Hello! Intro and looking for support, info

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
faitaccompli

Re: Hello! Intro and looking for support, info

Postby faitaccompli » Sat Mar 15, 638949 10:03 am

Hello, thought I should post an update since it has been a couple of weeks :)

I am not yet on BP meds. When I do my Bp with an electronic machine at home I get about 130/95, which would be good to medicate. With an electronic machine at the hospital they get the same kind of numbers. At the hospital manually the get more like 124/80, which is fine. So... I am now taking my BP manually at home, with a machine that looks kind of like the one pictured here:

http://well.ca/products/amg-self-taking ... _9859.html

And I am getting numbers like 124/78, which is not bad, and which is a relief!

So, no BP meds for me yet! And I am hoping my numbers stay at this level, which is so reassuring.

I wonder if anyone else has problems with their BP artificially looking higher on the electronic machines? I used to joke with my nurses that with my history my BP was lower at the hospital because I felt reassured that I was being looked after, the opposite of 'normal' people whose bp goes up at the hospital because they worry about being sick ;). But now that I am getting nicer readings at home I really think it's just about the electronic that really artificially elevates my numbers, particularly the diastolic.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon Dec 02, 638948 12:09 am

Hi there. I am glad to see you are seeing a high risk OBGYN. My peri has me on bp meds as I have unresolved high bp unmasked by my previous bouts with PE. My meds are keeping my bps under control as I was developing scary spikes around the beginning of this pregnancy. Have you discussed the possiblity of BP meds with your doctor? I know that some pracitces can be more conservative than others and choose not to medicate if they can help it, so I was just curious?
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

RogueFemale

Postby RogueFemale » Sun Dec 01, 638948 4:00 am

I know my blood pressures have started going up earlier in each pregnancy (I'm on #4, which will DEFINITELY be my last). And I do know that bedrest isn't universally proclaimed, but I personally will sing its praises. It definitely helped me each time. For this pregnancy it started in week 26 due both to rising pressures and to other complications. So it's a long stretch of time to face, but I want to know I have done absolutely everything I can to help bring a healthy baby into the world.

faitaccompli

Postby faitaccompli » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:49 am

Hi there, thanks for the message. I have had only one day with a BP spike so far (went up to 140/105) and that day I was able to bring it back down to 120/90 by literally lying on the sofa and not doing much. Also in my last pregnancy I was diagnosed with preeclampsia a month before I delivered and was able to stretch out that time because I really took it easy - even just walking up the stairs it would elevate and stay elevated for a while after. So I know, for me, rest really helps - but it is hard to envision bedrest starting from the beginning of the 2nd trimester! But I do think getting away from the stressful work is going to be a necessity.

Thanks for responding, and I certainly hope that your three pregnancies resolved ok.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat Oct 26, 638948 2:39 pm

Welcome to the forum! You are considered to have chronic hypertension if your develop high blood pressure before 20 weeks. My understanding is that the placenta is not fully developed before 20 weeks and the interaction between the placenta and the mother is thought to be a major factor in the development of high bp related to pe. Because the placenta is not developed enough at 13 weeks the placenta cannot be the cause of the high bp therefore, you are considered to have chronic hypertension. This does not necessarily mean that you have high bp outside of pregnancy. What it does mean is that you are predisposed to having chronic hypertension and it is manifesting during your pregnancy. Does that make sense?

PE is diagnosed at or after 20 weeks. It can become serious at any point. I had severe pe as early as 22 weeks in my last pregnancy. It usually doesn't manifest until the 3rd trimester but, as I stated it can happen before then. I did have the high bp start earlier with each pregnancy. With the first one I was 30 weeks when my bp started to elevate. My second, I was 17 weeks. My third, I was 13 weeks.

Bedrest is controversial around here. There is not a lot of evidence that shows that it prolongs your pregnancy or lessens the effects of pe but, there are some of us around here, me included, that feel we benefited from bedrest. It may be beneficial for you to get away from the stressful job but, you may not have to go on strict bedrest.

My best advice to you is to be aware of the signs and symptoms of pe. Make sure that you and your doctor plan for your care. How high is too high for your bp? Will your doctor put you on bp medication? At what point would you need to do a 24 hour urine and bloodwork to check for pe? How will the baby be monitored?

Please keep us posted!

faitaccompli

Hello! Intro and looking for support, info

Postby faitaccompli » Sat Oct 26, 638948 11:52 am

Hello! I put an intro post right before the upgrade that got lost, so hopefully this post makes it through!

I am currently 13w4d into my second pregnancy. In my first pregnancy I experienced severe preeclampsia and was hospitalized from about 30 weeks and induced at 34 weeks. My daughter spent 2 weeks in the NICU but ultimately was fine (and is now a rambunctious 2 year old!).

In my previous pregnancy I was monitored by a midwife who sadly missed the preeclampsia in the beginning, but it was eventually caught by an OBGYN in a consult. This pregnancy I am being followed by a high risk OBGYN, and the follow-up has been intense!

Now on to my questions. In my last pregnancy my BP was fine up until about the 20-25 week point when it started to sneak up, and got to the borderline 130/90 point at around 30 weeks. In this pregnancy my bp is already hovering around 125/85 with the occasional 135/100 reading. It's a little scary. I am taking low-dose aspirin once a day and trying to take it easy (no problem since I am exhausted and nauseated almost all the time!) but I'm seeing the BP creep up slowly and I'm terrified about what is happening.

I would love any thoughts of preventative things I can do. I am still working and my work is stressful so I intend to talk about going on early leave with my OBGYN at my next apt (next Mon). I don't really want to do bedrest this early but if it helps keep the BP down I will do whatever I can. Any advice would be appreciated.

I also have been trying to find info about how early pre-e can become serious. My doctors are thinking I have chronic hypertension but this does not make sense to me since my family doctor always checks my BP and when I'm not pregnant it has ALWAYS been fine. I am trying to stay chilled out and relaxed but I am terrified of developing preeclampsia super early and having to deliver so early that this baby who is VERY wanted will not even have a chance.

So, yeah, any thoughts for me would be much appreciated!!! Thank-you!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”