High BP Postpartum

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
beth0277

Re : High BP Postpartum

Postby beth0277 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 am

I would put a call in to your doctor. I would imagine they would want to put you on BP meds until you can slowly wean off of them. I was on them for about 4 months post-partum, which is not uncommon for women with PE. Even on the meds, I had a lot of fluctuation in my BP.

How is your little one doing?

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:13 am

It wouldn't hurt to be checked out. It sounds like since you don't have additional symptoms you are one of those that it might just take a little while for your pressures to normalize. I was like that...had elevated bp postpartum, but did not have postpartum pre-e. I did go on meds shortly after discharge, and it helped to normalize things. I weaned about 6-8 mos postpartum.

That said you are still in the timeframe to be at risk for pp pre-e so keep an eye out for any of those symptoms.

ch3lsea

Postby ch3lsea » Tue Oct 05, 2010 01:12 am

I would call...my bp has been high since delivery as well and they put me on bp medication when I was discharged. If it was staying 130's/80's they probably wouldn't put you on anything but since you are getting numbers like 160s/100s you might have to be put on meds =/ I'd call just to be safe

dwine10

High BP Postpartum

Postby dwine10 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:54 pm

I was induced on 9/24 at 37 weeks when my BP 160/110 and +2 protein. I left the hospital on 9/26 with BP in the 130s over 80s. For the past 3 days my BP has consistently been in the 150s/90s again with occasionally readings around 160s/100s. I did have a headache yesterday most of the day, but otherwise no other symptoms like swelling or visual changes. If I lay down my BP is completely normal and low. I have my 2 week PP appointment on Friday. Do I need to call and ask to be seen earlier? Should I expect to be put on BP meds or bedrest with such numbers?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”