Reflux question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alsgirl2002

Re : Reflux question

Postby alsgirl2002 » Tue Jun 29, 638945 2:05 pm

Thanks. I'm glad to hear you all don't think its pre-e related. My BP is up again with mild URQ pain. Its like a stabbing feeling just below my right breast behind my ribs. Had the reflux last night, but took some zantac, which doesn't really help, and then slept sitting up. The sitting up thing is the key. Woke this morning, BP was 142/92, but 120/74 a half hour later after getting ready for work. I need to go back to sleep! On one hand, I am hoping for bed rest next week, but on the other hand, I would like to make it thru this week and next before bed rest since I am feeling ok. If my BP keeps acting up this way I am probably out of time.

korie

Postby korie » Sat Jun 19, 638945 11:57 am

I had very severe reflux with my second pregnancy, like you only heartburn in the first pregnancy. I am on my 3rd pregnancy and it just started this week again. I know from my last two, once it arrives it will continue to get worse until I deliver. I have never heard this is related to pre-e, my pre-e wasn't severe with my second pregnancy when I had the reflux so terrible. It is no fun, I wish I had some advice for you but I mostly just suffer through it.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Jun 18, 638945 7:07 pm

I also had pretty nasty reflux with DD; I didn't have heartburn the first time with DS's pregnancy. I was rxed prilosec to take every day by the MFM; taking it every day with or without reflux symptoms was the only way I could stay ahead of it (like you, it caused vomiting). Even with the meds, toward the end, I had to sleep in an upright position to keep it at bay enough for me to get some sleep. You can always ask for bloodwork just to be sure that it isn't preeclampsia-related discomfort; I requested them a few times during the last trimester just to ease my mind a little. Hope you can get some relief!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Jun 18, 638945 4:40 pm

I had terrible heartburn and reflux in my pregnancy with my son. At some point during my pregnancy I wouldn't eat past a certain time in the early evening, otherwise it was truly awful when I went to bed at night. I still would have heartburn and some reflux but not as bad as those evenings when I ate in the evening. It really is no fun....and yes I do think it is a fairly normal pregnancy symptom. Some people get it worse than others, and some have more heartburn than reflux and vice versa.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Fri Jun 18, 638945 4:40 pm

That's awful. I'm so sorry, but I do hope it's just a "normal" pregnancy discomfort!

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Fri Jun 18, 638945 4:23 pm

Alison, no, I'm still working. Under drs orders, I eliminated a bunch of night stuff I had going on (school, meetings for work) and that really helped my BPs, at least for the last week.

This isn't heartburn. Its reflux. Like I said, I can taste it. Pretty disgusting at times actually.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Fri Jun 18, 638945 2:15 pm

Are you on bedrest at all? I got really bad heartburn when I was on bedrest with my second, because I wasn't up and moving around.

alsgirl2002

Reflux question

Postby alsgirl2002 » Fri Jun 18, 638945 1:44 pm

I have been having periodic bouts of reflux overnight. I never had this with my daughter, just bad heartburn. The last couple of weeks, I have woken several times from the reflux. Originally, I had been waking from the burning. I would take some zantac and that did the trick. Then it progressed to where I could actually taste (sorry - TMI) the bile/vomit in my throat. Still zantac did the trick. Then this past sat night/sun morning I woke at 2am in the midst of vomiting from the reflux but managed to stop it by sitting up. Took more zantac and propped myself to go back to sleep. Last night I took the zantac at 9p already feeling the heartburn, it didn't help, so I slept propped up again till around 2a which seemed to do the trick. BP has actually been really good, feeling relatively good, with no significant URQ pain that couldn't also be explained by baby's position. Does this seem to be normal pregnancy woes, or something I should be more concerned about?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”