For those of you who were induced at 37 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re: For those of you who were induced at 37 weeks

Postby brandib » Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:18 pm

Mfm told me today at my appt that even at 37 weeks pulmonary hypertension ( very dangerous) is a risk. Thats what my baby had at 37 weeks. Hoping to go all the way to 39 weeks to avoid the nicu altogether this time, but they're thinking probably between 36-37 BUT if my bp behaves, I might just make it to 39 :0)

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 08:09 pm

Here is a link to one of the new studies where they looked at deliveries at 36-38 weeks with fetal pulmonary maturity and compared them to deliveries at 39-41 weeks...http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/216372.php

Here is the conclusion, but keep in mind I don't think they are suggesting we shouldn't deliver if our pregnancies are with complications putting mom & baby at risk. I think it is more counseling of risk when early deliveries are needed and discouraging elective deliveries for "convenience".

"The study concluded that despite fetal pulmonary maturity, deliveries between 36 0/7 to 38 6/7 weeks are associated with significantly increased neonatal morbidity.

"Patients need to be counseled carefully if they choose to have a scheduled delivery prior to 39 weeks," said Dr. Fang. "Even if tests indicate that their baby's lungs are mature, delivery prior to 39 weeks is not without risks.""
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

mcam10

Postby mcam10 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 02:02 pm

i was diagnosed with my second at 32 weeks, given steroid shots then, and induced right at 37 weeks. the epidural didn't work for either of my babies, so i don't know if it was that painful cuz of that or the pitocin, but luckily, with my second, i was induced at 8:30am and had her just before 11am, so at least i wasn't in pain for too long! but anyway, they never did an amnio, i'm guessing because i had the steroid shots and 37 weeks is full term, although just barely. they couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't need the NICU, but were confident that if she did, it wouldn't be for long. she was born with no problems at all except jaundice. we did have to do the car seat test for her since she was just barely full term, but luckily, she passed it. i actually started dilating and thinning around 35 weeks, and i remember my doc saying she wouldn't stop it if labor started since i had the steroid shots and her size was good, plus with the pre-e, we would be doing more harm than good trying to stop things then to just be done.
Melanie
Aidan born at 38w2d in Aug. 2006 due to mild PE
Nadia born at 37w0d in Sept. 2010 due to mild PE and PP PE

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 09:21 pm

Oh, my OB was on the news a while back discussing the 39 week initiative and a lot of the concerns about elective deliveries prior to 39 weeks. If anyone wants to see the video, PM me and I'll send you the link to his practice's website. (I would post it here, but I don't think we are supposed to mention dr names or practices on the forum.)
Becky
Mom to...
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 09:14 pm

My understanding is that in a *normal* pregnancy, if you go in to labor at 37 weeks, most doctors will NOT try to stop labor.
I thought I've read that they normally don't try to stop labor after 34 weeks. But maybe that's outdated or I'm mis-remembering.
Angie, you might be right about that. I'm not sure, but I think at 34 weeks it is more likely to depend on hospital/NICU status/DR. I have a friend that started having contractions at 36+ weeks and her OB gave her meds to stop labor. I thought that was really strange because she had a history of classical c-section & was higher risk for rupture. Had her MFM been notified, I think he would have recommended delivery. (we used the same MFM & he told me after 34 weeks he wouldn't try to stop labor, but that was due to previous classical c-section). When they finally did her c-section, she had a "window" in her previous scar and the OB could see the baby before she even cut into the uterus!

My son was a 35 weeker--literally 4 hrs shy of 36 weeks--and he spent over 2 weeks in the NICU for breathing issues, but I've seen on here where other 35 weekers don't spend any time in the NICU. I think in the 36-38 week range, it is just a coin toss.
Becky
Mom to...
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

angieb

Postby angieb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:22 pm

P.S. The "guest" was me. That's weird, I thought I was signed in. I can't edit it, but anyway, that was me. :)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 pm

My understanding is that in a *normal* pregnancy, if you go in to labor at 37 weeks, most doctors will NOT try to stop labor.
I thought I've read that they normally don't try to stop labor after 34 weeks. But maybe that's outdated or I'm mis-remembering.

brandib

Postby brandib » Fri Feb 11, 2011 09:57 pm

Rebecca----one of the Mfm's I saw last pregnancy explained the same thing to me. He said that when we get babies born at 36 and 37 weeks, some do good, some not so good, but if we keep trending like that, we're gonna end up with a lot of unhealthy kids later on. They reallllly push to keep you pregnant until 39 weeks as much as possible. When they suggested 39 weeks to me ( earlier in pregnancy) I flipped, but then they ended up saying they weren't gonna let me go past 37. I asked about steroids and they dont' give them past 34 weeks. Not that I can quote anything, but I've heard the same that new research shows that 37 weeks is not full term.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 08:48 pm

Thats actually a great question. I wonder that myself. If 37 weeks is fullterm...why the amnio?
My understanding is that in a *normal* pregnancy, if you go in to labor at 37 weeks, most doctors will NOT try to stop labor. However, there is a big push, at least where I live, called the 39 week initiative where a lot of hospitals will not allow elective deliveries prior to 39 weeks without a maternal or fetal cause. Apparently over the past 2-3 years new research shows elective deliveries prior to 39 weeks are associated with increased risk of NICU admission, issues with baby maintaining temp, feeding, breathing, etc. and higher c-scection rates for mom.
Becky
Mom to...
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Fri Feb 11, 2011 03:12 pm

I have always read that 37 weeks is full term. My son was just 36 weeks so he had to have the car seat test ect. (yea he failed and we had to buy that stupid car bed to get him out of the hospital even though he was fine and never spent any time in the NICU. Evening Primrose oil - got mine at the local health food store along with every other thing my midwives could do to "move things along" there at the end since I was sooo swollen. Yea, it was a c-section because it was an emergency and I developed HELLP (no amino). There would have been no time for the steroid shot, but My OB said that they don't give it after 34 weeks anyway. My HELLP diagnosis came at 5:00 and I was in the OR at 5:50. My little man was great from the beginning, no lung problems at all. In fact he was as healthy as could be, it was me who was so sick. I am so thankful that I got sick and not him. I think it just depends on the pregnancy. WIshing you the best!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”