24 1/2 Weeks - On Bed Rest

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
l412angel

Re: 24 1/2 Weeks - On Bed Rest

Postby l412angel » Wed Dec 29, 638951 4:35 am

Jennie, some other symptoms that may warrant delivery are BP's that do not go down when you are maxed on Meds as well as visual disturbances, but its hard to say every doctor is different. How far along are you now? Glad your being looked after closely!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Dec 29, 638951 2:45 am

Yep! That sounds like he's growing relatively well! That's definitely very good news!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jthompson

Postby jthompson » Wed Dec 29, 638951 1:50 am

Hi All,

Regarding size, this last ultrasound he was 1lb 4 oz. Apparently the average is 1lb 8oz. So he's about 4 oz underweight. I'm not sure what percentile that puts him in but it sounds a bit better than the 4th percentile like my ultrasound at 20 weeks.

I have another appointment this coming Tuesday so hopefully that will give me more information.

Thanks,
Jennie

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Tue Dec 28, 638951 3:06 pm

With my second pregnancy, I was watched very closely because I had severe pre-e in my first pregnancy and delivered at 32 weeks.

My blood pressure is low normal usually, and in my second trimester, it was averaging 90/50. It started going up at around 28 weeks, and I had a severe headache and visual disturbances, plus right around 300mg of protein. My BPs were around 140/80-90, and I was put on Labetalol. As it kept rising over the next few weeks, I was given larger doses, went in and out of the hospital, but didn't deliver until my BPs became uncontrollable around 180-190/100, on meds, mag. sulfate, and hospital bedrest at 34 weeks.

That said, my baby was tolerating the elevated pressures fine, was growing ok as far as we could tell (though was born slightly growth restricted and over a pound smaller than the u/s indicated), and my labs were ok.

24 weeks is so early that I would think that mild protein would not be an indicator for delivery, but it does sound like you should have very close monitoring considering the baby's size.

Good luck - please keep us posted!

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Tue Dec 28, 638951 2:40 pm

There are still potential reasons to deliver even without hitting the protein mark. If your bp gets too high and can't be controlled that could be a potential reason. Your bp would probably have to be extremely high for that to be a stand alone reason to deliver. There is also still potential that the baby could become distressed due to the high bp alone. Also, it is possible to develop HELLP Syndrome which involves your liver and platelets without having significant proteinuria. In other words, it is still important to stay vigilant but, it seems that right now things are stable which is definitely a good thing.

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Dec 18, 638951 9:43 am

I'm glad you are hanging in there so far. How was your baby's growth?

I think that that is almost more concerning than anything else, there's a very fine line between trying to give them enough time to develop inside you, and getting them out before it's too late. Growth restriction is generally caused by reduced blood flow, so there are many cases where the baby is better off on the outside where they actually may have a chance vs. inside you when things aren't going well and can get worse extremely quickly.

Blood pressure that can't be controlled, HELLP symptoms (specifically your liver enzymes rising or platelets dropping), and severe growth restriction are all reasons why they deliver early. Not so much the protein.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jthompson

Postby jthompson » Sat Dec 18, 638951 1:32 am

Hi All,

Just an update, this last 24 hour catch was a little bit better, went down to 180. I did the catch after they doubled my blood pressure meds and put me on bed rest so I'm hoping that means I can stay off delivery for a while longer. I'm still having jumps in my pressure up to 150/95ish so they're keeping me on bed rest for the time being. They didn't go into details but they did some other related blood tests and they said they look okay (whatever that means - I didn't ask for details).

I'm taking this as good news for now. One question though, would there be any reason why they would deliver the baby even before I hit 300 protein? I'm hoping not so I can keep on being optimistic :).

Thanks all, I'll update you again soon.

Jennie

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 06, 638951 1:25 am

Jennie, welcome to the forums, though I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

Proteinuria isn't a hard delivery marker, but a reading of 160/100 on meds is severe gestational hypertension. Once you hit 300 mg, you'll be a severe preeclampsia patient -- and severe patients are usually monitored on a day-to-day basis in a tertiary care center and delivered at the drop of a hat. Have you had the steroid shots to develop the lungs further?

Please keep us posted as you're able. One of the awful things about this disease is that there really aren't a whole lot of options.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Wed Nov 24, 638951 7:14 pm

Hi agree with Rachel. The decision to deliver is dependent on numerous factors. The BP and the protein, while at low levels, still puts you in the severe category as you have having symptoms prior to 32 weeks' gestation. Even so, many of the women on the site have shared that their pressures and proteins were able to hold stead for some time and delivered closer to term. That said, the 4th percentile is really quite concerning for the health of the baby. That is definitely something that has to be monitored and considered. In cases of IUGR, as Rachel mentioned, the baby is not getting much nutrients at all which may be why he is not growing.

If you don't have one already, please consult with an MFM (Maternal-Fetal Medicine) who can better assess the situation. Also, please purchase a home BP monitor. Preeclampsia can develop very quickly. I went from feeling fine but having high pressures and proteins slightly above 300, to having to deliver within hours where I suddenly developed HELLP on top of PE. Had they not delivered my son, I too would have died.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

johnsonja83

Postby johnsonja83 » Sat Nov 13, 638951 12:09 pm

I was put on bed rest at 23 weeks, officially diagnosed with pre-e at 27 and still doing good at 32 weeks. I cant do any thing but the baby is still growing just fine. Im nearing 10 brutal weeks of this bed rest crap!!! LOL For some, like me it does work at keeping your #'s good any your baby cooking for a bit longer. Just starting to get really sick and tired of doing noting all day long!! I just want to clean like a fat kid wants cake!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”