Update

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
celticepona

Re: Update

Postby celticepona » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:50 am

Celina just hang in there. people who insist on the laying down part of taking bps are huge pet peeves for me and I got rude to a doc and made him take it sitting up. :) I also delivered my second at a teaching hospital, where my high risk peris work out of, so I saw different doctors all the time. I know it can be frustrating. Just hang in there and continue not being afraid to speak up for yourself. Rest up and stay down. Hang on you are almost there!
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

celina

Postby celina » Fri Jan 07, 2011 01:13 am

Im pretty sure it is a teaching hospital. I don't remember specifically being told so but it's a military hospital and I think that is their default setting.

I keep running into the "aren't these beautiful ( laying down) BP"people. I think they are trending upwards again so in the morning I need to make sure the doctors are getting each of my BPs and not just "corrected" ones. I had a highish one just now and she asked me to lay on my left side. I though she just wanted me to rest like that a few minutes but she took my BP again almost instantly. Systolic was roughly the same (144-142) but diastolic went from 108 to 88. I wouldn't mind so much if the full picture was being given, you know? If anyone has any good info on this issue I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Celina

glimmer

!

Postby glimmer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I am sort of glad they have a closer eye on you with these pressures. Don't hesitate to take care of yourself and your child: ask questions and speak up!!!
I wish you all the best for the next (hopefully) weeks!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 05:46 pm

Senior doc is probably more swayed by the HYPITAT study data than the other OB.

No internets at the hospital?? Gah, I'd go nuts. Please keep us posted as you're able!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 08:20 am

Are you in a teaching hospital? If so, yes it is very normal to hear conflicting information. I didn't have so many issues with that before delivery, but my postpartum experience was really sucky, partly because of the frustration I felt due to conflicting information from so many people.

Whereas if I had been able to deliver with my normal doctor in the hospital I planned to, it would have been different because he would have been the only one giving orders and supplying the communication to me or the nurses.

skl

Postby skl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 07:25 pm

Good luck! And yes, all I EVER hear is different stories from my different doctors ...

All best
Sarah

celina

Update

Postby celina » Tue Jan 04, 2011 06:35 pm

I am only now able to post because I was given a pass from the hospital since I've been told I need to stay until our little one is born. I believe I was having a mild reaction to the labetolol even though I was only on a very small dose 100mgs/day (dose was split in two and taken 12 hours apart).

I am now on procardia (30mgs) but whenever I get up to do something, my BP shoots up. They don't take my BP very frequently while at the hospital so I doubt they would catch it judging by the intensity of my headache after activities such as taking a shower or changing clothes, I know it is up. Yet for some reason my most recent 24 hour urine results were <50. My BPs before I started the procardia were in the 180/102 range (while still on the labetolol). When i took it when I got home after sitting for a bit it was 166/112. I don't get it. Normal protein levels and BPs that high for such a long time.

I am a bit confused as the senior high risk OB here says he doesn't think I will make it to 36/37 weeks but that is as far as he is willing to let me go before delivering our son. The doc I spoke with today said that her cut off is 39. I cannot see waiting that long AT ALL. Especially considering how stressed out I will be once i get to 36/37 weeks on hospital bedrest. Add to that how such little movement tends to make my BP shoot up.

I go back in a few hours but I just wanted to give a quick update as to where we are. I guess it is normal to hear different stories from different doctors? At least I know who to talk to when I am ready to deliver.

Celina, 32+4

Return to “Ask the Experienced”