New Here! Concerns and questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
RogueFemale

Re: New Here! Concerns and questions

Postby RogueFemale » Sat Oct 26, 638948 6:19 am

Woops, looks like my post didn't show up--sorry if I'm duplicating. Thank you both so much for your responses! I have my next OB appointment on Friday, and I'll find out about the 24-hour urine test then. I think I will also mention the other things as well. My OB is actually quite good, and I think it's MY OWN fear of being "pesky" that is the problem here, more than anything!

p+h

Postby p+h » Tue Oct 15, 638948 6:25 am

i agree! i'm glad you're OB isn't constantly freaking out, but you are your own advocate, and if you feel uncomfortable with what is going on, and have a "story" complete with other symptoms, you should feel confident to ask for more testing.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Mon Oct 14, 638948 10:05 pm

I think that you have every right to be concerned about your health and the health of your baby. i understand too what your doc is getting at with the bp. A lot of docs will let women with chronic hypertension run a little higher than non-hypertensive women. But, you are experiencing other symptoms beyond that (nausea and dizziness) that should be considered too. I think that it would be completely reasonable to ask for a 24 hour urine, bloodwork and even an ultrasound on the baby to be sure that everything is ok. The fact that you have had 3 hypertensive pregnancies before this (including the one confirmed pe) puts you at pretty high risk of having pe again. Please don't feel like you are "that" patient. You are truly not being unreasonable in your concerns.

RogueFemale

New Here! Concerns and questions

Postby RogueFemale » Mon Oct 14, 638948 1:45 pm

Greetings. This is actually my second post, but I think my first introduction got "eaten up" during the website change last month.

I am 28 weeks into my 4th pregnancy, at age 41. I had PIH (I guess now it's called gestational hypertension?) with all three previous, and confirmed PE with one. The last pregnancy 3 years ago culminated in a severe placental abruption that, SO fortunately, my son and I both survived without lasting effect.

This pregnancy is turning out to be quite strange, and I don't know what to think of it at this point. My OB basically told me that she can pretty much guarantee BP problems once again (I came into it with what is now chronic hypertension and have been on Aldomet for the duration). But what has caused the most trouble so far is actually placenta previa. I'm on quite restrictive bedrest already because of pronounced bleeding and pre-term contractions, so I am hoping that will actually help keep my blood pressures in check. Is that wishful thinking?

I'm coming here because I'm actually starting to get a little concerned about the "other" shoe (the PE shoe) dropping in this pregnancy as well at some point soon. My OB seems really pleased with my pressures so far, but I'm not sure I am as comfortable as she is. Earlier in the pregnancy (again, with Aldomet), my pressures were pretty consistently 125/75, and now they are in the mid 130s/mid-high 80s, with spikes as high as 155/120 (but that did resolve pretty quickly--more frequently the "problem" pressures are diastolics that go into the low 90s, and that's while I am on bedrest). My doctor doesn't seem concerned that I am pretty consistently now recording diastolic pressures in the 90s since she says I run pretty high normally. I get what she means, but I just don't know. My pressure was only 140s/90s when I had my placental abruption in 2007, and while I know it's not a one-on-one correlation, I did feel at the time that people weren't taking my increased blood pressure very seriously (I was at 36 weeks when that happened). I haven't had a 24-hour urine, because again my OB doesn't seem to feel there's any sort of problem yet.

I don't want to over-react, because I don't want to be "that kind" of person, and I know so many other women here have had SUCH severe issues with PE, while I haven't. But I find myself worrying about things like my nausea, which is coming back, and my dizziness (which could after all just be because I"m so sedentary now). If I WORRY about this happening, am I actually going to make it worse? And am I correct in thinking that a pronounced increase in blood pressure would be the first thing that would show up?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”