Low Amniotic fluid help ASAP please

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laura

Re: Low Amniotic fluid help ASAP please

Postby laura » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:03 am

Oh nuts- it's been almost a week since you last posted, I hope you're safe with babe. I've definitely been there, and have two great kids who's greatest challenge now is their parentage. Please update when you can.
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

korie

Postby korie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 02:23 pm

Thanks. I am going in at 10 am tomorrow to get another check at the hospital. She didn't want me to go all the way until Tuesday to see me again. I hope I get one more week but I am nervous. I wouldn't want to push it if there is any risk to the baby because I know she can be born and be just fine now. I am trying not to think about it as much as I can because I truely do not feel I am capable of handling another baby in the NICU, my last two were both there. I have not let myself get my hopes up this pregnancy, but I am not sure that will make it much easier if I have to go through this again only this time with a 4 year old and 2 year old both and living an hour and a half from the nearest NICU. If I can make it one more week there is a chance she could stay in the closer hospital which would make life much less complicated. Has anyone else felt like this? I know I won't have a choice about any of this and hoping staying as disconnected to the entire situation as possible will make me able to cope, which in turn makes me feel like a terrible mom. :(

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:24 am

Korie, one of our moderators just delivered early for this yesterday. One of our site administrators had this with both of her subsequent pregnancies and both her babies are fine. It probably has some connection to preeclampsia via the "placental insufficiency" route. And it's scary, no question.

I'd put serious time in on the couch doing kick counts and making sure everything seems good in there, and holler at the doc with any questions at all. Juice is supposed to get them moving if they're quiet, FWIW.

Keep us posted.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Sat Dec 04, 2010 00:41 am

I bet if the docs felt the amniotic fluid and the cord blood flow were low enough to harm the baby they would have delivered you- baby is developed enough to make it at this point. I was told this too and delivered within a week. Good luck to you and baby!
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed

korie

Low Amniotic fluid help ASAP please

Postby korie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi all. I am having a new problem, like I need more besides my HB issues. I was in for my NST today and failed. Went down for a BPP and they said my amniotic fluid was at a 5. My doctor said that if it were any lower she would deliver me now. I am 33 1/2 weeks as of today. She also said something about the cord blood flow at 3. ? but I am not sure what that even means. I know 5 is low for the amniotic fluid because at one appt the tech said it has to be between 9 and 20. She sent me home on strict bed rest and I am going to the hospital sunday to get checked again. I am so worried. I have always feared this because I know that lack of cord blood flow or low amniotic fluid can cause permanent damage to the baby. I have been getting BPPs twice weekly, my last one was tuesday, and this was never mentioned before. At one point I know I had 10. I am scared about waiting until Sunday but I am hoping my doctor would not have sent me home this far along if she suspected there would be an issue. Anyone else ever deal with this and have any words of wisdom or can share their story? I know so little about this and feel like every time I hear a story about this it is bad for baby. :(

Return to “Ask the Experienced”