Should I be concerned?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
beth0277

Re : Should I be concerned?

Postby beth0277 » Fri Nov 23, 638942 6:15 pm

Hmmm...I'm not a doctor but the almost 30 point rise in systolic makes me a little uncomfortable. Ultrasounds can be off but typically about a week in either direction. I would certainly ask your doctor a lot of questions. Did you have an early ultrasound to date your pregnancy? Early ultrasounds are the most accurate for dating. If you had one early and it was on track with what you thought and you are now 3 weeks behind, then I would question that. If you didn't have one, well it is hard to say.

Either way, make sure you stress your concerns to your doctor. Be your own advocate. I developed PPPE and had voiced my concerns for days but was brushed off. Not until I ended up in the ER with congestive heart failure and BP of 180/110 did anyone take me seriously and I was much sicker then than I would have been if I was treated earlier. If you feel like something is wrong, go with your instincts. Keep bugging your doctor until they take you seriously. It is your life and your baby that you are protecting! If I had to do it all over again, I would go park my behind at the doctors office and say that I wasn't leaving until they did some tests on me.

I hope everything remains stable and sincerely hope you don't have (or develop) PE. Please keep us updated!

twolilbeans

Postby twolilbeans » Fri Nov 23, 638942 5:40 pm

I talked to my doctor and he doesn't seem to be concerned about my current symptoms, and he seemed to dismiss my claim that I thought I might have had PE in my first pregnancy. Today when I was at the doctors office my bp was 122/60 which is almost 30 points above where I usually am (90's over 60). I also had an u/s and the baby is measuring three weeks behind. I was charting my ovulation for my fertility doctor and theres no way I miscalculated by three weeks.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 18, 638942 9:11 pm

Sometimes docs will do a baseline 24-hour test on women with a history of preeclampsia. Since you had facial swelling last time and are concerned, and since those tests are seriously cheap to run, I think I'd ask for one in your shoes.

twolilbeans

Postby twolilbeans » Tue Oct 09, 638942 7:33 pm

Ok, I'll definitely have the doctors watch my BP, I'm sure this new doctor I'm going to is going to do a urine test to see if I have any protein. I'm just a little paranoid because I knew something was a little off about the end of my last pregnancy, and this one hasn't felt right from the start, but I can't really figure out why. I thought maybe I could have gestational diabetes, but a friend of mine that had PE said I should check for that also. Is is normal to not have any urine tests yet? The clinic I'm going to hasn't checked my urine at all. During my first pregnancy they checked it regularly until I passed my GD 3 hour test, then they stopped checking it completely.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Tue Oct 09, 638942 5:55 pm

While there are members who have experience PE prior to 20 weeks or early onset right after, I wouldn't worry too much if your bp is low. To be diagnostic for PE your bp has to rise. HOWEVER, I wouldn't rely too heavily on the 140/90 if your bp is consistantly really really low. I would make the doctors start to pay attention if your bp is getting significantly higher for you- 30 pts higher on top and 15 higher on bottom. For normal bp that is 115/75 that means you start to worry when it jumps or creeps to 145/90. If your bp is normally 95/60 though, you might start worrying at 130/80.

Just watch for what is not normal for you and your body, and make sure that you let each and every doctor you see know about your concerns if your bp is higher.

Otherwise, I would just take it easy and try not to worry about PE until your BP or protein starts to climb.

twolilbeans

Postby twolilbeans » Tue Oct 09, 638942 11:38 am

I'm a few days shy of 20 weeks right now.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Tue Oct 09, 638942 9:10 am

Welcome!

How many weeks are you?

twolilbeans

Should I be concerned?

Postby twolilbeans » Mon Oct 08, 638942 7:27 pm

I am new here and I haven't been diagnosed with PE, but I'm getting a little bit concerned. I had a non-scheduled visit with one of the OB's at the clinic I go to (they have rotations with their doctors so you never see the same doctor more than a few times) and what he said really bothered me. I went in with a list of symptoms and his response was, "well if you were to come to me later in your pregnancy with these symptoms I'd be really concerned, but since it's still early I dont think you should worry about it." This bothered me a lot and I'm in the process of changing doctors. Here is a list of symptoms, I'm hoping since some of you are experienced with PE you can tell me if I'm just being paranoid or not.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Headaches that last days
Swelling in my hands
Nausea
Hot flashes, dizziness and weakness
Vision changes with and without a headache

I know a lot of these are symptoms of PE, but I have really low blood pressure. My BP is low (last check up a few days ago it was 93/60) during my pregnancies and even when I'm not pregnant. Can you get PE with a low BP? I haven't had my urine checked yet, but as soon as I have an appt with my new doctor I'll have that looked at. Also, I'm pretty sure I may have had PE at the end of my last pregnancy. I've had several people tell me they thought I had it because my face was severely swollen (I just thought it was fat from gaining too much weight). I gained weight very rapidly in my last 4 weeks, so rapidly it just didn't make any sense at all (8 lbs in one week).

Am I just reading too much into my symptoms or should I really be concerned?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”