Sex life of a chronic hypertensive person

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rexelliz

Re: Sex life of a chronic hypertensive person

Postby rexelliz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm

brandib - With a BP of 140/90, I could feel my heart beating hard and fast and my legs and my jaw would be trembling. My body doesn't seem to be comfortable at that blood pressure level. I was prescribed Norvasc (10 mg) and Metoprolol Extended Release Succinate (150mg). Initially, I had Labetalol instead of Metoprolol. I am also on a low salt diet and my meals are mostly veggies and fruits. I am trying to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. So far, I have lost 25 lbs (I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy.)

To everyone in this forum, thank you very much for your replies! I really appreciate it. I am glad I found this website while I was searching online to know more about pre-eclampsia. I have learned a lot about pre-eclampsia and other women's experiences.
- Rexy,
Severe pre-E on 1st pregnancy. Mahalia was born healthy at 35 weeks on 11/22/10.
pre-e on 2nd pregnancy. Rumi was born at 35 weeks on 12/05/12 with respiratory distress and needing 100% CPAP. Stayed in NICU for 2 weeks.

brandib

Postby brandib » Wed Feb 02, 2011 07:48 pm

Well, my bp averages on two meds around 145/95 currently and I still get some pretty high readings of 170/120 to this day. If your meds are keeping you under the 120/80 range......and your only two months pp anyways, I'm thinking sex is A ok for you :0) A Bp of 140/90 isn't gonna kill you :0) With my first child, my bp went back to normal within six weeks. What are you taking right now???? And just being 2 months pp is normal to not have much sex drive even without Preeclampsia added to the mix!!! Give yourself some time sweeite!!! HUGS!

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 pm

I now also have chronic hypertension. My son is 18 months old tomorrow and my bp never went back to normal. The good news is that I was released on 4 meds and now just take one that controls mine very well. I can relate (as most ladies on this forum) with your feelings about your traumatic experience. I did not feel even remotely like myself until about 3 months post partum. I got on low dose Zoloft around 4 weeks pp for my anxiety and stayed on it until a year post partum. I had NEVER had anxiety in my life like I was feeling then. I had NEVER had high blood pressure either. It took me awhile to accept that I needed the bp med. You are still recovering physically and mentally, so be gentle on yourself. PE is traumatic. Come to this forum and lean on these women. That is what I did and it worked WONDERS for me post partum.

As for the sex part, I had the same fears at first, but believe me you will be FINE :-) Chronic hypertensives live normal lives, we just have to monitor our bp periodically. I had some of the same ideas that you are having. I would ask doctors what can I or can't I do? And they would tell me, um, just live you life and take your lil pill and check your bp a couple times a week. It took me a LONG while to get that but I did and you will too.

There is still hope that your bp will normalize too. Lots of women on this forum were able to wean off meds weeks, months, I have even seen up two two years post partum.

So HANG IN THERE!!!
Melissa ~ 36 years old

Son ~ born April 2006 ~ No Complications
Son ~ born August 2009 ~ severe post partum pre-eclampsia, still on bp meds (never returned to normal)

vit9109

Postby vit9109 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 am

I had pre-e postpartum and it took a full 6 months on BP medication before my BP returned to normal range. I have since been off BP meds. I follow a low sodium diet. It has done wonders for me.
I can relate to feeling depressed and frustrated about everything that you are going through. I went through the same thing. So I do truly know how you feel. I remember asking the doctors about having sex with high BP and they recommened on the days that my BP's were higher to not have sex and the days that my BP's were lower in range would be better. Of course, this was frustrating but my husband and I worked thru it because we had too.It took time for my body to recover but it did and thats what is important!!
We worked together and he was just amazingly understanding as to what my body was going thru and that it needed time to heal. And it did as yours will too!!!!
I just wanted to give you encouragement that you are not alone in this. Your feelings of doubt, frustration, sadness, are all normal and will go away. Your body was pregnant for 9 months and has been through alot. I never thought that I would see the light of day with it. I was just so devastated that I was on BP medication and that I was going through weekly doctors appt for BP management as well as a month hospitalization and two additional hospitalizations following that. Try and keep your head high. I went through something very traumatic after the delivery of my son so I know what it feels like.
But sex is safe. My husband and I started very gradually to get my body used to it again. Just start slow and feel your body out. Each day your body heals a little more and more. Even though it may be slower path than you want you will get there!!!

Hang in there!!! GL!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 09:10 pm

Yes, sex is safe for chronic hypertensives! Probably you're not doing anything to cause your blood pressure to rise; postpartum your body is trying to repair the damage from preeclampsia and that simply takes longer in chronics.

FWIW, I'm a chronic, my pressures took four months to normalize postpartum, I didn't really have any psychological sequelae, and yet my libido took the better part of a year to return (and when it did, I was still nursing, so my loss of libido wasn't caused by the breastfeeding.) I expect that you will also recover with time, and perhaps some counseling - many of our posters have PTSD after the trauma of preeclampsia and benefit from some professional assistance.

Hugs to you - this disease is just no fun whatsoever.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 07:49 pm

I have a friend who's bp took 4 months to go bath to normal after having her daughter.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 05:27 pm

I don't have any advice about the chronic hypertension part, but I wanted to let you know that I am also dealing with a very decreased sex drive since having my daughter. I think some of it is just normal post-birth and breastfeeding stuff, but it's really frustrating for both my husband and I. You are only two months past giving birth, so you might just need a little more time to get those feelings back.
Amanda, mom to:
Bennett, born 11/24/08 at 31 weeks 2 days due to HELLP. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches
Vivian, born 10/28/10 at 39 weeks 1 day. Induced due to mildly creeping BP's. 7 lbs. 10oz. 20 inches.

2011 Denver Promise Walk and 5K Run Co-coordinator
Register here:

http://www.promisewalk.org/pfpw/fundeve ... ffundid=28

rexelliz

Sex life of a chronic hypertensive person

Postby rexelliz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 04:14 pm

I am now considered chronic since my BP didn't go down 6 weeks post partum. It's been 2 months since I had my baby and I am happy to say that she is doing well and very healthy.

I am on BP medications and I have been quite depressed ever since the traumatic experience on PE and the hypertension. The reality of mortality depresses me. I want to live long enough to see my daughter have a family of her own.

I am on BP medications which make my BP stay at 100/70 to 120/80 but from time to time my BP would go up to 140/90 though I can't figure out what causes it to go up. My husband has been very understanding and patient about what I'm going through. And because of this I feel guilty when I don't respond like I used to when he wants some passionate time. I know that BP goes up during sex. And I fear that it might be too high for my body to handle :(

Is sex safe even if you have chronic hypertension?
- Rexy,
Severe pre-E on 1st pregnancy. Mahalia was born healthy at 35 weeks on 11/22/10.
pre-e on 2nd pregnancy. Rumi was born at 35 weeks on 12/05/12 with respiratory distress and needing 100% CPAP. Stayed in NICU for 2 weeks.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”