Wondering about morning sickness

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
samarasmom

Re : Wondering about morning sickness

Postby samarasmom » Sat Apr 14, 637032 6:19 pm

With all my preg I had hyperemisis. EVEN the 2 miscarraiges that I lost at 8 and 10 wks along but when the morning sickness went away I knew something was wrong and that i had lost the babies and tpld the docs, but for some reason it took them several days to confirm.

Sandra 23
EDD 08/24/04
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sat Apr 14, 637032 5:55 pm

On when your sick, I NEVER had morning sickness until week 12+,
With Alex it was 13-20 and with Mason it was just a little bit from 12-14.

With Alex even the thought of food made me sick.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

sherry fisher

Postby sherry fisher » Sat Apr 14, 637032 5:49 pm

Ok, my 'non medical', personal experience! Sheesh....dont come after me with the keyboard keys....please! lol

I have 4...all of which were blessed with no morning sickness. I did have some neasea with a couple. Nothing severe and it did not last long. My mom has 3 of us. No PE with any. And she was the exact same. Some nasea...again, nothing severe. I on the other hand, had some form of PE, PIH throuout all my PG's. Her...healthy PG's.

I think there is a 'study' for everything. I think its very easy for that person doing that study to find something 'relavent' to what they are looking for, at some point throughout the course of the study.

***This is just my opinion!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) Anna 04/06/04 - PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Baby Annna;
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/

kim

Postby kim » Sat Apr 14, 637032 5:30 pm

Here's my two cents...

I had hyperemesis gravidarum. On meds that chemo patients take until delivery at 36 weeks. I had one week of feeling "normal," and by six weeks, was admitted to the hospital... I can tell you that HG is dangerous for the mom and baby, especially 2nd trimester miscarriages. However, I do not know much about regular morning sickness... I think each body handles pregnancy and hormones differently...

Regular ms may be somewhat psychosomatic, but tell any HG'er that it's in their heads, and we're going to freak out...

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

angelical

Postby angelical » Sat Apr 14, 637032 2:38 pm

I don't know about what links or suggestions there are with m/s and gender, miscarriage, whatever... All I know is that I had hyperemesis from about 10 weeks til about 25 weeks. (3 weeks before developing severe pree & HELLP) So, in thinking of (never) getting pregnant again, I am as worried about that as all of the pree stuff! :-P

(I had a boy.)

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH

brazen

Postby brazen » Sat Mar 10, 637032 4:00 pm

well, to throw a spanner in the works regarding the boy/girl thing i was sick as a dog from weeks 5-31 with ryan and this one (supposed to be a girl) i had a couple of weeks at 17-19 weeks. that's it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan James, 6 weeks early 30/5/03
Emelia Rose Elizabeth due late august 04

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 29, 637032 5:39 am

Yup, yer nuts. I was vomiting before I even took a pregnancy test.. so psychosomatic isn't my thing, I don't think. I never have regular periods, so my only clue to take a HPT is the ceaseless throwing up, both times.

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Feb 29, 637032 4:10 am

Please don't flame me...... perhaps sometimes there is a psychosomatic component to morning sickness, in addition to all the hormonal elements. Last time around I didn't feel nauseous once, until I discovered that I was pregnant. So what? Well, for me personally, I'd have morning sickness worst in the 7-10 week period and this time, I didn't figure it out until I was almost 13 weeks..... Then I was more nauseous than ever before and it lasted longer... I was still vomiting at 20 weeks. This confirms for me... that I'm just nuts.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

tammy

Postby tammy » Wed Feb 29, 637032 1:30 am

I only had very little nausea with both my pregnancies. A girl at my work said "Little sickness means a boy." I am sure an old wives tale also but she said girls raise youy Hcg quicker and it makes you more sick. Who knows every pregnancy is different.

Tammy

Liam 10/26/03/34weeks/PE
Joshua 1/22/92 PE free

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 29, 637032 1:27 am

I totally agree suz- I don't think it means any more than what the studies say- that there is decreased incidence of early miscarriage- which to the preterm labor or repeat miscarriage folks might mean quite a bit.

Other than that, I don't think it means anything at all, or even anything after 20 weeks! I think, though, from a moderator's standpoint, I worry that we tend to discount things that we don't wish to believe or personally observe to be true, and I think that can work on an individual basis-- but I worry for women who will come across these discussions at a later point, and I always hope that we can call a spade a spade, ykwim? Be it diet, or supplements, or whatever--Whether it's good, bad, or ugly news we want people to be operating under the most accurate information we can provide.

DJA- I have read studies that indicate that high second trimester HCG levels are often found in women who will go on to develop preeclampsia- so in fact the opposite could be true- morning sickness in the second trimester (caused by the high hcg levels) could theoretically be a sign that preeclampsia is to come.

Still, I don't think a lack of morning sickness really does mean anything at all- other than what Suz said about how some people acclimate to the hormones easier than others do.

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

Return to “Ask the Experienced”