What are the odds?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
emily kates mom

Re : What are the odds?

Postby emily kates mom » Tue Jun 29, 2004 08:26 pm

Thank you for your quick responses! The information you shared was great. I will definitely be planning a detailed visit with my OB before the pregnancy #2. Before we do that though, we need to get Emily Kate out of diapers.... [:D]

Thanks Again,
Allison

Mommy to Emily Kate
3lbs. 7 oz.
Born 9/23/03
**2 months early due to preeclampsia.

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Jun 29, 2004 04:09 pm

LOL Ann Marie!![8D]

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Tue Jun 29, 2004 04:04 pm

Julie...we must have been posting at the same time. Boy great minds think alike[:I][:I].

Ann Marie (29)
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Tue Jun 29, 2004 04:03 pm

Hi Emily Kate's Mom,

Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear that you had pe. I'm glad to hear both you and your baby girl are doing well now. Our expert panel addressed this question. Here is the link: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331

There is no 100% gurantee, unfortunately. Some of the moms have gone and met with perinatologists prior to ttc for a preconception consutltation to examine what their risk of recurrance is and what things (if any) they can do to reduce the risk.

Good Luck!

Ann Marie (29)
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Jun 29, 2004 04:02 pm

Hi and welcome! I am so happy to read that you and Emily Kate are doing well now!

I have also always been a very healthy person until my bout with preeclampsia. I'd never been in a hospital except to visit others... And, I still remember a time, not too terribly long ago, when I thought having a baby was as easy (ha!) as getting pregnant and waiting around for nine months...

If you do decide to become pregnant again, the best advice I can offer is to schedule a preconception consult with a high-risk OB. And, keep meeting with high-risk OBs until you find one you trust and feel comfortable with, I think it can make a huge difference in your comfort level during a subsequent pregnancy. You will likely be tested for numerous things to rule out any underlying disorders that can increase your risk of preeclampsia. Also you will be able to develop a "game plan" for a future pregnancy. No one will be able to give you any gaurantees about whether or not you will get preeclampsia again but, they will be able to let you know how your care will be managed.

Also, here is a link from our Ask the Experts" section regarding recurrence rates: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... erms=sibai

Again, welcome!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

emily kates mom

What are the odds?

Postby emily kates mom » Tue Jun 29, 2004 03:32 pm

Hi everybody!
Finding this board has been an answer to my prayers! It is so good to know that there are others out there who have gone through the same thing as I have.

I developed pre-eclampsia very quickly at 31 weeks. When I entered the hospital on Sept. 14, I has BP's of 140/80 and was leaking 700 ml (? I'm not exactly sure of the units the protien is measured in?). On Sept. 23,(33 wks.) the day Emily Kate was born, my BP was 200/100, and I was leaking 5000+ ml pf protien. This was very scary for us. I am a very healthy person, and have never experienced any seroius medical problems.Luckily, Emily Kate was O.K. She weighed 3.7 lbs. and had to stay in the NICU for 1 month.She had no complications - she only had to grow and learn to eat by bottle.

As I stated above, I am a healthy person. This was such a shock to us when it happened. This is what makes it so scary- I am so scared of this happening again in a 2nd pregnancy. We are so fortunate Emily Kate did so well. However, after spending as month in the NICU, I feel like I know "too much". I have seen some of the other babies who had more complications, and seen what their families went through. I am so scared of getting pregnant again and the next baby being even earlier, and having worse problems.

Can anyone give any advice, or does any one have any website recommendations?

Thank you!
Emily Kate's mom [:I]

Mommy to Emily Kate
3lbs. 7 oz.
Born 9/23/03
**2 months early due to preeclampsia.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”