Hypertensive specific pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Hypertensive specific pregnancy

Postby caryn » Thu May 27, 638945 12:56 am

Chronic hypertensives -- this includes women whose pressures start to rise before 20 weeks gestation -- have a one in four chance of preeclampsia in any pregnancy.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Sun Jan 20, 638943 9:40 am

I agree with the above in that they often consider hypertension to be a good reason to deliver and you can also be considered severe pre-e with high bp alone if it is high enough. So, I think hypertension probably is a bigger problem in that most people have a higher chance of developing pre-e in future pregnancies if they had pre-e before and have issues with hypertension.

That said, some of us do okay with the higher pressures, so it doesn't mean you won't or can't do well. I know in my case even though my pressures were pretty high for a while, I felt reasonably okay and things didn't get dire for me. I did get induced at 33 weeks, but there are worse examples of pre-e out there. I think the fact that I had a somewhat higher baseline normally probably helped some.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Thu Jan 10, 638943 7:11 am

I don't know but, I am willing to give you my thoughts. For me, the bp was a huge factor in the decision to deliver. The first one my bp was 180/120 and my MFM made the decision to try for induction. It was then determined that I had developed HELLP and so the induction was scratched and I delivered via c-section instead. My second, I went in to L&D with bp around 190/140 and again the decision was made to deliver. Baby #3 there were several factors but, uncontrolled high bp was pretty much at the top of the list. You can spill up to 5000 mg/dl of protein before most doctors would consider that to the main factor in the decision to deliver. I don't know that proteinuria, really affects the baby other than the fact that anything that affects the mom affects the baby. KWIM? I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't consider it to be "just" hypertension. I think that what gives you the best chance of having a healthy baby is good care and careful monitoring. It sounds like your babies do good in spite of the high bp so hopefully your chances are good of having a healthy baby.

korie

Hypertensive specific pregnancy

Postby korie » Thu Dec 27, 638942 10:29 am

Okay I am grasping at straws here but I would like to know if I have better chances for a healthy baby since my biggest issue is hypertension and not pre-e (at least as of now)? I am on max dose of labetalol, procardia and started Aldomet. They aren't doing a great job at controling my BP, but I am assuming they will let me run a bit higher since I have hypertension outside of pregnancy and my body is used to running a little higher. I know with my last pregnancies, I never had IUGR and my peris said my babies loved my high BP. I am sure they were kidding, but the babies seemed to flourish despite the BP. It was me that was the issue in both pregnancies. I am pretty sure that the BP can cause my placenta to deteriorate faster though.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”