Should I be concerned?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelc

Re : Should I be concerned?

Postby rachelc » Sat Jun 19, 638945 12:11 pm

I am so glad that you went in. What did the doc say about your labs?

rusah

Postby rusah » Sat Jun 19, 638945 1:43 am

Hi,
So I went to L&D Friday night for the rib pain, they did a bunch of blood work and said it was fine, but I overheard the nurse on the phone twlling the doctor that some of my numbers were a little low, but not the ones they'd normally be concerned about? I wasn't sure what that meant, but was content that my liver wasn't failing at the moment! I'm going to ask my doctor about it tomorrow at my appointment :) I think one of the things that was low was my Albimum (sp?) Levels...not sure what that means! Anyway, I'm glad I have an appointment tomorrow :)

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat May 15, 638945 8:31 am

Around here any pain in the area you are describing is cause for concern and should be checked out immediately. If you can see your doctor today make an appointment otherwise, I would suggest going to L&D and having them check your bloodwork. This is something that you should not wait to tell your doctor. At the very least, put a call in and see what your doctor would like you to do. It is possible the pain is being caused by something more benign like your gall bladder but, the only way to know for sure is to get the bloodwork done. Let us know how you are doing!

rusah

Should I be concerned?

Postby rusah » Sat May 15, 638945 7:50 am

Hello,

I am pregnant with my second child. I developed preeclampsia late in my first pregnancy, and was induced at 38 weeks, just days after being diagnosed. My case is confusing as I have normally very low blood pressure (low 90's/50's), and therefore it never hit 140/90. I went in a week and a half before actually being diagnosed with extreme right rib pain, which was misdiagnosed as gall bladder pain. They checked for HELLP, but my blood work came back as being not quite bad enough to be diagnosed as such, there were signs of slight damage to my liver which they put down as being from my gall bladder. I was put on morphine to control the pain (oh yes, and my blood pressure was very high for me, I don't remember the exact numbers, but in the 130's I'm pretty sure, sorry don't remember the bottom number!), and was in hospital for 3 days. A week later I went in with a very swollen left calf, and still high blood pressure. I was induced the next day.

This time, (I am 25 weeks pregnant tomorrow) I am being watched a little more carefully, at my regular check-up a week and a half ago I noted that my blood pressure was up from my norm (it was 122/50, norm being low 90's/50), and so made an appointment for the next week to talk to my regular doctor. At that appointment my blood pressure was still up, and I asked if there had been any protein in my urine, and it was 1+. So my doctor said to take my blood pressure every day at home and write it down and come back in a week, and if it was still looking not good they'd do a 24 hour urine test.

Ever since my daughter was born and I had that horrible pain, I've had back pain in the same spot on and off, mostly in the months after she was born, but it never progressed like it did that day, just hurt in one little spot which my doctor put down as being a muscle pop, or something like that. Anyways, it had gone away by the time I got pregnant again, but in the last couple weeks it's come back again, it comes and goes but seems to be getting slightly worse. Does this sound like it could be a symptom of preeclampsia? I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just wondering if the rib pain can come and go (I will be mentioning it to my doctor at me next appointment, just wanted a second opinion!), or if it's nothing to worry about.

To describe the pain better, it's sort of a burning feeling in the ribs on the right side on my back, where my bra would go across, and every once in a while radiates a little further in on the right side.
Does this sound like a concern?

Sorry so long, I though giving my background may give you a little more insight!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”