Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cosmogirl4056

Re : Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 09:40 pm

my first was born 6 weeks early and was under the light and his levels went down then the nurse came out 3 days later and his levels had gone back up...so i had to get the blanket for him and i too was up every hour giving him whatever he would eat....it was HARD....but i did it. i was able to give him breastmilk, but my cousin who was born at like 38 weeks...just a couple weeks after i had my, had to be readmitted to the hospital and my aunt was not allowed to give breastmilk until his levels came down...his levels were like 23 i think...they were really high.......she did pump to get her supply in and that was fine but he had to have formula

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Thu Oct 07, 2010 05:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by KellyO19

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=17

The above link is from Dr Jack Newman, a breastfeeding expert, on jaundice and nursing.

Kellymom.com (no relation to me) is also an excellent resource for nursing and problems with nursing.

I hope you're able to pump and keep your supply coming in, as you're in the early stages for getting milk established. Sorry you're going thru this and hope Aidyn's time in the hospital is short!

I completely agree with this.

There shouldn't be any reason to not give breastmilk while on phototherapy. Both of my preemies had jaundice and were never given anything but breastmilk. It works naturally to clear out the jaundice.

Hang in there, one hour at a time. This WILL get easier. Aidyn will be home soon, your BP will be lower, and life will be a new normal before too long. I know it sucks, but it will get better!

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 04:20 pm

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=17

The above link is from Dr Jack Newman, a breastfeeding expert, on jaundice and nursing.

Kellymom.com (no relation to me) is also an excellent resource for nursing and problems with nursing.

I hope you're able to pump and keep your supply coming in, as you're in the early stages for getting milk established. Sorry you're going thru this and hope Aidyn's time in the hospital is short!

korie

Postby korie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 04:15 pm

I am sure it is difficult having him home and then have to go back. You have been under a lot of stress and this doesn't help matters. I know with my second, I had no clue that she would be in the NICU because she was 36 weeks and it was much harder on me than it was with my first (born much earlier) because I had no warning. Sorry, it will be over soon and you will have your baby home. This is a common issue and hopefully will clear up very quickly.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 03:07 pm

(((HUGS))) I totally understand!! My 3rd was born right at 36 weeks & had to stay an extra day under the bili lights. She was on them for about 36 hours & then her levels were better so they let us take her home late one afternoon. That night I was back in the ER (all night) with super high BP's & a headache IV morphine barely took the edge off. One more shot of morphine & they sent me home with more BP meds - UGH!

Anyway we were released at 7 am & had an 8:30 appt to have her bili levels checked. I stayed home & DH took her. Her levels were 19.3 and anything over 19 they want to readmit for photo therapy (she was 4 days old & 5 lbs even) I begged them to let her stay home & get a bili bed (while in hindsight we should have just let her be readmitted). I wasn't rational at the time!! I just wanted my baby home!!

It was New Year's Eve & the bed was supposed to be delivered by noon. At 7 pm I was frantic but it was finally delivered (after many calls back & forth). But, we had to make her eat 30 cc's every 2 hours & she could only be out of the bili bed for 10 min every 2 hours. Talk about pressure! And we had to do this every 2 hours for 2 days. This is why I say we should have just let her be readmitted - it was so hard & so stressful.

So, as hard as it is - being thee is probably the best place for him right now. He will get great care & will be home in another day or two I bet. (((HUGS))) Hang in there!!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Oct 07, 2010 02:11 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. But I'm glad his levels are getting better already! Try not to get discouraged. You can still go back to nursing, too. Try to rest in the fact that he is safe and being watched in the hospital. I'm still praying for you and him!

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:23 am

at least he is where they can monitor him more regularly and make sure he is ok. Lots of babies ave issues with bili levels- so keep smiling and try not to worry too much. Hopefully this will help and he'll be able to go home with you soon. Keep smiling

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 09:27 am

So sorry to hear this, it's all so tough to go through. My daughter had trouble with jaundice too. She had to get her blood levels checked all the time. After a week or so they went back to normal. Your little family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope those BP meds kick in soon, I know the last thing you want to be worried about is your health too. Hugs!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 09:15 am

I am sorry...that is hard! I guess that is one advantage for those of us that had NICU babies, if you can call it that-- since the baby never came home right away it was easier to catch and treat things like bili levels. I know my son was under the lights for a week or so, and I guess I didn't notice or know much about his levels because it was just part of his overall care there.

I hope Aidyn gets better and soon! Hugs!

momof4as

Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

Postby momof4as » Thu Oct 07, 2010 06:00 am

Hi everyone. Baby Aidyn was admitted back into the hospital with a critical Bili level. They were talking exchange transfusion but his levels have come down with photo therapy so that idea is on hold for now.

They made me stop nursing him, and are giving him formula to help bind the biliruben.

I am not a nurse in this. I was hysterically crying earlier over this. First PE with everything else and then early delivery and now a very very sick little angel who I was told was healthy. I am overwhelmed and scared.

My pressures are still up 165/110 so I am now on BP meds. I dont know how much more I can take of this all...

Return to “Ask the Experienced”