New here ; introduction and question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re : New here ; introduction and question

Postby sam10 » Sun Jun 06, 638945 3:43 pm

I wondered the same, why my case was not flagged, b/c of my results. I think that it would have been very helpful for me if more information would have been shared at that time, so at least I could have asked my ob about it, even though nothing much else could have been done at the time of diagnosis.

And yes, I think there are many other possible placenta issues, but I am not sure if in correlation to a low PAPP-a.

jurate00

Postby jurate00 » Sun Jun 06, 638945 10:58 am

Sam10- i think my PAPP-a were low too if i remeber correctly. I need to request records from my OB as well so i can see the report for myself.
I am just confused - if they KNOW it could be placenta issue , why they not being proactive and watch a patient more closely from the get go. Tell about possible signs and symptoms- swelling, headaches etc - instead i was told repeatedly that i was having normal pregancy symptoms. Which i know they could be , but if you know i could possibly be at risk having placenta issues don't brush this off. talk about it early on. ughhh
or is it when they tell possible placenta issues - they think there could be all kind placenta issues not necessarily PE ?

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu May 27, 638945 1:47 pm

My AFP levels were high which in my case they thought might indicate spina bifida, but ruled it out with a level II u/s and thought it could be a placenta/growth issue. At 23 wks I came down with HELLP (but not technically diagnostic for PE at all), and our daughter had growth restriction.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Thu May 27, 638945 11:05 am

My results for DS were bad too. It was actually my PAPP-a that was low, which resulted in this number for DS, somewhere around 1:34. Here is one of Caryn's links to a study about the correlation of low PAPP-a and PE.http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... low,PAPP-a

I think we must have had the same genetic counselor (I am also in the Boston area). After my amnio showed no results for DS, she told me the very same thing as she told you, that it could be a problem with the placenta, but not necessarily. I had NO clue what she meant by placenta problems. I never asked any further.

But I also know of a friend who had a normal quad test results and also developed PE.

jurate00

Postby jurate00 » Thu May 27, 638945 6:33 am

yes, very intresting indeed. I wish i knew more about it all then and asked more questions...
Hopefully someone who knows more can tell what they think and if there is correlation between test for DS and predicting PE

brandib

Postby brandib » Tue May 25, 638945 11:43 pm

This is verrrrry interested. Mine came back high for downs with my first child. 1:80 which for a 21 year old they told me that was high. I had severe PE and hellp. I refused the test with my other two because it made me worry soooo much the first time and I thought " I worried about Downs and kidney problems soooo much and ended up with Preeclampsia." I didnt' want to go through that again. Wonder what Caryn thinks about this/?????

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun May 16, 638945 12:30 am

Yes, with my son my risk was 1:23 for Down Syndrome, and with my daughter it was 1:16. With my son, I had the amnio because there were a couple of soft markers, and he was/is chromosomally normal, but I developed severe pre-e and delivered at 32 weeks.

With my daughter, I declined the amnio because there were no soft markers and I just knew that it meant that I was going to develop pre-e again, and I did, at 28ish weeks, but made it to 34 weeks before needing to deliver.

I'm glad you listened to your instincts and went in!!!

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Sat May 15, 638945 1:55 pm

My screen test came back very abnormal. I was 1 in 5 for ds. My amnio was fine. But since test was abnormal, it was suggested that it was a placenta problem. I had pe at 22 weeks. So I believe the screen was very accurate in my case. I saw my doc. Yesterday and she said if I get pregnant again, and the screen test comes back abnormal then they would be concerned with pe.

