Accupuncture

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lizard

Re: Accupuncture

Postby lizard » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 am

caryn
what do you know about the difference between enteric coated and uncoated asprin and when to take it? morning vs. night? any insight? thanks!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 05:48 pm

That's a question for your docs. Not everyone is a candidate for either low-dose aspirin or weight loss.

There's a dose-response relationship between weight and preeclampsia rates. "Dose-response relationship" means that as weight increases, preeclampsia rates go up -- the dose increases the response. But some thin women still develop preeclampsia and most obese women still sail through pregnancy without any complications. A doc will have access to all sorts of individual specific information about you (like your weight at age 18, your history of clotting disorders, that kind of thing) that would tailor recommendations much more closely than anyone here can do over the internets (and besides which, we're not docs.)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 01:23 pm

When I got pregnant with my son (born at 35 weeks for PE) I weighed 130 at 5'4 which is average. So should I lose 10 pounds and be slightly underweight before TTC again?
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 pm

The majority of women who get pregnant again will not develop preeclampsia, and all of them will tell you that they attribute their healthy pregnancy to thing X that they did -- where X could be a change of diet, a change of exercise, a change of stress levels, a change of partner... a change of clothes... sacrificing a goat...turning around three times before laying down...

So the PF tries to stick to the science that shows an effect because using the therapy lowers the rate of recurrence from the average rate.

Until there's an evidence-based reason to support acupuncture, it's a leap of faith to use it. This is fine, of course, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone the steps they need to take to feel safe in a subsequent pregnancy.

The link in my .sig to "recent studies and articles" will go to a page listing a bunch of research into preventative therapies and underlying disorders. Here's a thread discussing the effect of weight loss: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40644

The critical takeaway from that study is that so far, weight loss prior to conception of a subsequent pregnancy is far better at lowering risk than a low-dose baby aspirin. And the only thing that has ever shown benefit over the long haul (a benefit shows up in the majority of studies and withstood a large expensive multi-center trial) is a baby aspirin. So if weight loss holds up over the long haul, it will be more useful than anything else in the arsenal -- and it still only lowers risk from 14.8% to 12.8% for the whole population of women with a history of preeclampsia in a subsequent pregnancy.

That reduction in risk is very much worth having -- but it's not a cure.
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

lizard

Postby lizard » Thu Dec 16, 2010 06:14 pm

I have been getting acupuncture since I got pregnant this time and am a true believer in the health of mind and body and it all being connected. Acupunture is AMAZING and if you talk to someone who studies chinese medicine,they will tell you there are things they can do to keep your body and organs toned and healthy. They don't use the term "preeclampsia" and focus on the kidneys and liver etc. I say it can't hurt and give it a shot. I have been PE free so far and am 31 weeks and going strong and attribute part of my success to acupunture. I go every 3 weeks and enjoy every minute i am there...good luck!

cranberries

Postby cranberries » Wed Dec 15, 2010 02:44 pm

Caryn - what is the effect of the weight loss? I read 2.8% somewhere but cannot quote a source (didn't save it). What are your thoughts? Thanks.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 06:44 am

At the moment, the only things with credible support are pre-pregnancy weight loss and a daily baby aspirin. The effect of both is fairly small, with aspirin's effect being smaller than weight loss. Both might affect the biochemical environment the blastocyst finds at implantation. Vitamin D supplementation in the deficient and exercise are still being investigated and might plausibly have similar impact.

ktsl123

Accupuncture

Postby ktsl123 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 pm

So I am getting prepared to start TTC in 5 months and just looking into things for my 2nd pregnancy. I was induced with my son at 35 weeks and 2 days with severe Preeclampsia and he was born healthy with no NICU time. I will do anything and everything I possibly can to improve my chances even by a little. So anyone know if accupuncture helpful??
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

Return to “Ask the Experienced”