Procardia Users- Past and Present

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re: Procardia Users- Past and Present

Postby brandib » Sat Dec 04, 2010 08:51 am

LIttle late on this cuz this new site hasn't worked for me yet! lol, but I was on Procardia and aside from Preeclampsia, it gave me the worst headaches I've ever had! None of my other bp meds did that to me. I've been on Lebetalol, Norvasc, Propranolol, Hctz, and Procardia. I couldn't get it with my doctor for over a week, but quit taking the Procardia because I couldn't handle the headaches. I was switched back to Propranolol only doubled again and Hctz.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Thu Dec 02, 2010 08:18 pm

Thanks for checking this one out for me! My OB gave me a script for Lortab and told me to try it again. It did not work 2 weeks ago but he said to try it again. I took 2 a bedtime that night and have been headache free, for the most part, since then. It was wierd but hey, I'll take it. I was on the immediate release at first and then switched to the extended release. I didn't notice much difference in the 2 because my headache never went away. I am glad that after about 2-3 weeks of a headache, it is finally gone!
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

jend01

Postby jend01 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13 am

I am a pharmacy tech and I just talked to my RPh. She said yes, that is very common in procardia, especially if it was the immediate release tabs. What it does is dialates your blood vessels to allow more bloodflow to lower your bp. The extended release does the same thing but over a longer period of time so you may or may not get a headache and severity wouldn't be as bad. After talking with her I think it would be safe to say that the medication would definitely "change" the feeling of the headache because of the dialating blood vessels.

I know I am a bit late, but hope this helps. Please post with any updates that your doc may have given you. :)
DS July 8th 2008 36+weeks
-No signs, no symptoms, Severe PE led to HELLP and eclampsia. My wonderful doctors saved my life based on a large weight gain between appointments!
-chronic hypertensive and PTSD, doing well on meds :)
07/11 - TTC :)

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 08:46 am

When I was admitted last week with elevated pressures I had a headache that just wouldn't budge. I was given tylenol and then Lortab but nothing touched it. I was started on Procardia at that same time. After starting the Procardia the headache didn't go away but kind of changed. It went from a stabbing type pain in the right front/top of my head to a pounding sensation with every heartbeat all over my head and sometimes a stabbing pain in the back right side. So my question is- did Procardia cause you a headache that just would not let up and would not go away? I know headache is listed as a side effect but I thought even if it was the medicine it wouldn't keep on for a week. I have a Dr. appointment in the morning so hopefully I'll get some answers there but I was just wondering about others' experiences.
I started procardia 4 days PP in the ER but I already had the headache that the morphine shots they were giving me didn't touch. I had that headache for months - gradually lessening. So it's hard for me to say if the procardia had anything to do with it. (((HUGS)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 pm

I was given procardia after delivery and developed a very bad headache from it that wouldn't budge.
It was pretty concerning at the time because of post-delivery pre-eclampsia. The headache lasted for maybe 8 days or so.
Then it went away. Good luck!

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Wed Nov 24, 2010 01:12 pm

I've been on procardia off and on since 2007. When I start it I usually get a headache the first two days or so...after that it goes away.
-Elissa, January 2007: stillborn at 25 weeks, severe PE, IUGR, reverse-end diastolic flow
- Chronic hypertension as of November 2007
-missed miscarriage Feb 2009
- Ismael Jaden, June 2010, 36 wks, oligohydramnios & rising BP's, my wonderful little man & the love of my life
- Janelle, September 2011, 24wks, 3days. complete placental abruption & DIC, stillborn

RogueFemale

Postby RogueFemale » Mon Nov 22, 2010 09:29 am

I've been on Procardia for a couple of weeks now, but I haven't had any headaches. Sorry you're going through this!

jamie w

Procardia Users- Past and Present

Postby jamie w » Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:25 pm

When I was admitted last week with elevated pressures I had a headache that just wouldn't budge. I was given tylenol and then Lortab but nothing touched it. I was started on Procardia at that same time. After starting the Procardia the headache didn't go away but kind of changed. It went from a stabbing type pain in the right front/top of my head to a pounding sensation with every heartbeat all over my head and sometimes a stabbing pain in the back right side. So my question is- did Procardia cause you a headache that just would not let up and would not go away? I know headache is listed as a side effect but I thought even if it was the medicine it wouldn't keep on for a week. I have a Dr. appointment in the morning so hopefully I'll get some answers there but I was just wondering about others' experiences.
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

Return to “Ask the Experienced”