jurate00

New here ; introduction and question

Postby jurate00 » Sat May 15, 638945 12:58 pm

Hi there,

i've been lurking and reading these forums for a while now and learning something new every week. I guess its time to introduce myself.
Here is my story , I am sure pretty similar to many of us here.
I had a baby boy back in december at 28 weeks due to Pre-E. Needless to say the months after his birth have been very stressful. Thank God he is ok and had "fairly" smooth NICU ride, came home on his due date and is thriving healthy 9 month old baby boy now. I am just now starting to breathe really.
Anyway, i had a "healthy" pregnancy. I had no symptoms of pre-e - other than "normal" swelling towards teh end of second trimester and then some nasty headaches once a week which doctor said also is "normal". I just had a regular appt a week prior and everything was fine BP, urine stick etc. Then one night i had bad really bad side pain below my ribcage and it went away in teh morning . I was thinking maybe its something i ate but still had a nagging feeling to call the nurse and ask. Normally i try to avoid being whiny pregnant lady and never really call ...not this time- i called and she started telling me its probably heartburn. I insisted it was different. she tried to brush it off especially since the pain went away but finally said if you really feel like you want to come in , you can stop by the office . so i went there feeling fine and feeling sort of silly that i am going there for nothing . Well i get there, i pee on the stick and of course its different color than normal . Then they take blood pressure and it's 160/104 ( normally i have low BP) and i had NO symptoms at that particular moment. they sent me to L&D right away ( same hospital different floor) for NST and blood work . after blood work my Ob comes in and says- you do have pre-e we are admitting you to the hospital for 24 hr urine test and run more bloodwork. and you are going on bedrest. What did the blood work showed ? beginning stages of hellp is that how he diagnosed my pre -e? It was before my 24 hr usrine test... next day my 24 hr urine test came back over 5000 (!!!!) They did ultra sound twice and baby was fine , NST were perfect. But still they transported me to downtown Boston hospital for hospital bedrest there because of the NICU . Over there they said they will try to keep me pregnant as long as possible maybe 2 weeks sometimes happens longer. They started another 24 hr urine test and wheeled me to u/s to check on baby. The technician went silent went to call teh doctor and all i heard was lets get this started you are having this baby. I was so in shock all i remember doctors where coming in one after another - anesthesiologist, ob that will deliver my baby, neonatologist came and started talking about 28 weekers and what to expect. I was too in shock to comprehend anything. Tehn they took a woman out of operation room that was supposed to have scheduled c/s so that they could operate on me. Turns out u/s showed almost complete placenta abruption ! u/s a day before was completely fine. I had no contractions ( that i felt) no signs , no bleeding. 15 cm clot inside me and placenta was barely hanging on. I had my son within an hour of that last u/s .
to this day i think what would have happened if i listened to the nurse that my side pain was heartburn and didnt come in? i had no other symptoms up until c/s - i went to the office on Thursday and had my son on Saturday....

Anyway my main question is this. During my 12-15 week screening where they look for all genetic disorders my blood work came back with high chance of down syndrome. It was 1 in 90 i believe. i was advised to do amnio , which i did and it all came back fine. What was interesting though i met with genecist before amnio and she was going over my result and she was telling me she doubts it will be downs syndrome issue and her bet is its probably nothing but very likely some PLACENTA ISSUES . I asked what she means by that - she said it could be anything placenta related , she said tehy (MFM office) would want to watch me with regular u/s starting at 30 weeks if i go that long. I looked at her as if she has two heads. she added probably nothing will happened. i was all too worried about Down syndrome at the time to ask more.She never mentioned Pre-e nor i had any clue pre-e was placenta related at that time. So the amnio came back normal and again over the phone she was happy to tell me all is fine and she said just in case once you get closer to 30 weeks call them for more frequent u/s . I never got to 30 weeks...
do those test that screen for DS can show possible placenta issues like pre-e? Was anyone told about higher chances of DS only to get pre-e at the end ?
I just now submitted record request forms to get my records from both hospital and now thinking maybe i should request records from the office that did my quad screening test as well..
Sorry for such a long post :)

p.s after i had my son my ob said i had severe pre-e and beginning of HELLP but ultimately had to deliver this early because of placenta abruption , which i guess can be caused by pre-e

Return to “Ask the Experienced”