24 1/2 Weeks - On Bed Rest

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelc

Re: 24 1/2 Weeks - On Bed Rest

Postby rachelc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 09:37 pm

It sounds to me like the two biggest concerns would be your blood pressure and the growth of the baby. If your baby is in the 4th percentile then that would mean that there is intra-uterine growth restriction (IUGR). IUGR can affect the development of the baby and can be very concerning. Usually the decision to deliver is a combination of factors that take into account the health of mother and baby. Let us know how everything goes tomorrow.

jthompson

Postby jthompson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 09:23 pm

Thanks to both of you for your support :) I am scheduled to get some blood tests and an ultrasound tomorrow to check for growth. My last ultrasound my little boy was only 4% the size he should be. At that time they thought that was due to my thyroid rather than high blood pressure. (I have no thyroid due to an autoimmune disease and my levels have been pretty off as well).

I'll keep you posted on what I find out - thanks again!

Jennie

susheli

Postby susheli » Mon Dec 06, 2010 09:15 pm

Dear Jennie,
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wanted to share my story to give you some hope. I was pregnant with my first at 28 also and had elevated pressures very early. At 22 weeks I had pressures of 150/100 and by 24 week diagnostic protein. I was put on bed rest and then hospital bed rest for what turned out to become 7 long weeks. I needed 3 different kinds of medications to keep my pressures under control and my protein went up to 7g (7000mg) before they delivered at 34 weeks exactly. I don't necessarily recommend going so far, but there are options and my daughter is now a healthy and strong 6-year-old.
I remember that during one of my very first appointments my doctor mentioned that the only cure to PE is delivery. I think I was 24 weeks at the time and utterly terrified. I thought they were saying: you're going to be delivering your baby NOW. As long as your body can hold out, doctors try to give your baby as much time inside as possible. It's true that I held out unusually long, but there are other ladies here who have gone weeks on hospital bed rest.
Have you had bloods taken?
Sending you hugs and courage, please keep us updated,
Susannah

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 08:57 pm

Ask away! Thats why we are all here. My guess would be 300 in your urine as well as other symptoms including elevated pressures despite meds is why they would be looking at delivery. Bed rest has worked for many users on this site. I would ask the doctors if strict bed rest and or hospital bed rest would be a option first before delivery?

Keep us posted!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

jthompson

Postby jthompson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 08:49 pm

I should also mention that due to today's visit they've increased my blood pressure medication and I'm in the process of a 3rd 24 hour catch.

Jennie

jthompson

24 1/2 Weeks - On Bed Rest

Postby jthompson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 08:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jennie and I 24 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first child. I've had chronic hypertension for a few years despite being only 28 and they did my first 24 hour catch at 19 weeks when my blood pressure was consistently 130/90 and it came back at 141. At 23 weeks I hit 145/95 and my 24 hour was 200. They've since put me on blood pressure medication which has yet to provide much of a solution. This morning my blood pressure was 160/100 for a while and I started experiencing blurry vision which prompted my doctor to put me on a relaxed bed rest (I can sit and work from home). Earlier last week I asked my doctor what happens if and when my protein hits 300 and her response was "we look into delivering the baby". I think this is the bit of information I'm confused about. Everything I read states that at 300 they start monitoring closer and at that point, maybe then I'd be on bed rest. Is it the blood pressure + the other side effects what makes them choose to deliver if I hit 300? My other question is, do I have the ability to 'convince' them to let me wait a few more weeks? I'd like to at least wait until 30 weeks if possible.

*Sigh* sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to keep myself educated so I understand my options.

Thanks,
Jennie

Return to “Ask the Experienced”