Why must Decisons be so hard to make......

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
glimmer

Re: Why must Decisons be so hard to make......

Postby glimmer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 03:23 pm

Hi Alissa,
do you have to decide now? It seems that you are still very young and can decide over the next years, maybe when the little ones you have are in school? I consider getting an IUD which is very safe, but reversable. My husband doesn't want any children, but I am not ready to do something irreversable. Having said that, it's really everybody's own decision to make.
Good luck!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 07:36 am

I definitely would have tried again in the case of a loss. I know that because I had a miscarriage in my pregnancy before my son and it made me very determined to have a child. I guess the loss made it all so realistic and it suddenly became very important to me to have a baby. That said if we would have had multiple losses or other issues I would have given up and decided it wasn't meant to be.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 07:08 am

Jean, I really don't know. The experience of losing a child to this disease is so very different from the experience of a case where everyone walks away that I can't pretend to be in those shoes.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 07:16 pm

It was not an easy decision for us to try having a 2nd. Then we had 2 miscarriages- one in 2nd trimester. After that I was even more unsure. Even though our 1st was healthy and a 34 1/2 weeker, I still feared it. Honestly, I think it would have been easier for me to decide to have one if we had lost the 1st because I wanted to be a mom. Having a healthy child made it difficult for me to choose because I did not want to my health at risk for the sake of having another baby. I was worried that something would happen to me and my daughter would be affected by that. And I was worried that if I had a live birth for 2nd about whether the 2nd baby would have lingering health issues that would affect my daughter's life.

With that being said- I will be 36 weeks with this pregnancy on Tuesday. I decided when I found out I was pregnant this time that it would be our last try no matter what the outcome. I didn't think emotionally or physcially I could handle another pregnancy if I lost this one and if we were successful, I was not willing to put myself at risk for another pregnancy. So this time around, I have tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible- with a lot of worry of course. But I am happy we have this shot.
Mom to Olivia 4/4/2008 born at 34 1/2 weeks due to class I HELLP
Declan born 1/4/2011- no HELLP or PE- YEAH

jean

Postby jean » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:51 am

Alexa and Caryn...if your little one hadn't made it, would you have tried a second time?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 07:16 am

The fact that part of you wants another child is a good sign. I have decided that I really feel comfortable with one, for many reasons. I don't really yearn for another infant or having more children, but I like the one I have :-)

I am not sure how bad your pre-e was, but if it were me personally and I wanted another child, I wouldn't not have one because of pre-e. In my case it really wasn't too bad...it came fairly suddenly at 33 weeks, so my best guess is that I would get it again, but hopefully after 33 weeks if I were to be pregnant again. That said what I worry about is that I came out of this pregnancy okay once my pressures settled, and I would worry that another pregnancy would bring health concerns that might stick around the next time around.

It really is a hard decision...both to decide if you want another and if you want another with the risk of pre-e....good luck!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 08, 2010 04:43 pm

I am really no help whatsoever on this one. :) Oscar's eight and I never did make the leap to have another. Not because I don't really like babies and children and raising children, but because I really, really never came to terms with deciding to run the sorts of risks a subsequent pregnancy presents for someone else. I knew *I'd* be fine -- and my 34 weeker is perfectly fine -- but that's not a great way to figure out how things would go next time, and absent a crystal ball I find that I balk at a subsequent pregnancy.

But that's me, and other people make other decisions that they are comfortable making. And the vast majority of our posters have subsequent pregnancies and very healthy babies. :D Good luck thinking about this!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mommy2maddie

Why must Decisons be so hard to make......

Postby mommy2maddie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 09:04 am

:? I do not know what to do......to have another baby or not. My husband does not particularly want another child but if I want one then he will be okay with that, he wants to get a vasectomy either now or after I have another baby. Our house is small, we have 3 bedrooms so baby would be sharing a small room with a sibling, which we could do if we had to. It is like on one end I cannot imagine never being pregnant again, but then I cannot imagine having to go through PE with two children at home. I cannot imagine never rocking a little baby again, but then I cannot imagine rocking a little baby for hours hoping he or she will fall asleep. I am so torn! Advice much needed!!!
Alissa 23
DH Richard 25
DD Madison Rene 6/2008 29 weeks 4 days 2lbs. 7oz. 45 days NICU Severe PE
DS RJ 10/2009 35 weeks 5lbs. 13oz. 5 days NICU PPROM
Baby #3 Due July 2, 2012

Return to “Ask the Experienced”