Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
momof4as

Re : Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

Postby momof4as » Sun Oct 10, 2010 08:34 am

I want you all to know how much your support has helped through this. When I was in Nursing School I did a project on PE care of the mom and neonate. I never once thought I'd be living it, and now I see just how much we (the team assigned to this project) missed in the education of what happens. We missed out completely on the emotional aspect of PE, and focused more on the medical complications during pregnancy and with the premature neonate, We didn't cover after baby affects on mom at all, or the stress caused to the neonate. It was just this happened mom and baby were treated and went home and lived happily ever after. PE is so not that easy.

I really didn't know that PE could turn into PPPE, We were always taught that PE resolved after delivery and the effects were pretty quick. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO not true! I am still fighting climbing BP's Throbbing headaches ankles that look like grapefruits and the PE Twitches and spasms in my legs.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I am so focused on my little angel that I try to ignore how I feel but last night it overwhelmed me and I almost went to the ED but didn't want to leave my baby.

How do you make it through all this????

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 07:40 pm

Glad to hear he's home and doing better! One position that my son nursed well in is the football hold, laying on pillows under my arm. When he was in the cradle hold, tummy to tummy, I kept him warm and snuggly and he'd fall asleep before he finished eating. For the longer nursings when he was wide awake, we'd do side-lying nursing on the bed, that's still his favorite nursing position at 13 mos. Hang in there, these early days are rough but soon you'll be feeling more human again and he'll be a nursing champ!

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Sat Oct 09, 2010 03:00 pm

Just an update. Aidyn'sw level came down to 11.5 so they let me resume nursing. They sent us home with a Bilibed which he is doing well with. Today we did a redraw and it was 11.4, yesterday we had a really hard time with nursing. His reg. Pedi said to top off feedings with a 50/50 mix of formula and BM. So thats what we are doing now. My sister helped me nurse a little bit ago and he nursed very well with his Auntie rubbing is little feet the whole time.

I have to say I was reluctant to bring him home in fear that He would just end up right back in there. His Pedi acknowleges that this is a possibility due to his prematurity but is optimistic that this was just a hurdle we had to go through considering his gestational age.

We see the Dr again on Monday

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:47 pm

I'm so glad you sound positive and have plan! I'm sure Aidyn will recover soon and it sounds like we all know how much it helps EVERYone recover to be able to have Mama holding (and feeding) Baby. Happy to see his numbers coming down, too!
Keep your head up!

mrss

Postby mrss » Fri Oct 08, 2010 01:58 pm

quote:Originally posted by KellyO19

Is there an IBCLC (board certified lactation consultant) at your hospital? Get them involved in Aidyn's care.

This is a good suggestion. How sad for both you and Aidyn to not be nursing right now. I found during my experiences this past week that how receptive doctors and/or nurses are in encouraging breastfeeding is mostly dependant upon their own biases (or what's easiest for them). When my DD was in the transitional care nursery right after she was born, the nurses wanted to give her formula because her blood sugar level was low. I understood that and wasn't opposed to getting her levels back up (and there was no way I could pump anything because I was still numb and vomiting non-stop from the mag sulfate), but I asked if they could finger feed the formula (a syringe or dropper would also have been okay) instead of using a bottle and I was told, "That's not an option." Obviously, I know it is an option or I wouldn't have suggested it. It turned into a really big ordeal and I agreed to let her have it as long as my husband was the one to feed her (he had gone with her to the nursery). The problems continued the next day, though, when I was back in my room in L&D. I had the LC trying to help me get DD latched properly and a very unsupportive nurse doing her best to undo our work. Thank goodness this was my second child and I had a good idea what it was going to take to make it work. As soon as I knew it was a possibility that DD had jaundice, I told the LC so we could try to work out a plan. Thankfully, she was fine and didn't have it. I hope you and your baby can resume nursing soon and that he can come back home with you.
I hope your DS

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 09:04 am

Is there an IBCLC (board certified lactation consultant) at your hospital? Get them involved in Aidyn's care. I do not know how to do this but there is a way to measure baby before and after breastfeeding to calculate how many oz baby drank at the breast. Maybe La Leche League has a fact sheet on this? It involves a specific type of scale for high accuracy.

Otherwise - do as much kangaroo care as you can and pump your milk and bottle feed AIdyn. Keep in mind, the longer he has bottles, you may struggle with nursing when he's off the bili lights. My son struggled with nursing after bottle-feeding - my milk took almost a wk to come in despite pumping every 2-3 hrs around the clock so we had to do formula. It took until he was about 5 wks old to nurse directly from me with out a nipple shield or a bottle to top off. Kellymom.com has excellent support on their site and if you Facebook, La Leche League has a site there, there's a discussions tab where LLL leaders help answer questions.

Hope AIdyn is on his way to recovery and will be home soon!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Fri Oct 08, 2010 06:14 am

(((hugs)))

Go Aidyn go! (or should I say poop Aidyn poop!)

Both of my little ones had jaundice - and while I was never told not to BF, I had no problems with using formula to supplement because I knew they just needed to get the bili out of their systems.

Sounds to me like you have a plan in place mentally - good luck with breast feeding and enjoy the cuddle time.

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Thank you for the encouragement I am going to read that article but Wanted to update. His Bili level is down to 15.3 but they still wont let me nurse. In 24 hrs I have pumped 16oz of milk that they are refrigerating for me.

Tomorrow at 6am they draw another bili level. I am going to insist on resuming breast feeding because 1) I believe breast milk is best, and 2) my baby needs that cuddle time with mommy.

My BP right now is 160/109 and thats on labetalol. Probably have to call MD again tomorrow.

Aidyn is getting to the point he is very fussy and when I touch him his mouth goes a mile a min as if he is begging to nurse, its so sad. I miss holding him.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:44 pm

I am so sorry your going through this! :( Hang in there...prayers to you!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 pm

When my DD had to stay under the lights after I was discharged, I had a nurse in the nursery tell me there was no "need" for them to use formula. That if I could pump, they'd give her EBM - it was really just that they needed to know *exactly* how much fluid/food they were eating.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”