio?
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

crowderkb

Postby crowderkb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:24 am

I am confused. I was under the impression that 37 weeks was considered full term. If that is the case then why is their worry about respiratory immaturity? Is it because PE babies tend to develop slower? I have had one at 36 weeks, one at 37 weeks and one at 39 weeks, all naturally and spontaneously and none of them had breathing issues. I also didn't have any abnormal bloodwork or urine with them (just high BP). Now I have high BP and protein in y urine with #4 at 32 weeks. Do you think they are going to throw this amnio thing at me? I like to be prepared with questions and opinions before I am told what I should do. DO tey look at other factors like the BPP results in making that decision? Thanks!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:36 pm

No C/S for any of mine & all 3 were induced for PE. All 3 had mature lungs (and I didn't have steroids with any of them). My first I'd had PTL at 31 weeks & started dilating. I was at 3 cm before they even started the induction at 37 weeks (for maternal indicators). "Routine" induction scheduled for 38 weeks w/#2 because BP had been rising & because my OB didn't want her to get too big. (We had issues with #1 getting stuck and needing to suction and then "salad spoon" her out even with an episiotomy - OUCH!)

#3 I'd had several ER trips for PE issues & scheduled an amnio for the day I turned 36 weeks. But at my appt. that day we went ahead with the induction w/out an amnio because of maternal indicators again. She was my longest induction at just over 12 hours because she wasn't tolerating the contractions well. My first 2 were 6 & 10 hours with pitocin only.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

brandib

Postby brandib » Mon Feb 07, 2011 09:35 pm

Laura you can get primrose oil from any healthfood store. Although I did everything to help me and nothing did. I even did the black and blue cohash nasty drops lol.

My friend just delivered 3 weeks ago. Her last baby died in utero at 34 weeks to preeclampsia and she just delivered a healthy little girl at 37 weeks on the nose. They had just did an amnio and it wasnt mature but they ended up delivering the next day because of her PE again and they expected the baby to have respitory problems, but she didn't. She went home after the standard stay :0) No help needed at all!

Mine weren't so fortunate. My 36 weeker and my 37 weeker spent time in the Nicu. 36 weeker needed cpap for a few days and syrfactant. He spent 10 days in Nicu and my 37 weeker spent 11 days in Nicu with almost a full 7 being on a ventilator! I guess you just never know. I never had an amnio with either though cuz they were delivering regardless.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 08:53 pm

Where did you get this primrose oil?
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

mrss

Postby mrss » Mon Feb 07, 2011 08:22 pm

With my DS, I was diagnosed at 37 weeks 2 days and did not need a c-section. I had been using Evening Primrose Oil for a few weeks to help ripen my cervix. DH was also doing his part to help with cervical ripening. :oops:
Michelle (38)
DH (50)
Adam 6/10/06 at 37w2d, 5 lbs. 12 oz.
Julianne 10/4/10 at 35w5d, 5 lbs. 5 oz.

mich00rn

Postby mich00rn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 03:46 pm

Just delivered my 2nd baby and had pre-e with both of my boys. My first was born at 36 weeks with induction due to severe pre-e (diagnosed at 28 weeks). Keegan only had mild respiratory issues and was discharged home after 3 days however we were readmitted the next day for jaundice. My second child was just born 2 weeks ago at 35 weeks and again I was induced for severe pre-e that was 1st diagnosed at 23 weeks but was able to limp along with bedrest and lots of montioring for 12 weeks! Ryan was small, 5lbs 4oz but healthy with no respiratory issues and just had to stay in hospital for 1 extra day due to jaundice. My 1st induction I wont lie....was miserable- 36 hours and ended with partial abruption. My 2nd was a breeze-6 hours start to finish! Ended up on Mag. for both, ewwwwww! That was the worst part. In both cases we did not make it to the point of amnio but I too was told that we would not go past 37 weeks in either pregnancy. Good luck with your amnio....I must say I am a pediatric nurse and rarely hear amnio results at 37 weeks with lungs that are immature so I hope that is reassuring :D

Return to “Ask the Experienced”