Rare vasovagal reaction related to PE? Any experiences?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Rare vasovagal reaction related to PE? Any experiences?

Postby caryn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 09:47 am

Ah, that makes more sense now that I've reread your post. :)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

lapetitemo

Postby lapetitemo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 00:38 am

Caryn, thanks for the links...very interesting! Just to clarify, I remember my OB calling the exaggerated Ferguson reflex and its causing the vasovagal reaction rare; I don't think she meant that the vasovagal syncope itself was rare.
Maureen (29) & HJ (29)

Alex (2) - 10/24/08 - PIH @ 32w, labetalol, bed rest for 4 weeks, Severe PE and induction @ 39w
Emily (brand new) - 12/18/10 - Mild PE @ 29w, labetalol, bed rest @ 34w, Severe PE and induction @ 37w

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 04:02 pm

Ah, I knew I'd posted another study about this: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31475&p=26210&hili ... gal#p26210
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 03:53 pm

It's a bit odd that she called it "rare", then -- because vasovagal syncope is very common, and as I understand it more common in younger women with relatively low blood pressures (outside pregnancy.) Not terribly well-understood, but common. Here's a recent full-text review which says Epidemiological studies indicate that up to 40% of the general population has experienced at least one episode of syncope in their lifetime...

It has something to do with autonomic nervous systems, which are connected to the way your body labors and recovers, but then again just about everything is connected here. :)

I have vasovagal syncope as well, and routinely black out during blood draws. Scares the crap out of the phlebotomist so I warn whoever it is that I have to lay down and that I will be fainting and it might look like a seizure.

lapetitemo

Postby lapetitemo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 09:35 pm

Yes, she called it vasovagal syncope (but without the actual syncope since I was lying down before it could happen, but I had the prodromal symptoms of lightheadedness and nausea), probably caused by a (rare) greatly exaggerated Ferguson reflex (this assumption made because of when it happened in the course of my labor). My BP dropped to that level after staying around 150-160s/100s.
Maureen (29) & HJ (29)

Alex (2) - 10/24/08 - PIH @ 32w, labetalol, bed rest for 4 weeks, Severe PE and induction @ 39w
Emily (brand new) - 12/18/10 - Mild PE @ 29w, labetalol, bed rest @ 34w, Severe PE and induction @ 37w

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 am

Did your OB call it "vasovagal syncope"?

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 00:51 am

Very interesting. Just after delivery I underwent a BP rollercoaster 200/150, 50/20 10 min later (this is below what the
automatic machines can take, so it's probably a wrong reading, but it was low for sure...), 10min later: 200/150 and so on.
OBGYN said she had never seen anything else. I had the same after the birth of my first son and thought I had overdosed on Mag. However, the second rime they held a close tabs on the Mag, so I know for sure I wasn't overdosed. I assume that some sort of underlying condition was responsible for both the PE and the rollercoaster?!

Congratulations!!!

celina

Postby celina » Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:07 am

I know that after I had an epidural (I had to have a c/s) my BPs just before my last delivery were quite low. When we made the decision to go to the ER (I'd had one previous c/s and was offered a gentle induction) my BP was about 175/120. In the OR just as they were getting down to baby it was in the 90/65 range. I was told that it was probably the epidural but I am not sure. I do not remember being told that I received Magnesium sulfate, though I know I've had it before.

I'll be interested to hear any responses to your question.

Congratulations on the birth of your sweet little girl:) Sounds like your providers were on the ball and your body was too.

Celina

lapetitemo

Rare vasovagal reaction related to PE? Any experiences?

Postby lapetitemo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 00:42 am

I just had my little girl 11 days ago, after a long bout with PE. I was diagnosed with gestational hypertension at 29 weeks and developed full-blown severe PE at 37 weeks exactly, at which point I was induced. I had almost the exact same progression to PE with my son two years ago, except everything happened 3 weeks earlier this time around. Both times when I went in to be induced, I was already 3cm dilated and contracting every 5 minutes...I swear, my body knew it was time. Both times I was induced by having my water broken, but this time a trivial amount of pitocin was added. I had no epi or pain meds. Both labors progressed similarly....a few hours of almost no pain or dilation followed by an hour or so of intense, fast labor. Each time I also experienced a huge BP crash (down to 70/30) that only affected me, not baby. My OB explained that the crash was due to a rare vasovagal reaction triggered by fast dilation, and that it happens due to the fact that my blood vessels don't compensate very well (can't dilate and contract normally) under stress. This immediately made me think about how it might be associated with PE since I've had similar experiences in both pregnancies. Maybe the vessel damage from PE brought this on, or maybe this is something preexisting in my anatomy that made me more susceptible to developing PE. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Last edited by lapetitemo on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maureen (29) & HJ (29)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”